Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Small modular nuclear reactor that was hailed by Coalition as future cancelled due to rising costs

3 posters

Go down

Small modular nuclear reactor that was hailed by Coalition as future cancelled due to rising costs Empty Small modular nuclear reactor that was hailed by Coalition as future cancelled due to rising costs

Post  planetcare Fri Nov 10, 2023 1:28 pm

“The projected cost of the NuScale project had blown out from US$3.6bn for 7,200 megawatts in 2020 to US$9.3bn for 462MW last year. It failed after securing subscriptions for only 20% of the required capital from a Utah-based consortium of electricity companies.”
https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/small-modular-nuclear-reactor-that-was-hailed-by-coalition-as-future-cancelled-due-to-rising-costs/ar-AA1jDxuK?ocid=winp1taskbar&cvid=3404aed1b4ad4dd186c4aaa2bbad70c2&ei=17

planetcare
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 740
Registration date : 2019-09-27

Back to top Go down

Small modular nuclear reactor that was hailed by Coalition as future cancelled due to rising costs Empty Re: Small modular nuclear reactor that was hailed by Coalition as future cancelled due to rising costs

Post  adrian ss Sat Nov 11, 2023 6:26 am

My Comp will not allow access to that site/link.

adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 4351
Registration date : 2015-07-03

Back to top Go down

Small modular nuclear reactor that was hailed by Coalition as future cancelled due to rising costs Empty Re: Small modular nuclear reactor that was hailed by Coalition as future cancelled due to rising costs

Post  hiluxer Sat Nov 11, 2023 5:46 pm

adrian ss wrote:My Comp will not allow access to that site/link.

Try this direct link to the article:
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2023/nov/09/small-modular-nuclear-reactor-that-was-hailed-by-coalition-as-future-cancelled-due-to-rising-costs

hiluxer
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2017-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Tue Nov 14, 2023 4:55 pm

Seems that small nuclear Reactors (SMRs) are doing very well in submarines and other military ships inc some Icebreakers.....Been a few glitches along the way but performing very well now.
  40 years between refueling stops is good aye!

Radiation exposure to the crews is on average 1.3mSv per year.....That is less than what I am exposed to just sitting at this computer per year which is approx 1.57mSv/y.
It has been yonks since the last military reactor accident....We all know how long a yonk is aye!   A bloody long time.
I will admit that I was surprised to learn that there are plenty of nuke powered ships on our oceans, more than just one or two that is for sure.

Have a read of this if you have a minute ta spare.  Very Happy
https://world-nuclear.org/information-library/non-power-nuclear-applications/transport/nuclear-powered-ships.aspx
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

geof_junk likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  hiluxer Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:39 pm

[quote="adrian ss"]Seems that small nuclear Reactors (SMRs) are doing very well in submarines and other military ships inc some Icebreakers.....Been a few glitches along the way but performing very well now.
  40 years between refueling stops is good aye!

That's an interesting article you've linked, but note that marine reactors are not SMRs as you state. And they aren't akin to nuclear power plant reactors either, as the article makes clear:
"They have long core lives, so that refuelling is needed only after 10 or more years, and new cores are designed to last 50 years in carriers and 30-40 years (over 1.5 million kilometres) in most submarines, albeit with much lower capacity factors than a nuclear power plant (<30%)."

hiluxer
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2017-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:25 pm

OK Ok I should have said "For decades, micro-reactors have silently powered fleets of submarines and aircraft carriers.)
Power factor does not have to be high coz  a sub or carrier is small, unlike a city of millions of people that requires all the power they can get without wastage.
   SMRs WOULD BE IDEAL TO POWER HOSPITALS THAT DEPEND ON A 100% RELIABLE ELECTRICITY SUPPLY and I would suggest that they be Analogue controlled to avoid any chance of hacking or piracy.
A military power driving their subs from solar panels or wind power will b laughed out the war
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down