Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

QLD rules on exploration leases?

3 posters

Go down

QLD rules on exploration leases? Empty QLD rules on exploration leases?

Post  Jimmy 2 Toes Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:52 pm

EDIT: Not sure where to ask this.

I've had a look around around and can't find me the answer (here or on the wider interwebs), but I have a property I have access to (QLD), but research has shown that it's 98% tied up with exploration permit for mineral other than coal. My question is, given permission from land owner, regardless of EPM am I legally allowed to prospect here?

Cheers for any advice.
Jason.

Last edited by Jimmy 2 Toes on Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:32 am; edited 1 time in total

Jimmy 2 Toes
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2018-11-16

Back to top Go down

QLD rules on exploration leases? Empty Re: QLD rules on exploration leases?

Post  boobook Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:28 am

You may be meaning Exploration Permit - Minerals (EPM)?
The answer is twofold, with permission of the leaseholder/owner of the land you may fossick on the land, but there are restrictions as to proximity of any exploration work being carried out.
Due to serious legal implications, the EPM holder may take a dim view of you being anywhere on their EPM and suggest (nicely of course) that you find somewhere else to fossick.
If it were a Mining Lease (ML), you would be taking a serious risk being there regardless of the landholder's permission.
mike

boobook
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 328
Registration date : 2011-09-12

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimmy 2 Toes Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:36 am

Thanks Boobook, I've corrected the mistake.
There is ZERO active exploration and hasn't been for quite some time (possibly since the old timers), but they've had the entire region blanket permitted for well over 10 years.

So I need to get permission from the company that have these permits, or the land owners is enough?

Jason.

Jimmy 2 Toes
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimmy 2 Toes Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:38 am

It's known there is gold on the property, however it's been established that's it's not of a commercially viable quantity.

Jimmy 2 Toes
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  boobook Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:28 am

Jason, a bit of research will help you here.
In Qld. the EPM is based on Graticular Blocks, a block being a fraction of a long./lat. degree. The EPM may be from one to several/many blocks and have a term of life.
However, for each year of exploration the EPM holder has to drop 50% pa until the ground is open or renew. In any case the EPM holder must furnish details of exploration carried out etc. for renewals to be granted.
As I mention, some research could be of great benefit to you.
mike

boobook
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 328
Registration date : 2011-09-12

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimmy 2 Toes Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:37 am

Thanks Mike, I'm doing as much as I can, from what I can see the permits are quite extensive and still cover the vast majority of this and neighbouring properties. They send a couple of Geo's for a short visit every so often, I assume this is to maintain their presence so as to keep the permits alive, they aren't due to be renewed until 2020. Other than this, I don't know how to tell which sections they've had to relinquish (if any at all). I'll keep searching around and see what I can dig up. Perhaps a phone call or 2 might be in order.

Jimmy 2 Toes
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  mbasko Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:38 pm

Hi Jimmy 2 Goes
On an EPM you are still allowed to fossick on the land if you have the landowner’s written permission. You are not allowed within 50m of any exploration activities unless you have the EPM holder’s written consent (unlikely).
It is illegal to fossick on any area of land covered by an EPM where an application for a Mineral Development Licence (MDL) has been lodged, a full MDL or a Mining Lease (ML) has been granted without both the landowner & EPM/MDL/ML holder’s written permission.
If they only have an EPM & aren't doing any active exploration work then you should be ok with just the landowners permission. You may be best checking with Mines on current tenement status https://www.dnrme.qld.gov.au/?contact=mines_lodgement

mbasko
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2017-05-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimmy 2 Toes Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:51 pm

Thanks mbasko. Will get on to looking it all up, I stumbled across the EPMs in the first place and couldn't work out how to get back to them. Cheers for the link. I'm almost certain there are no MDLs being applied for and definitely none approved.
Thanks again.

Jason

Jimmy 2 Toes
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down