Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

QED vs GPZ14

+3
dasenator777
AraratGold
Digginerup
7 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

QED vs GPZ14 - Page 2 Empty Re: QED vs GPZ14

Post  Kon61gold Mon May 14, 2018 11:09 pm

Dasenator, I'd prefer you stating the type/size coil that was used last time in, than ("that dog of a thing that was used last time") Why so negative with your comments?  Do me a favour, If you can't state it as it should be stated, then don't state it at all.

Kon
Kon61gold
Kon61gold
Management

Number of posts : 4505
Registration date : 2008-10-16

https://golddetecting.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 15, 2018 9:20 am

Rick, I know you love your Zed.

But what hapenned with you keeping your word with Howard and those tests and videos with him?

Back to top Go down

Post  AraratGold Tue May 15, 2018 10:32 am

UNCLE BOB wrote:Rick, I know you love your Zed.

But what hapenned with you keeping your word with Howard and those tests and videos with him?

Uncle Bob,

Very simple really.
Despite me taking down the video " in fairness to Howard ", there was not a concialatory word from him behind the closed walls of Dougs forum.
In fact, he allowed all and sundry to continue to slag me off without so much as a " hold up fellas " his testing may actually be OK ! Which it now clearly was.
Here are a just a few examples from Dougs forum :

" its great he has removed those stupid recent videos, make sure you give em S??? bugs"

" hey dare not say anything good on other forumms about the qed , you get attacked from every angle, but dick, i meen rick posts bad video, and hes the local forum hero, i see why all info on qed is locked up here, very very wise move, in my opinion. thats not suprising re rick either look at his face in avatar, a face a mother smacked very regulary"

" Yes,  I found that out about him being a Minelab dealer.
He also bragged how  "he clocked thousands of hours on the gpx 4500. How do you do that when you have a job.
Maybe,  he was jumping fences and detected at night.? This guy is full of himself "

" The purpose of his "comparison" was in my view simply to promote the SAD7000 and the 19" dog coil!!!! "

Also, after I put up the first video, Howard sent a series of blunt texts implying that Jonathan Porter had agendas re his testing of the QED, and that I was " finally revealing my true intentions " !

Do you really think after all that I would even give Howard the time of day ????????  Shocked

Why the hell would I buy a QED to take to WA as my main lightweight prospecting tool if I had an agenda ?????? The simple fact is, they don't like the fact that the QED has been shown to struggle on some types of nuggets with odd orientation in the ground !
As I have constantly stated it is a lightweight and cheap detector with good performance for the money, but as a single channel design, it is always going to struggle on some targets.

In response to " He also bragged how  "he clocked thousands of hours on the gpx 4500. How do you do that when you have a job " pretty simple really. My job is part time and I work when I want to, which allows me to clock up thousands of hours in the field, including 2 x 2 month trips to WA, and another 3.5 months in 2 weeks time.

BTW Doug and Howard, when was the last time you went prospecting with a QED ? Oh, thats right, never.  Rolling Eyes Sitting targets on a piece of manufactured ground in Howard's backyard and air testing them does not constitute testing !

As a footnote : Doug has added this to his slagging of me : " Also i am surprised that he could only get down to THS-B of from memory 48 "

Pretty simple really :
Have a listen to what happened when I turned it down to 44, the high pitch squeal came in. I then upped the bias to 53 which is where the low pitch hum was starting to get loud. Halving between the high and low pitch gives 48, which is where I had it very quietly humming along.

That is the EXACT procedure for setting the bias, per the manual and per Stinky Petes startup video !

Rick

Last edited by AraratGold on Tue May 22, 2018 11:27 am; edited 1 time in total
AraratGold
AraratGold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 426
Registration date : 2009-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 15, 2018 11:32 am

Ok Rick
I see where you're coming from.
It's sad when you can't talk to one another, face to face.

Back to top Go down

Post  AraratGold Tue May 15, 2018 11:56 am

UNCLE BOB wrote:Ok Rick
I see where you're coming from.
It's sad when you can't talk to one another, face to face.

