Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Prospector unearths 2kg nugget at old gold rush town

3 posters

Go down

Prospector unearths 2kg nugget at old gold rush town Empty Prospector unearths 2kg nugget at old gold rush town

Post  Guest Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:10 pm

https://www.9news.com.au/national/gold-nugget-two-kilogram-160k-specimen-at-ballarat-unearthed-by-prospector-news-victoria/2568e03e-c0fc-4486-98f3-15f331f00072?fbclid=IwAR2UjH6-hweyUeVkfxSS88OEAsf_Q753ldPskNfDnP_ItOVdztvJxSNdGxQ

Prospector unearths 2kg nugget at old gold rush town E278a710

Back to top Go down

Prospector unearths 2kg nugget at old gold rush town Empty Re: Prospector unearths 2kg nugget at old gold rush town

Post  Guest Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:23 pm

Congratulations to whomever was the lucky finder Q38

Back to top Go down

Prospector unearths 2kg nugget at old gold rush town Empty Re: Prospector unearths 2kg nugget at old gold rush town

Post  nero_design Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:06 pm

Prospector unearths 2kg nugget at old gold rush town C986df10

The "front" side (assuming it's not the same side photographed twice) looks ever prettier!

'Shaking like a leaf': Man finds 2kg gold nugget worth $130,000

A two-kilogram gold nugget worth about $130,000 has been found on the outskirts of Victorian gold rush town Ballarat. A prospector, who asked to remain anonymous, found the nugget in an old pasture in June. Mark Day of Gold Ballarat said the man, a retiree and customer, had already received offers of $160,000 for the precious haul.

"When he showed me the nugget here in the store he was shaking like a leaf. He didn't know what to do with it. He hadn't slept in three days," Mr Day said on Friday.

"I've been in this business for 25 years and this is the biggest find we have seen by one of our customers – that they've told me about anyway."

"He certainly thinks there's more gold out there. And after this, who can say he's wrong?" Mr Day said.

The nugget has a gold value of about $130,000 but collectors are offering a premium due to its rarity. The find came a month after a young girl stumbled across a gold nugget, estimated to be worth more than $30,000, near Bendigo in May.

The man won't reveal the exact location of the find and is planning to go back in the hope of finding more gold.

Source: https://www.smh.com.au/national/victoria/shaking-like-a-leaf-man-finds-2kg-gold-nugget-worth-130-000-20190726-p52b87.html

Good for him!  With the price of gold at the moment, he's made some great money, beaten the odds and sparked the imagination of prospectors everywhere.  I'll bet the American prospectors are jealous because they rarely unearth nuggets of this size of purity.  The font side looks incredible.  The rear has that curved shape in Jen's shot.  I think it's a beautiful shape.  I'm also betting that in an auction today, it might even sell for over $180K

Does anyone know what machine it was found with?
nero_design
nero_design
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2008-11-18

Back to top Go down

Post  moredeep Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:18 pm

beats my point 2 gmer today,just by a little though Laughing Good on him

cheers moredeep
moredeep
moredeep
Management

Number of posts : 1860
Registration date : 2018-05-23

Back to top Go down

Post  koeh Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:12 pm

This was posted a little while ago,old news,I thought soon as I saw the article that I have seen this nugget before
koeh
koeh
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 328
Registration date : 2011-01-31

Back to top Go down

Post  koeh Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:15 pm

nero_design wrote:Prospector unearths 2kg nugget at old gold rush town C986df10

The "front" side (assuming it's not the same side photographed twice) looks ever prettier!

'Shaking like a leaf': Man finds 2kg gold nugget worth $130,000

A two-kilogram gold nugget worth about $130,000 has been found on the outskirts of Victorian gold rush town Ballarat. A prospector, who asked to remain anonymous, found the nugget in an old pasture in June. Mark Day of Gold Ballarat said the man, a retiree and customer, had already received offers of $160,000 for the precious haul.

"When he showed me the nugget here in the store he was shaking like a leaf. He didn't know what to do with it. He hadn't slept in three days," Mr Day said on Friday.

"I've been in this business for 25 years and this is the biggest find we have seen by one of our customers – that they've told me about anyway."

"He certainly thinks there's more gold out there. And after this, who can say he's wrong?" Mr Day said.

The nugget has a gold value of about $130,000 but collectors are offering a premium due to its rarity. The find came a month after a young girl stumbled across a gold nugget, estimated to be worth more than $30,000, near Bendigo in May.

The man won't reveal the exact location of the find and is planning to go back in the hope of finding more gold.

Source: https://www.smh.com.au/national/victoria/shaking-like-a-leaf-man-finds-2kg-gold-nugget-worth-130-000-20190726-p52b87.html

Good for him!  With the price of gold at the moment, he's made some great money, beaten the odds and sparked the imagination of prospectors everywhere.  I'll bet the American prospectors are jealous because they rarely unearth nuggets of this size of purity.  The font side looks incredible.  The rear has that curved shape in Jen's shot.  I think it's a beautiful shape.  I'm also betting that in an auction today, it might even sell for over $180K

Does anyone know what machine it was found with?

According to the old post a little while ago 4500 12” evo 18” deep
koeh
koeh
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  nero_design Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:41 am

The two news articles I read were both dated Yesterday (July 26). /CORRECTED/

Here's the other link to a story on the same nugget: https://www.9news.com.au/national/gold-nugget-two-kilogram-160k-specimen-at-ballarat-unearthed-by-prospector-news-victoria/2568e03e-c0fc-4486-98f3-15f331f00072?

Are you folks sure you're not thinking of THIS one? (see image) which was found in WA in May (was reported in the media just a couple of months ago)?

https://thewest.com.au/business/mining/wa-gold-hunter-unearths-100000-nugget-near-kalgoorlie-ng-b881204593z

Prospector unearths 2kg nugget at old gold rush town 1558308401435_G4927DMBV.2-1

Or This One which was found in WA late last year?

https://www.9news.com.au/national/wa-prospector-finds-110k-gold-nugget/0e2a650f-12a2-4551-ba72-dd4aa56a06a0

Prospector unearths 2kg nugget at old gold rush town Http%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2F_%2Fmedia%2F2018%2F09%2F21%2F14%2F18%2F180921_gold_nugget_1

Last edited by nero_design on Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
nero_design
nero_design
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  koeh Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:21 am

Nero,you said posted yesterday June 26 don’t you mean July 26,on Facebook there is a video showing the “new 2kg” nugget dated 19th of June, the nugget was named “you wouldn’t believe it”

There is also a post by stoppsy on the same date 19th June showing this 2kg nugget.
koeh
koeh
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  nero_design Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:35 pm

koeh wrote:Nero,you said posted yesterday June 26 don’t you mean July 26,on Facebook there is a video showing the “new 2kg” nugget dated 19th of June, the nugget was named “you wouldn’t believe it”

There is also a post by stoppsy on the same date 19th June showing this 2kg nugget.

I haven't seen Stoppsy's post - though I always like to screencap stories of new, large or just interesting nuggets.

What's interesting here is that the nugget story caught my attention when it showed up on the front page of the Sydney Morning Harald website yesterday. To me, that appears to signify that this in new news, not old news. And with two large nuggets being found in May (2019) and late last year (2018), it's easy to assume that these might be what people were referring to.

*Date on previous post has been corrected to show yesterday's date.
nero_design
nero_design
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down