Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SDC Signal Query

+7
Kon61gold
billbo82
Mechanic
GoldHound
Reg Wilson
adrian ss
Sharkbait
11 posters

Go down

SDC Signal Query Empty SDC Signal Query

Post  Sharkbait Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:05 pm

G'day folks,
      Ok,calling all you wise gurus out there,i have an interesting query.
On my recent trip to the triangle,i was merrily detecting away,picking up the odd tiddler here and there,when I came across a bit of junk in the form of an old,very rusted bottom of a soup can (or baked beans??) Rolling Eyes

Anyways,when I passed the coil close to it,i got no signal,so I passed the coil right over it..still nothing,not a peep!! I thought "what the hell??"
Thinking i'm going insane,i passed the pill bottle containing the half doz. or so tiddlers i'd picked up,over the coil,and the detector screamed it's head off...now I was really gettin confused Shocked

The machine was definitely working ok,so why was it ignoring a bloody big steel can bottom?? Albeit rusted to buggery.
Would love to hear your thoughts on this little puzzler. I was using the standard SDC coil,sensitivity on 3,SteelPhase booster on Filter 1,vol around 7

PS. I also did a ground balance,and still got no signal Shocked

Here's a pic of the tiddlers that I picked up that day...………….Cheers Dave

SDC Signal Query Dscn0026
Sharkbait
Sharkbait
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 924
Registration date : 2013-03-07

Back to top Go down

SDC Signal Query Empty Re: SDC Signal Query

Post  adrian ss Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:46 pm

What is steel phase booster?
Where was the delay set?
Maybe the thing was badly enough rusted that the detector saw it as mineral iron and so not much response.
If the rusted bottom ring was broken then response would be even less.
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 4329
Registration date : 2015-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Reg Wilson Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:04 pm

Adrian, are you for real that you are unaware of what a Steelphase booster is? If I was that uninformed I would not let on.
Reg Wilson
Reg Wilson
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 624
Registration date : 2012-05-14

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldHound Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:52 pm

Thats normal with the sdc mate.
Its dialed in to ignore mineralized ground (long time constant targets) as a side benefit it masks decomposed iron.
Don't worry about this, as it still finds the tiniest bit of gold.
If the mofo makes even the slightest peep its a target.
I can't even remember getting a false or ground signal with it when I had one, and virtually no hot rocks too so if it makes any noise at all dig it!
GoldHound
GoldHound
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 547
Registration date : 2014-01-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Mechanic Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:14 pm

Perhaps the Steel Phase put the steel out of phase! Razz If only hey??

Most likely, if the can bottom was heavily rusted all of the steel might have turned to rust, which has a much higher resistance than steel and is unable to support eddy currents for long.

The SDC is really neat in the way it eliminates ground and hotrock signals.

Cheers Mick

Mechanic
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 695
Registration date : 2011-02-20

https://DetectronicsAustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:42 pm

Reg Wilson wrote:Adrian, are you for real that you are unaware of what a Steelphase booster is? If I was that uninformed I would not let on.

Sorry Reg but a steel phase booster is a term I have never heard of and have never needed to hear of. I have not encountered it anywhere else on this or any other forum or in any magazine about metal detectors. If that makes me a dumb ass then so be it.
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  billbo82 Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:52 pm

On the subject of sdc hotrocks... I get loads of them.
All of these give off a pretty good signal (like a 0.2 bit or more) and that's just the ones I kept this week. Not one shows any colour sticking out. Plan on crushing a few just to check though.SDC Signal Query 15758010
billbo82
billbo82
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 139
Registration date : 2014-02-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Kon61gold Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:34 pm

Spot on Mick. The more decomposed or rusted out a piece of steel is, the less likely Pulse Induction is capable of picking it up at depth, as opposed to the same in size chunk, of solid steel.
For a pulse induction unit to run smoothly over all or any sections of highly mineralized ground, or over all or any type hot rock, without falsing, will come at a cost of depth to the smaller in size, positive in-ground, or on ground targets.
We've all heard the saying "if you're finding shot gun pellets'' you're most likely to find gold, if you happen to swing over it. This saying is not only true, but at the same depth where one finds lead, expect far greater depth on gold, of similar in size & shape.

