Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What hand held G.P.S. are people using ?

+6
Sparrowfart
geof_junk
Nightjar
GemQ
AraratGold
bowenboi
10 posters

Go down

What hand held G.P.S. are people using ? Empty What hand held G.P.S. are people using ?

Post  bowenboi Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:47 pm

Looking at buying a Garmin GPS 72 Handheld GPS . Any thoughts please ?

bowenboi
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2015-03-07

Back to top Go down

What hand held G.P.S. are people using ? Empty Re: What hand held G.P.S. are people using ?

Post  AraratGold Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:04 pm

I use my Iphone 6 with an app called " Handy GPS " Really good app !

Less than $10 once off for unlimited waypoints.

Works out in the boondocks of WA where there is no phone reception ( does not need cellular coverage ).

Cheers, Rick
AraratGold
AraratGold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 426
Registration date : 2009-03-13

bowenboi likes this post

Back to top Go down

What hand held G.P.S. are people using ? Empty Re: What hand held G.P.S. are people using ?

Post  GemQ Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:35 pm

Garmin Rino 650- Great range and ability to load your own maps T06
GemQ
GemQ
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 576
Registration date : 2012-12-24

https://www.youtube.com/user/GemQ1?feature=mhum

Nightjar, geof_junk, bowenboi and rockhunter62 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:54 pm

GemQ wrote:Garmin Rino 650- Great range and ability to load your own maps T06

Second that! Q33
Nightjar
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2689
Registration date : 2008-10-25

https://l.instagram.com/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fusr%2Fka

geof_junk, GemQ and bowenboi like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  geof_junk Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:17 pm

My and I have 3 Garmin rhino 650 and the son has the 4th since they first came out. They have the bonus of the the built in radio.
geof_junk
geof_junk
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 935
Registration date : 2008-11-11

GemQ and bowenboi like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sparrowfart Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:53 am

When in WA the wife and I use the Rino 750's and Trilobite on our phones, trilobite is the best. We use garmin etrex as backups, we also take a small UHF as backup radios.
Sparrowfart
Sparrowfart
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 564
Registration date : 2010-08-14

Nightjar, bowenboi and PeterInSa like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  hoolahoopa Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:06 pm

If I was you mate get the cheapest Garmin eg etrex 10. It does all you need. Get yourself a game 5w handheld don't muck around with any other brand.. and lastly put tribulite on your phone. That is all you need.
My opinion of the rinos is that they interfere with the detector and I'm not the only 1 in Kalgoorlie that thinks the same.

hoolahoopa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 280
Registration date : 2009-04-14

goldmuss78 and bowenboi like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:41 pm

hoolahoopa wrote:If I was you mate get the cheapest Garmin eg etrex 10. It does all you need. Get yourself a game 5w handheld don't muck around with any other brand.. and lastly put tribulite on your phone. That is all you need.
My opinion of the rinos is that they interfere with the detector and I'm not the only 1 in Kalgoorlie that thinks the same.

Each for their own of course, no offence Hoolahoopa.
We have been using our Rino 650's since they were released and no problems with the 4500's and now the SDC & GPZ.
To be able to call, send messages and able to see where we have walked and distance at the end of the day can be interesting.
Unforgiving country out there, would never buy the cheapest when it comes to safety.

Nightjar
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2689
Registration date : 2008-10-25

https://l.instagram.com/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fusr%2Fka

Acan, bowenboi and rockhunter62 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  goldmuss78 Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:46 pm

Garmin etrex 20 for me, great value

goldmuss78
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 158
Registration date : 2011-05-07

bowenboi likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Redfin Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:31 pm

Nightjar wrote:
hoolahoopa wrote:If I was you mate get the cheapest Garmin eg etrex 10. It does all you need. Get yourself a game 5w handheld don't muck around with any other brand.. and lastly put tribulite on your phone. That is all you need.

Each for their own of course, no offence Hoolahoopa.
We have been using our Rino 650's since they were released and no problems with the 4500's and now the SDC & GPZ.
To be able to call, send messages and able to see where we have walked and distance at the end of the day can be interesting.
Unforgiving country out there, would never buy the cheapest when it comes to safety.

We have had a pair of Rino 650's for years and in that time have run a 2300, 4500, 5000 and a 7000 without any dramas.

Redfin
Redfin
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 679
Registration date : 2013-02-26

bowenboi likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  geof_junk Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:55 pm

When you auto tune your detector make sure you GPS and other Electronic are switch on first this will reduce most local interference from your devices.
geof_junk
geof_junk
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 935
Registration date : 2008-11-11

AnnieL and bowenboi like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  fwdoz Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:39 pm

I have a spare Garmin GPS 72 in great nick if you are interested?
fwdoz
fwdoz
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2020-08-16

bowenboi likes this post

Back to top Go down