Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New to Prospecting

3 posters

Go down

New to Prospecting Empty New to Prospecting

Post  Jeff72 Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:35 pm

Hello and happy new year to you all, the missus and i are heading out for a couple of days (short notice i know ) to Dunolly and surounding area's tommorow. We purchased a used GPX 4500 in excellent condition, only thing was it came with one coil a Commander DD. We have been out a few times now on day trips around Beaufort with no luck finding all sorts of junk including bullets and nails and other scrap metal. We met a wonderful guy up there from Ballarat and he was very helpful showing us how to use the machine and a few setting adjustments. He also advised a mono coil would be better suited for prospecting for the smaller nuggets we were hoping to find, after reading advice on this forum and also bills advice we are looking at picking up a nugget finder Evo 15" tommorow from coiltek in Maryborough and heading to the Dunolly area. For one thing i have no idea where to start looking other than from the geovic website maps , and also if id need to change any settings from a DD to a Mono? Any tips on prospecting with a GPX4500 or any tips in general would be great !
Any help would be greatly appreciated even for future trips.

Thanks in advance,Jeff Smile

P.S we live in the western suburbs of melbourne but don't mind the drive up to the gold fields.

Jeff72
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2017-12-06

Back to top Go down

New to Prospecting Empty Re: New to Prospecting

Post  Guest Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:47 pm

G'day Jeff

When your at Coiltek in Maryborough getting the 15" EVO, see if they will lend you the 11" Minelab Commander for a whirl, also they have the John Tully map books for all the various areas in the triangle, just get a couple of the ones for the areas that your interested in, ie: Dunolly Maryborough etc.

Good luck out there.

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeff72 Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:03 pm

Thanks Dave !
I will have a word with them tommorow, thanks for the advice mate !

Jeff72
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

New to Prospecting Empty NEW TO PROSPECTING

Post  Eureka Dreams Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:08 pm

Hi Jeff

Was pleased to be of help Smile This forum is a great resource for the novice and expert alike as we never stop learning...I like seeing newcomers to this hobby who have invested in the best equipment and are eager to find gold Very Happy My advice is ...Know how to get the best out of your detector...Use the best technique you can,low and slow...Keep your detector stable with a smooth threshold...Listen carefully for the quiet target signal responses,and dig everything that you feel is a metal target.

Get to know more about geology,especially about where gold is likely to be,and where it has travelled from..Old timer diggings most of the time alert you to a good possibility of finding gold there and nearby..  Be patient.. and keep positive and be safe.

PS...Hope we hear about your first gold find soon Jeff cheers

ATB
Cheers Bill

Eureka Dreams
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2016-07-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeff72 Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:28 pm

Hi Bill ! what a small world hey?
Thanks so much for the advice and impromptu lesson you gave me and Maria that day , really appreciate it ! We took your advice and purchased a nugget finder Evo 15", boy what a difference to the DD !!  We went out with a friend who lives up Maryborough way and went out to Dunolly for a couple days, i am pleased to report we did find some gold ! 4 small nuggets all together, they weighed all up 2.2 grams ! if i could figure out how to post the picture i would put it up but alas haven't figured out how to load a pic yet !

hope your well and hope to catch up with you again out in the field someday !

cheers
Jeff

Jeff72
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:34 am

Jeff,
This is just one link on how to upload photos.
https://golddetecting.forumotion.net/t14215-how-to-upload-the-picture-s-on-our-forum-in-pictures?highlight=how+to+upload+photos

Since Photobucket demanded exorbitant fees, this is a great free site;

http://postimage.org/

Good luck with the gold, the photos can come later. Very Happy

Nightjar
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2689
Registration date : 2008-10-25

https://l.instagram.com/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fusr%2Fka

Back to top Go down

New to Prospecting Empty NEW TO PROSPECTING

Post  Eureka Dreams Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:43 am

Hi Jeff,
That`s great news that you have found your first gold with your 4500 cheers A pretty good start too with 4 nuggets for 2.2grams Smile you must be pretty thrilled now you know you can do it....Remember good technique and persistence pays Very Happy ATB and may see you out there sometime.

Cheers Bill

PS.Thanks to Nightjar he has provided some information on uploading your gold pics to Members Finds.

Eureka Dreams
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2016-07-13

Back to top Go down