Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A bit of Pilbara gold

5 posters

Go down

A bit of Pilbara gold Empty A bit of Pilbara gold

Post  fredsnugget Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:56 am

Nice little overnight trip out in the Pilbara, Whim creek generalish area.
Pretty sure the track in hasn't been used for a while so the poor old trusty Hilux has some new pin stripping, but for a first time visit to the area for a look around, I think it might hold a bit of potential. A lot of older detector holes around but very few fresh ones which is good. And near on no rubbish. Almost every target was gold, other than a bit of surface rubbish around old camps that you could see. Only actually dug up one bit of rusty steel for 9 little nuggets. Best target to rubbish ratio I've ever had.A bit of Pilbara gold Whim_c10
A bit of Pilbara gold Whim_c11
fredsnugget
fredsnugget
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2012-08-11

geof_junk, Detectist, charliec, AnnieL, Greg T, Oldfella, adrian ss and like this post

Back to top Go down

A bit of Pilbara gold Empty Re: A bit of Pilbara gold

Post  Guest Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:04 am

Very Happy

Last edited by davsgold on Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Kon61gold Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:45 am

Nice bits of gold. Well done to you fredsnugget. The ratio would be a little different here in Vic, 9 bits of junk & if lucky, one bit of colour. Shocked Laughing

Kon. T25
Kon61gold
Kon61gold
Management

Number of posts : 4514
Registration date : 2008-10-16

https://golddetecting.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  fredsnugget Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:09 am

A bit of Pilbara gold Whim_110
A bit of Pilbara gold I42.servimgA bit of Pilbara gold Whim410
om/u/f42/17/80/60/84/whim210.jpg" />
A bit of Pilbara gold Whim310

A bit of Pilbara gold Whim211

Went out for another swing at my new favourite spot, only had an afternoon and a morning there before I had to head home. Unfortunately the station was shooting ferals out there after that. It definitely pays to have a good relationship with station managers and work with them, getting shot is never high on my agenda when detecting.  Still managed another 20 little bits all within 200m of the car and only 4 bits of lead, there is just bugger all rubbish there, almost every target is gold.
Definitely parked on the gold and the sunrise I got to enjoy my morning coffee to was just spectacular. I think the next trip out in a few weeks might have to be a bit longer. Even picked up a bit that almost looks crystalline, would be happy to hear others opinions. Its only just on half a gram but looks a bit different to the rest.
Hopefully spend a few days out there next time and try find some of the bigger bits that are rumoured to hide out there.
fredsnugget
fredsnugget
Contributor
Contributor

geof_junk, Detectist, charliec, AnnieL, adrian ss, moredeep and Dunks50 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  moredeep Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:30 pm

Great going Fred, good looking gold as well, certainly looks a bit crystalline, I'm no expert either.
Beautiful dawn picture as well, I'm cleaning up my drool as I type Laughing Laughing

cheers moredeep
moredeep
moredeep
Management

Number of posts : 1867
Registration date : 2018-05-23

fredsnugget and dundiggin like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Salt-d Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:09 pm

Looks like your found a good area, nice work.
Salt-d
Salt-d
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 99
Registration date : 2012-07-09

Back to top Go down

Post  fredsnugget Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:16 am

Spent another weekend out at my little honey hole and even managed to get the better half to come along. She normally gets bored detecting but really got into it this time. The sun setting didn't stop her as she donned the headtorch and kept going. She got 9 bits with the SDC and I got another 24 with the 7.
Found it interesting with the z search that on high yield/difficult i picked up 10 bits. Swapped to general/difficult to try it out and finds dried up, only 4 bits. Went back to high yield and another 10 showed up on the same ground.
Everything was sub gram but the z search was giving a very defined signal when most were 6-8" down, thought general might have pinged some deeper bits but wasn't the case.
I think the missus may have caught the bug now, I might have to share my gold now lol. She even got a tiny bit about 3m from the tent.

