Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where did everyone go? Has the gold dried out?

+4
yellowmellow
Kon61gold
pablop
Shinegold
8 posters

Go down

Where did everyone go? Has the gold dried out? Empty Where did everyone go? Has the gold dried out?

Post  Shinegold Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:00 am

As per title, it's like the internet is a ghost town, regarding metal detecting.

I've been away from gold detecting for about 15 years, I'm thinking of getting back. There hasn't been much in the way of flagship metal detectors. I don't know if everyone just suddenly stopped. Has the gold dried out? What happened?

I remember a few years ago there was a lot of activity on forums, now there's hardly anything, most gold detecting forums have one or two responses that week.
Shinegold
Shinegold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2008-12-04

Back to top Go down

Where did everyone go? Has the gold dried out? Empty Re: Where did everyone go? Has the gold dried out?

Post  pablop Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:39 am

I am afraid that old age (>80) and four operations associated significant joint issues has left me as an armchair detectorist.  Not the way I like it, but I still like to see what other folk are are doing.
pablop
pablop
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2015-01-17

geof_junk, Shinegold and pablop like this post

Back to top Go down

Where did everyone go? Has the gold dried out? Empty Re: Where did everyone go? Has the gold dried out?

Post  Kon61gold Mon Oct 23, 2023 1:33 pm

The gold side, although a little more scarcer to find, is still out there to be found, but people now are opting more for their own YouTube channel sites, Facebook, Instagram, twitter etc,etc, leaving less room towards contributing on forum sites. Smile
Less new technology is on the nearby horizon, the latest metal detecting technology, has all but reached its limits.
As for management & or some other long standing members on here, I'm quite sure we're all enjoying the peace & quiet we've had over the last year or so as compared to the chaos & anarchy, we've all experienced through the days of Covid-19.
As for myself, I can only pray (more sooner than later) that common sense in way of peace takes hold over the world once again, for we are living in disturbing turbulent times, not knowing what more to expect from one day to the next.
Welcome back Shinegold.

Cheers Kon T25

Kon61gold
Kon61gold
Management

Number of posts : 4514
Registration date : 2008-10-16

https://golddetecting.forumotion.net

bushbasher90, jmp333, pablop, xmas tree and maurifree like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  yellowmellow Wed Oct 25, 2023 5:29 pm

Yeah spoke to my mates at coiltek last week at mb they say the 6k is going to just about the last model ever made by minelab.

besides alot of companies thesedays just dont have the money to make more advanced things anymore either.

alot of companies are a tight ship.

there could be another model but thats more then 10 years away.

the tech has hit it max and this is it.

i have the scd2300 and is the most popular model most city folk buy it and like only go swinging now and then and switch on go type of model.

they say the 6k is just an enhanced sdc2300

all the best out there

keep safe
yellowmellow
yellowmellow
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1695
Registration date : 2009-06-24

maurifree likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  hotrock Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:08 pm

is there less land to detect on in victoria then 20 years ago with the environmental laws

hotrock
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2011-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post  moredeep Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:32 pm

Hi hotrock,I think the land area hasn't change but there is less gold to detect Question
Hopefully the gold works its way a little closer to the surface each year? or is that just an old wives tale???
Either way I'll still get out a wander the hills daydreaming and enjoying a cold frothy at the end Q11 cheers

cheers moredeep
moredeep
moredeep
Management

Number of posts : 1867
Registration date : 2018-05-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Reg Wilson Sat Nov 25, 2023 6:07 am

Not all the gold is gone. I recently saw a nice (not so small) colour found by a certain persistent Castlemaine prospector, with whom it is my pleasure to enjoy occasional company and 'cold frothy'.
Reg Wilson
Reg Wilson
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 624
Registration date : 2012-05-14

staples61 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  moredeep Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:00 pm

Laughing
moredeep
moredeep
Management

staples61 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  LongBrown Mon Nov 27, 2023 4:15 pm

Just one of Reggies old nuggets you staged a photo shoot for aye ?
Found at “Tarnagulla” wink wink 😉

LongBrown
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2023-02-20

Back to top Go down

Post  moredeep Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:27 pm

If it was one of Reg's nuggets it would have been a bit bigger than 60gms more like 60 oz Laughing
And yep it was Tarnagulla, one of the most flogged area's in the GT .You just have to put the coil over it Detecting Holy Moly

cheers    moredeep

Last edited by moredeep on Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
moredeep
moredeep
Management

Reg Wilson and adrian ss like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  LongBrown Tue Nov 28, 2023 6:15 pm

Well the town could use the attention anyway I suppose.
Very nice piece.

LongBrown
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2023-02-20

Back to top Go down

Post  moredeep Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:20 pm

The caravan park closed many years ago, the pub is shut & for sale.
There's only a little mixed business/post office that supplies the basics Sad
The gold mine shut up as well.
The caravan park was the main drop in place for the prospector which intern kept Tarna alive.

http://home.vicnet.net.au/~tarnagul/photogallery/gallery3/index.php/mining

cheers    moredeep
moredeep
moredeep
Management

hiluxer likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  yellowmellow Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:27 pm

kind of the weather has been putrid and not the weather to go out.

for me its due to been so busy this time of year and i have a new job and just can not get around driving 2 hours and staying the night somewhere and driving home it time consuming.

i just have been too busy but i do intend to get out more in the Vic golden triangle come feb 2024.

I have only been detecting 4 times this year.

yellowmellow
yellowmellow
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1695
Registration date : 2009-06-24

hiluxer likes this post

Back to top Go down