Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SMRs (Small Modular reactors) & Uranium Glass & Stuff

+4
planetcare
geof_junk
moredeep
Kon61gold
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

SMRs  (Small Modular reactors) & Uranium Glass & Stuff - Page 2 Empty Re: SMRs (Small Modular reactors) & Uranium Glass & Stuff

Post  Minermike Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:13 pm

Geothermal power is the go, plenty of it in Australia .
Minermike
Minermike
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1595
Registration date : 2011-07-25

Back to top Go down

SMRs  (Small Modular reactors) & Uranium Glass & Stuff - Page 2 Empty Re: SMRs (Small Modular reactors) & Uranium Glass & Stuff

Post  adrian ss Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:18 pm

Too expensive, Too complicated to achieve here on a large scale.
Not easy to get heat in hot rocks 2000 metres below the surface to heat a vast water supply and convert it to steam.
It works in New Zealand because the water is not deep and it is heated by volcanism which is also not deep.
Also in Australia the hot geothermal water is only around 80 or so degrees C which means it would have to be heated even more before it would be of use.
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 4329
Registration date : 2015-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:20 pm

Just found this. Interesting reading.
https://www.smh.com.au/education/the-heat-is-on-as-australia-plumbs-the-depths-20150516-gh35jr.html
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Minermike Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:41 pm

They do not have to convert it to steam , see the one at Winton Q'land .

When Geodynamics drilled a deep bore , they were surprised to find hot brine water at that depth . You get the energy from heat transfer , it does not have to be steam or made into steam .
Minermike
Minermike
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:27 am

My understanding is that:

For geothermal electricity power production:

Hot water is pumped from deep underground through a well under high pressure.
When the water reaches the surface, the pressure is dropped, which causes the water to turn into steam.
The steam spins a turbine, which is connected to a generator that produces electricity.

In Australia there is not a lot of hot underground water but plenty of hot rock.
The water has to be forced through the rock to pick up heat it is then pumped to the surface, turned to steam that drives a turbine that produces electricity that heats and lights the house that jack built. Very Happy
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Minermike Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:05 am

Geodynamics ran the Habanero Geothermal Project in S.A. The pilot plant ran for 160 days . Well head temp. was 215 ° c.

More info . can be found here https://arena.gov.au
Minermike
Minermike
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  roofa Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:06 pm

gaday miner Mike , this is off topic, haven't been on here for 6 years, and seen your still around,how did you go with bitcoin and etherium, it was around 120$ wen yiu first told us about, im into crypto, because of you, hope people took your advice way back then, i know people were cautious, good to see your still around

roofa
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2010-10-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Minermike Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:04 pm

Yes, I am still around !   I have not  made any money from cryptos as yet   .   Looking at setting up a robot to do the buying and selling .  Go  to www.pionex.com     The robot will set the limits or you  can set your own . It is free .

I did own 10 Bitcoin in Aug. 2016 cost $793 each . It would be nice if I still had them .
Minermike
Minermike
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  roofa Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:17 pm

ok, thats a pity you didn't hang onto any, i was same i sold etherium, but wasn't clued up then, i been checking bots out, bitcoin has risen dramatically this week, if it can get to 46.000, its game on, and the bull run will continue, ok mate good luck

roofa
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2010-10-10

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2