Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Camping power system.

+6
Scrubhen
Birdman
GoldstalkerGPX
Nightjar
Paulc
bencld
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Camping power system. - Page 2 Empty Re: Camping power system.

Post  Narrawa Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:27 pm

Just bumping this thread.
Having a look at all the different ideas, to which i employ many myself... one has to wounder, batteries sometimes multiple installations, inverters, panels, regulators, wiring, plugs the list go's on and the $$ add up.

Would running a small generator for just a few hrs a night be a cost saving at the end of the day.?
About the only thing needed for those with a good sized AGM battery would be a 3 stage 240v charger and a small 150/300W inverter.

Weight up say 1/2 ltr of juice per night over a few yrs, then weight up the cost of all the other stuff thats been listed in a good setup and still having to employ the use of a geny when the weather go's bad.
Makes you wounder.?

That said...i still like having all these little toys and bits and pieces you think you cant live without. Laughing
Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1885
Registration date : 2008-10-22

http://australiangoldfields.freeforums.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:16 pm

Narrawa wrote:I use one to power another DC battery charger when at home, the same charger (Swallow Advance) is used for out in the field stuff strait off 12v.
Having a cycle mode to rejuvenate cordless drill batteries AA, AAAA, NiMH / NiCad / SLA / Li-Ion and such, its a top bit of gear.
The (New model) has its on 240v supply built in.
Both are able to charge batteries at much higher voltage levels like 14v 18v drill and laptop batteries.

Gotta agree with Narrawa. I have had a Swallow for about 3/4 years now and it is brilliant for its' size. I used it mainly for electric R/C plane and helicopter batteries but it gets used for cameras and everything else, as it can do Li Ion, PB, Ni cad etc etc and set your own charge rate. You just have to make up your own leads to suit and you need a power supply to run it. eg 12 volt battery or transformer.

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:55 am

need a power supply to run it. eg 12 volt battery or transformer.
I use an old PC power supply to power it up at home...just tap into the 12v leads and away you go.
Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1885
Registration date : 2008-10-22

http://australiangoldfields.freeforums.org/

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2