Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GP Extreme, can they still compete with the new ones.

+2
PeterInSa
Thunda
6 posters

Go down

GP Extreme, can they still compete with the new ones. Empty GP Extreme, can they still compete with the new ones.

Post  Thunda Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:04 am

G'day everyone.

I have just joined after catching a YouTube video, it got me motivated again.

I'm in my early seventy's and retired a few years ago, l've lived and worked in the back country almost all my life, from soldier to station work, mining, road train operator and pro fisherman.

2000 l bought a GP Extreme detector and intended to retire from all the Gold l found, l gave it a go from Victoria to Norte East of Kalgoorlie, not a bloody thing.

Now I've been thinking of giving it another go, but this time with a different approach, but is the 21 year old GP Extreme still competitive to these new gadgets?

I'd like to hear from some old timers that have still got one or have compared them, thanks in advance.

Thunda
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2021-02-13

Back to top Go down

GP Extreme, can they still compete with the new ones. Empty Re: GP Extreme, can they still compete with the new ones.

Post  Guest Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:36 am

Hi Thunda. The best way to look at your question is, when the GP Extreme first came out, it was the best machine in its field on the day. Yes sure, there is better machines out there today than there was 20 years ago. But remember, gold has never changed, the ground has never changed. Only the technology has changed to find it. So the answer to your question is "Yes" your machine has the same chance of finding gold today as it did 20 years ago. I've got a mate that is still running around with Minelab 1600 and he still finds gold.
wombat Wink

Back to top Go down

GP Extreme, can they still compete with the new ones. Empty Re: GP Extreme, can they still compete with the new ones.

Post  Thunda Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:09 am

Thanks for taking the time to reply Wombat.
Is it advisable to have it checked out by Minelab being as old as it is?
I've only used it for about 20 hours, its in the same condition as it was when l bought it new at around $5000 .

Thunda
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  PeterInSa Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:17 am

Hi Thunda, I agree with what Wombat says above, however in Victorian GT where I detect once or twice a year, I know that I am going over ground that Minelab detectors(and myself) have been over since the mid 60's, so I am looking for gold that others have missed, so I treat Vic outings as a social outing, catching up with old friends, maybe finding a spec or 2 and maybe an old coin. To me the extreme would do well in WA and in Tibooburra with a small coil.

I think its a case of, how much do you value your spare time, your financial position, and your philosophy on life, How much more gold would you find with a 2nd hand 2300 or 4500, and do you really care as your enjoying life out in the bush..

PeterInSa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 276
Registration date : 2018-11-05

Thunda likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Thunda Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:24 am

Petering.
You put it in perspective, and its a good way to look at it.
I've been sitting around the house trying to convince myself to go and have another look before l can't.
So now I'm getting things organised, not much fun in a wooden overcoat.

Thunda
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  PeterInSa Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:34 pm

Thunda, Have sent you a PM.

PeterInSa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 276
Registration date : 2018-11-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Axtyr Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:55 pm

G'day Thunda.

When I returned to prospecting in 2014 I bought a SD2000 and used that for a while. Some modifications were made to it but the 8" mono coil was dynamite, followed by the 14" Elite mono. All of the detectors are capable of finding the gold so long as you put the coil over it.
There is no point sending it to Minelab for a service because they no longer repair/service them. Their response will be to offer you a very minimal amount of money for it so you can then put it towards a newer machine. Believe me, you are better off keeping it under those circumstances.

Regards Axtyr.

Axtyr
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 846
Registration date : 2014-01-20

geof_junk likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Thunda Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:07 pm

Thanks for your reply Axtyr.
I guess l should find someone to show me how to use it properly.
I'm planning a trip to the big Island in early May, is there anyone you can suggest l ask for instructions, I'm prepared to pay for successful training,without it I'm wasting my time again.
Regards Thunda.

Thunda
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:16 pm

If you are planning to come to the G/T in Vic. try Coiltek Maryborough. Those boys could help you as they do training on most detectors.
Wombat Wink

Back to top Go down

Post  Thunda Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:18 pm

Thanks Wombat, I'll find their phone number and give them a call.

Thunda
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  geof_junk Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:40 pm

80% of finding gold is finding the location. 15% is knowing how to use a detector, 5% is the machine. If you are fossicking then you are going over ground that has a lot of people have beaten you to the easy gold and tiny specks is the most likely finds. In this case the smallest coil and a detector know for finding tiny bits is the best choice. On every situation the light weight coil (for size selected) improves your chance as you can detect long without being warn out and loss of attention while detecting.
geof_junk
geof_junk
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 935
Registration date : 2008-11-11

Claychipper and moredeep like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  big fella Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:51 pm

Gday. Remember. Don't worry about how many have flogged an area. You only have to be better than the last one. Simple and good luck.
Regards
big fella
big fella
big fella
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 550
Registration date : 2011-06-15

Claychipper and moredeep like this post

Back to top Go down

GP Extreme, can they still compete with the new ones. Empty Welcome ,, thunda

Post  kevlorraine2 Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:42 pm

Sent you a private message .... have a look at the top of page and click on it ....

kevlorraine2
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 504
Registration date : 2008-10-23

Back to top Go down