Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All round coil for workings?

5 posters

Go down

All round coil for workings? Empty All round coil for workings?

Post  goldtimer Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:36 pm

HI all, I'm thinking of buying a new coil. Smething for poking around old workings, that's not too big and cumbersome. Preferably something in the "in-between compromise size", if you know what I mean.. And mono.
I've been tossing up between the 11" commander mono, 12" NFA mono, or an elliptical mono of similar size and depth capabilities. I'm leaning towards an elliptical at present. Having not used any before, does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should buy?
At present I have a 8" commander mono, 11" stock DD, and an 18" NFA mono (And GPX 4000). In the area I detect in, ground noise is no issue, but EMI from powerlines can be a pesk occasionally.
Any suggestions would be very much appreciated
Thanks cheers
GT

goldtimer
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2010-02-20

Back to top Go down

All round coil for workings? Empty Re: All round coil for workings?

Post  kon61 Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:59 pm

G'day Goldtimer.

Let me get this straight.Ground noise(no issue).Occasional EMI from power lines.Preference to an elliptical mono coil,instead of round.Similar depth to the 11"Commander or 12"Nugget Finder.Using the GPX4000. All this equates to the current Nugget Finder 17x11,and thats only because its slightly quieter than the 18x12 Gold Stalker,when it comes to EMI.

Cheers kon61.
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  goldtimer Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:02 am

kon61, that's exactly the type of answer I was after
Thank-you very much for your help cheers
Cheers
GT

goldtimer
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  mulgadansa Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:31 pm

Gday GT/Kon
I run a 4500 with the 14x9 NF Advantage elipt mono. Fantastic combo. Bigger coils are all well and good for depth but this particular combo is great as far as quietness/depth and sensitivity goes. Bigger coils = more noise imho.
Try and borrow/hire one.
cheers
Brett
mulgadansa
mulgadansa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 525
Registration date : 2008-10-23

Back to top Go down

Post  TIBOO DAVE Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:33 pm

If you are an old timer then the 17 x11 is to big for poking around old workings, use the 14 x 9 nf. or 12 x 7 nf it will suit your purpose better but stay a min of 50m of power lines and 10m from under ground cables.
Alternative- stick to your standard 11dd.

Ps the 14 x 9 will go deeper and cover more ground then the 11dd or 12 x 7 and is still a very light coil.
Good luck!

TIBOO DAVE
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2010-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post  goldtimer Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:42 am

Thanks for the suggestions TIBOO DAVE and mulgadansa. From what I've heard, the 17x11 is a great coil, but the workings that I'm detecting in would be hard to get around with it on. The 11" DD is the best size that I've got at the moment for a compromise between ground coverage, and sensitivity. (And it's not all that good on the small bits at depth) The 8" mono is good on the small stuff but doesn't cover enough area. The 14x9 sounds as though it can do both OK, get deep gold and get small gold. I'll probably go with that. Thanks for your suggestions guys Very Happy
CHeers
GT

goldtimer
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  llanbric Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:46 pm

11" mono, depth and ground coverage?

llanbric
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 414
Registration date : 2008-11-17

Back to top Go down