Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How Not To Detect A Beach

3 posters

Go down

How Not To Detect A Beach Empty How Not To Detect A Beach

Post  adrian ss Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:30 pm

Here is a classic example of how not to metal detect a beach and a fantastic method of how to not find much.
https://www.metaldetector.com/makro-multi-kruzer-waterproof-metal-detector
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 4365
Registration date : 2015-07-03

Back to top Go down

How Not To Detect A Beach Empty Re: How Not To Detect A Beach

Post  Kon61gold Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:17 pm

Well, they do state "very fast auto ground tracking" which represents a whole new ball game towards swing speed over detectable targets, Adrian. I do believe the Minelab "Eqinox" to have a similar target, ground tune set up. Funny thing is, that's how I first started off, using a Minelab FT 16000, until one bloke saw what I was doing & told me to pull the reigns back a little. Shocked Laughing
Overall though, I cant say I dis-agree with you. The rule of low, slow & coil level with the ground, will always be more beneficial, towards the recovery of a majority size/type targets (especially when encountering faint ground target signals at depth), than a fast, un-even coil ground swing.
Low & slow to me, means no less than say a 2 second coil ground sweep, covering 180 degrees of ground, from left to right, over areas that consist of flat, even, wide open ground space.

Cheers Kon.  T25

Last edited by Kon61gold on Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kon61gold
Kon61gold
Management

Number of posts : 4514
Registration date : 2008-10-16

https://golddetecting.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:25 pm

His main mistake was that he was detecting less than 50% of the ground that he was walking over. Each sweep was at least 4 coil diameters from the previous sweep.Maybe that method would work if you were patch finding in the gold fields, but at the beach where people have been all over the sand, targets can be anywhere and  everywhere. You should not miss a square inch.

He was bouncing all over the beach which was in fact exactly how I first started tecting beaches and wondered why I was not finding much at all.
When I got a lot more methodical, overlapping every sweep and systematically searching the beach in narrow strips that my recovery rate improved out of sight.
Some people use those wide spaced sweeps in an attempt to locate the target line which often exists on well populated beaches. Tide comes in and goes out and deposits various size and density targets along particular lines along a beach. Once you have found that line you can start a systematic scan of the area without bothering about doing the whole beach. You will of course miss all of the stuff lost in the dry sand where sun bakers toast themselves.

Searching in the water is another story but suffice to say that if you want to find the really good jewellery then get out into the water below low tide line and if you have scuba gear then go out past the first biggish breakers where the board riders sit waiting for a wave. There are a lot of rings, chains n watches out there.
and keep an eye open for sharks pale Although the one that gets you is the one you don't see. affraid

Last edited by adrian ss on Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Kon61gold Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:33 pm

Absolutely agree with you on that one Adrian. I was only referring to swing speed. Regardless of what size/type coil one swings, walking to fast whilst swinging a coil, gaurantees one of losing more than 50% of ground coverage, as well as target finds. I also meant to say the Minelab Equinox, not Gold Monster.

Cheers Kon. T25
Kon61gold
Kon61gold
Management

Number of posts : 4514
Registration date : 2008-10-16

https://golddetecting.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:29 am

Kon61gold wrote:Well, they do state "very fast auto ground tracking" which represents a whole new ball game towards swing speed over detectable targets, Adrian. I do believe the Minelab "Eqinox" to have a similar target, ground tune set up. Funny thing is, that's how I first started off, using a Minelab FT 16000, until one bloke saw what I was doing & told me to pull the reigns back a little. Shocked Laughing
Overall though, I cant say I dis-agree with you. The rule of low, slow & coil level with the ground, will always be more beneficial, towards the recovery of a majority size/type targets (especially when encountering faint ground target signals at depth), than a fast, un-even coil ground swing.
Low & slow to me, means no less than say a 2 second coil ground sweep, covering 180 degrees of ground, from left to right, over areas that consist of flat, even, wide open ground space.

Cheers Kon.  T25

One thing that seems to occur with fast track fast recovery discriminators is that automatically you up the scan speed which is fine but often as the scan speed increases the discrimination accuracy drops off a bit. So it is necessary to do a few target tests where you are detecting in order to establish the best sweep speed for the mineralisation of the area.
Also with some of the older VLF discriminators that require a slowish sweep can often go the opposite way and give a more accurate TID on ferrous stuff if you crank the speed up a bit when trying to ID the target.

Coin and relic tecatas can be quirky gadgets and that is one reason why an operator should really really get to know his/her machine. It is amazing how successful an operator of an fairly ordinary machine can be by simply by getting to understand the language of his machine. Get a feel for it and you will always be successful and sometimes more so than a person with an all bells and whistles machine... Sort of like my old GS15000. Once I turn that tecta on it feels like it is connected into my brain. Laughing
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  ivanll Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:37 pm

The link seem to take me to a Makro Multi Kruzer web site, can't see any video on beach detecting ..... not to worry I have one myself and know how it works on a beach dry or wet.
I'm quite pleased with its performance most likely because I run in GEN mode which is the all metal/prospecting mode, likely unusual for wet beach detecting but it does some real nifty things to the sounds of hair pins and bottle caps, if the sensitivity is up near max in the 90'ties then depth is nothing to complain about.

ivanll

ivanll
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 364
Registration date : 2009-05-23

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:27 am

Hi Ivanll,
I have read a lot of good things about the Multi Kruzer as a beach machine. but although I never thought I would say it; I think I have enough metal detectors now and I doubt that I will be getting any more.
Anyhoo I will be having a couple of Knee replacements over the next couple of years with one coming up very soon, so I guess I will be out of action for a while.
Probably amuse myself by doing lots of re bench testing . Rolling Eyes
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  ivanll Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:38 am

Water detecting is a good way to get some weight of your feet, but take it slowly getting out of the water you can usually feel the force of gravity when exiting.

Got a new Quest Pro that will be included at the next low tide beach hunting, could not find any info on this detector by users or dealers in Oz so I got one for my own testing/enjoyment ....... you only live once. Exclamation

Best wishes for use of new knees.

ivanll

ivanll
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 364
Registration date : 2009-05-23

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:55 pm

Thanks Ivanll.
I should know in about 10 days when the knee op will be. I am hoping for a partial replacement but imaging suggests that it will b a full replacement. The surgeon has not made a decision yet.
The Quest Pro seems like reasonable little tecta from the few Pommy vids that I had a look at.
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down