Bob,

I would have been prepared to go out with Howard had I not received that barrage of abuse from behind the walls of the " cowards castle ".  Rolling Eyes

They simply will not accept any criticism of the QED, despite the vast majority of what I pointed out being positive !  Rolling Eyes

Rick
AraratGold
AraratGold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 426
Registration date : 2009-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Kon61gold Tue May 15, 2018 7:59 pm

You know fellas, the saddest part of all this, is not so much the controversy/flak the QED has copped since its release, but members involved with the use of the QED not being able to discuss, whatever good or bad issues they might have come across, during the testing/prospecting side of the QED, in an open honest, logical manner, without any derogatory abusive comments thrown in.
I'v never met the designer/inventor of the QED nor have I had the chance to use one, but I'v never come across an inventor of anything, who is not open to honest criticism, by people who have bought/used his invention & not go out of his way towards help rectify, what ever he can, to help solve any issue/problems concerning their design. If (Howard), went out of his way towards rectifying or introducing a far better auto ground balance system for his detector invention, tells me he is paying attention, he is listening to his buyer/user operators, but certainly don't need any unnecessary abusive comments thrown in. just like "Rome" wasn't built in a day, so to, all new inventions/designs of any newly manufactured good, take's time to have the odd remaining flaw or so, rectified/improved. Does not not Minelab or any other major detector manufacturer constantly make an effort to do the same? (make & introduce a new model of detector first (as best they can) then work on ironing out, any further issues encountered over time, out on the field?)
By the way & once again, I want to make it clear,  that this forum is not strictly dedicated to Minelab only, but to all or any new make/brand of detector/coil, that actually works on/over Australian mineralized soil conditions, as well as salty flats.

Cheers Kon.  T25
Kon61gold
Kon61gold
Management

Number of posts : 4505
Registration date : 2008-10-16

https://golddetecting.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Tue May 15, 2018 9:12 pm

AraratGold wrote:Gidday All,

Since the weather has improved dramatically, I flew out to the State Forest where I did my QED testing last week, and got a couple of hours of new testing done.

I used an 11 inch Commander this time, and it validated my testing from last week. As a result, I have put that video back up, because the settings were not botched as a few unkind individuals have suggested. Nor is there anything wrong with the coil !

This lot of testing showed what I had suspected from last week, that the type of nuggets and also how they are situated in the ground has a big bearing on how the QED gets them !

The testing showed that the GPX with the 17x11 N/F Advantage was a bit better to the QED on all the targets, especially the ones that were standing on end, and the GPZ19 creamed them both !

Gain on the GPX4500 was at 10 out of 15, so not nearly flat out like the QED gain was ( 9 out of 10 ).

Anyway, the new video is pretty self explanatory, so please enjoy ! Filmed in HD.

Cheers,
Rick

Every metal detector I have ever used (approx 60) has produced a weaker signal to a flat-ish target orientated in the ground vertical to the coil than if that target was flat on to the coil,...The reason is fairly simple in that the Eddy currents that are set up in the target by the tectas tx field flow in circular or Eddy manner  very close to the surface of the target metal and if the target is vertical to the coil then these currents are only circulating in a very small area of the target closest to the coil and so will not create a strong response from the tecta. So I do not see much point in making that into a negative aspect of the QED when it applies to all metal detectors. The Hand Of faith is a classic example of this, This multi kg nugg was resting vertical in the ground only about a foot down but did not present a screaming signal in the metal detector (VLF) that found it. But if the nugg had been flat on to the coil it would have produced a screamer. of a signal.....Yeah, Yeah I know the Z would have screamed over the HOF.

Last edited by adrian ss on Wed May 16, 2018 8:16 am; edited 1 time in total
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 4351
Registration date : 2015-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Olddognewtricks Wed May 16, 2018 2:56 am

Closely looking at purchasing one as looks good bang for buck amongst others available in same price range but struggling with the angst that appears to surround it though. Have to agree with Kon in that its sad one has to wade thru pages of muck raking whenever trying to gain information on the unit. There are a few that heavily endorse the machine that I'm not sure I'd really want if I was the maker, as for me the manner in which they do it I find very off putting to say the least. I don't really want to know who has the biggest what ever Laughing just does it work and find gold. Thanks again for the video Mr Ararat and would love to see it against an equinox or similar price unit

Last edited by Olddognewtricks on Wed May 16, 2018 3:12 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : To correct)

Olddognewtricks
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2016-11-23

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2