A bit of Pilbara gold 20211012
A bit of Pilbara gold 20211011
A bit of Pilbara gold 20211010
fredsnugget
fredsnugget
Contributor
Contributor

jmp333, Detectist, charliec, xmas tree and moredeep like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  moredeep Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:40 pm

hook line and sinker Laughing
Watch out though Fred, you'll end up loosing the Z to the wife affraid Laughing
Nice going cheers

cheers moredeep
moredeep
moredeep
Management

Back to top Go down

Post  fredsnugget Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:11 pm

Not likely any time soon, I would have to give her the rules as she gave me" When you find enough gold to pay for a new detector you can have one" lol
Just glad she is finally getting in to it, she has always been happy to come out but just enjoys the solitude of camp and a good book with no phone service( As long as the beer is cold). Apparently gold right under her feet almost literally has changed her mind, was a bit cooler at night to
fredsnugget
fredsnugget
Contributor
Contributor

geof_junk, charliec and moredeep like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  fredsnugget Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:01 am

I thought my little honey hole had dried up but it seems it just had a break and re appeared about 300m away. After 2days of nothing at all finally found another nice compact patch. Managed 13 nuggets in 3 hours, including a ripper 6.5 grammer down a good depth that i almost walked away from. Glad I didn't. Will definitely be going back to investigate every little moan that is repeatable. All this in a little area about 50m x 50m.
12" NF is working well but  give the 14" a run in deep gold just to see if the deeper ones ping a bit better

A bit of Pilbara gold 20211110

A bit of Pilbara gold 20211112

A bit of Pilbara gold 20211111

A bit of Pilbara gold 20211113
fredsnugget
fredsnugget
Contributor
Contributor

bushranger, charliec and moredeep like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  moredeep Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:00 pm

well done Fred, you're getting good depth with that coil.
Good looking nugget Q38 and by the way how much did the fly weigh Q34
keep going mate, there has to be a cracker there somewhere cheers

cheers moredeep
moredeep
moredeep
Management

Back to top Go down

Post  fredsnugget Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:17 pm

Fly wouldn't stay still long enough to weigh him sorry.
Had one last trip out last night just in case a bigger one showed up but no luck unfortunately. 6 tiddlers for 2.4g still kept me happy.
Also realise my scales were in pennyweight not grams, so my little slug just got a bit bigger lol.
The sunsets out there are gold in themselves and a great way to finish the day. Also found a nice bit of rock art too, just goes to show, it doesn't matter how remote, someone has always been there before.

A bit of Pilbara gold Pilbar11
A bit of Pilbara gold Rock_a12
A bit of Pilbara gold Rock_a11

Will have to wait till next year now to go back out, as I have some friends from down south coming up for a prospecting holiday and want me to find a spot. Decided it would be more fun to share the spoils with good friends around the campfire as I have only really worked a very small area of some very good looking ground. The wait is going to kill me but I cant think of a better spot to spend 2 weeks. Now for June next year to get here.
All up was a very worthwhile 40e to get with just over an ounce all up in 7 trips out there, and all from one strip of dirt about 150m wide and 700m long.

A bit of Pilbara gold Whim_c13

A bit of Pilbara gold Whim_c12
fredsnugget
fredsnugget
Contributor
Contributor

charliec and moredeep like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:47 pm

Should have kept quiet about that Rock Art mate. That area will end up being closed to detecting and prospecting. Rolling Eyes
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 4365
Registration date : 2015-07-03

geof_junk likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  fredsnugget Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:46 pm

All good Adrian, the rock art is about 40km away. Even so things like this I would rather see preserved, would be waste for something that has stood the test of time so long be ruined for some one chasing a bit of gold.
fredsnugget
fredsnugget
Contributor
Contributor

adrian ss and moredeep like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:04 pm

It is in a strange location out in the open and exposed to the weather but does not appear to have weathered very much.
If you don't let on where it is then it should last for a good time yet. On the other hand if it has been there for a few thousand years without interference and if nobody knows it is there then it doesn't matter aye?... Like I mean it and the world will survive.
It is interesting though...Looks a bit African.
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  fredsnugget Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:15 pm

Its similar to some of the rock art on the Burrup Peninsula near Dampier. A lot are in the open. There are fragments of other pictures scattered down the hill where the rocks have fallen. Have an elder living across the road from me, so will ask him of meaning/significance. There are a lot of these scattered across the Pilbara
fredsnugget
fredsnugget
Contributor
Contributor

adrian ss and moredeep like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:39 am

Curious shaped rock formations, not ragged or jagged like most and you have got to wonder what caused the break up and scattering of these rocks. (maybe glaciers from an ice age ) Certainly they would be dated quite ancient. Any meteor craters in the region? say within a hundred k.
  Good luck in keeping the curious out.
Some of my old didgeridoo have artwork similar to what you have shown . Real didg, not tourist types.
Also have a nice Hunting boomerang that was created by a chap at the Hermannsburg Mission back in the mid fifties. I was kid and ordered it through an "Australian Post" advert. Cost a 10 shillings money order. (A years pocket money savings for me at the time)
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

moredeep likes this post

Back to top Go down