Cheers Kon. T25
Kon61gold
Kon61gold
Management

Number of posts : 4500
Registration date : 2008-10-16

https://golddetecting.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:55 am

By their very electronic nature Pulse Induction metal detectors do not respond well to natural iron and rust mineralisation.
In my mind I can associate steel phase boost with VLF phase shift discrimination but a PI does not and cannot discriminate by phase shift like a VLF TR.
So if steel phase boost is applicable to the Z or SDC then maybe these detectors are not pure PI??
Is somebody going to tell me what steel phase boost is in relation to a PI metal detector without mentioning pulse delay.
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  SteelPat Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:59 am

adrian ss wrote:By their very electronic nature Pulse Induction metal detectors do not respond well to natural iron and rust mineralisation.
    In my mind I can associate steel phase boost with VLF phase shift discrimination but a PI does not and cannot discriminate by phase shift like a VLF TR.
So if steel phase boost is applicable to the Z or SDC then maybe these detectors are not pure PI??
    Is somebody going to tell me what steel phase boost is in relation to a PI metal detector without mentioning pulse delay.

The steelPHASE is an audio enhancer, nothing to do with phase shifting etc.

SteelPat
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2018-04-25

https://www.steelphase.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post  SteelPat Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:00 am

Reg Wilson wrote:Adrian, are you for real that you are unaware of what a Steelphase booster is? If I was that uninformed I would not let on.
LOL Reg

SteelPat
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2018-04-25

https://www.steelphase.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:18 am

SteelPat wrote:
adrian ss wrote:By their very electronic nature Pulse Induction metal detectors do not respond well to natural iron and rust mineralisation.

The steelPHASE is an audio enhancer, nothing to do with phase shifting etc.

Welll bugger! That is a bit boring.
Here I am thinking I was going to learn something new and exciting.
I have used a few signal enhancers in my time and have ended up not using them.
What is different about this Steel phase booster that might make me want to try it?

Thanks mate.
Cheers.
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  rockhunter62 Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:18 am

Hi Adrian,

Maybe you might have heard of the SPo1 Audio Enhancer (SteelPhase Booster), it has been mentioned numerous times on several forums.

Cheers

Doug
rockhunter62
rockhunter62
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 271
Registration date : 2016-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Rockwall Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:46 am

rockhunter62 wrote:Hi Adrian,

Maybe you might have heard of the SPo1 Audio Enhancer (SteelPhase Booster), it has been mentioned numerous times on several forums.

Cheers

Doug
Probably a million times across all forums!!! Sleep
Rockwall
Rockwall
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2017-06-24

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:49 am

Hi Doug.
Now that you mention SPo1, I did notice that in the latest AGG&T but paid little attn to it. I saw Audio Enhancer and turned the page Rolling Eyes
I really am getting old..ish.
Is this thing really all that much better than past enhancers. Can it amplify gold target signals without amplifying ground noise and hot rock noise?

I have since watched a few videos of this gadget in action and have used several enhancers that all got rave reviews. Used them for a while but now they are gathering dust in my junk box.
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Reg Wilson Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:06 am

You could possibly benefit from using an SPo1 Adrian. If you get confused by the instructions you could get a young person to interpret for you.
Reg Wilson
Reg Wilson
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Sharkbait Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:36 am

Many thanks for all your input,everybody cheers
You've shed some light on the subject for me.

As long as it keeps picking up the shiny yella stuff...and the obligatory shotty pellets,i know the machine is doing what it says on the box Very Happy

I just wish it wasn't so bloody warbly on high sens. like 4 or 5 then it would be easier to hear those deep,faint ones V41

Cheers....Dave
Sharkbait
Sharkbait
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 924
Registration date : 2013-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:39 am

Reg Wilson wrote:You could possibly benefit from using an SPo1 Adrian. If you get confused by the instructions you could get a young person to interpret for you.

Very funny Reg, Yer always good for a bit of a Chuckle Very Happy

When I was two I was already wondering what kept the moon and sun in the sky and you weren't even a taddy.Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Now I am wondering what the hell keeps me alive? clown
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  granite2 Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:16 pm

I must admit I am as uninformed as Adrian, I too have never heard of a Steelphase booster. Possibly because I never needed one but then I cannot recall ever hearing of it even over the 40 years I have been detecting. I have used other boosters but only on machines that needed them.
granite2
granite2
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1829
Registration date : 2009-10-12

Back to top Go down

SDC Signal Query Empty SPo1

Post  Reg Wilson Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:52 pm

How do you know you don't need one if you've never used one Jim? It might even help you find your first BIG gold.
Reg Wilson
Reg Wilson
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Kon61gold Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:35 pm

Fellas, lets try to stay on track & keep in mind, that this thread is not about the SteelPhase booster, but the SDC 2300 ignoring rusted steel objects. Smile

Cheers Kon. T25
Kon61gold
Kon61gold
Management

Number of posts : 4500
Registration date : 2008-10-16

https://golddetecting.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down