Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Got Myself A Zed. Blooded It In The Weekend

+3
G.B.
determined1
kon61
7 posters

Go down

Got Myself A Zed. Blooded It In The Weekend Empty Got Myself A Zed. Blooded It In The Weekend

Post  kiwijw Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:10 pm

Hi Guys, I made the plunge & got myself Minelabs latest flag ship. The mighty Zed 7000. Mrs JW was up the north island visiting family & had a wedding to video in Camebridge. The weekend before I made the trip up the West Coast to view & then purchase my latest acquisition to my detecting arsenal. With Mrs JW gone for the weekend I made the trip to my detecting location straight from work on friday.
Two & a half hours later I was rigging up the mighty Zed. Due to our mild ground I was in High Yield/Normal. Gain on 13. Could have been higher. Soil smoothing off. The chap I got it off had soil smoothing in low but I turned it off. Other wise rest I am guessing was pretty much Pre set. Only trouble is it was blowing a gale. Put the speaker on 20. No bloody good. Thank god I threw in some head phones. Even then I still had to have the volume on 20. The wind was insane. It was difficult trying to keep still without getting buffeted around by the wind. Ok....we were off. Did the auto tune....ground balanced, but not over the ferrite ring Rolling Eyes  Hence detector was running a bit ratty. Bit like the 2300....but I could coupe with that.
The wind made it bloody difficult to hear & focus on any slight blemish in the threshold. I had targeted an area where I did well with the 4500 & NF 14 x 9. I had in fact got 2 pieces the weekend before going up the West Coast with the modded 45 & 11" Elite coil. There was no wind then. Very Happy
There is very little to no rubbish due to the many times I have combed over this area.  T06  I hadnt bagged on the zed loving those little round bloody lead balls. SHOTGUN PELLETS V41  Oh No... You just have to dig them dont you. So after more than my share of these critters I decided that if the signal had moved after a couple of ground scrapes I would move on. One dig I scraped & scraped & the signal just kept on coming through but getting more pronounced with each scrape. I was in to the schist bed rock & thought.....oh boy....this could be gold.

Down about 8 inches

Got Myself A Zed. Blooded It In The Weekend 20161125_193753_zpspuaptvgs

Gold it was. Ye Ha

Got Myself A Zed. Blooded It In The Weekend 20161125_193829_zpsku8z3wnm

Got Myself A Zed. Blooded It In The Weekend 20161125_193829-1_zpshf9tccfd

10 minutes later & 4 feet away the same scenario. Into that schist bed rock & signal still there.

Got Myself A Zed. Blooded It In The Weekend 20161125_194703_zps73hoqgi2

And this is why

Got Myself A Zed. Blooded It In The Weekend 20161125_194714_zpse942fyfg

Got Myself A Zed. Blooded It In The Weekend 20161125_194714-1_zpsjcnn4ogk

That was it for friday night. The wind blew me off the hill side but I was happy with what I got knowing I had given that slope heaps over the years. I would like to go back over it with the Zed when there is no wind.

Saturday dawned with the wind still howling. BUGGER. Went to another spot that was a bit more sheltered from the wind & another area where I had got over an ounce with the 4500/NF 14 x 9. Boy it was hard going with those bloody shot gun pellets. They were driving me nuts. Then I got a signal that stayed in the ground after quite a few scrapes.

Got Myself A Zed. Blooded It In The Weekend 20161126_104014_zpsrtvyxvnh

You beauty. A little speci.

Got Myself A Zed. Blooded It In The Weekend 20161126_104045-2_zpsflgwork7

But that was it from this area. Had a late lunch & coffee break & headed for my mushroom gully.....& yes ....there were more mushrooms.

Got Myself A Zed. Blooded It In The Weekend 20161126_192340_zpsontqevnr

Got a good signal....all be it a bit warbly but it improved with a bit of depth.

Got Myself A Zed. Blooded It In The Weekend 20161126_152050_zpsh9odur15

Down in to that schist again. You beauty. Signal still there.

Got Myself A Zed. Blooded It In The Weekend 20161126_152157_zpsrie2qnpo

2.38 grams. That is my biggest for a while Q16

Got Myself A Zed. Blooded It In The Weekend 20161126_152248_zpsuwmcarnu

OOOh that looks better lol!

Got Myself A Zed. Blooded It In The Weekend 20161126_152248-1_zpsby1xmgc4

That was it for Saturday. Just the two.

Bit of rain during the night but the wind had dropped. Sunday woke to snow on the tops. affraid

Got Myself A Zed. Blooded It In The Weekend 20161127_091604-1_zpskikgyyv4

I went over a few areas & wasnt getting any thing but shot gun pellets, a live shot gun shell & half an old shearing clipper hand piece right in amongst some old timer digging piles. WTF...

Got Myself A Zed. Blooded It In The Weekend 20161127_154956_zpswflsua3u

I went back to the area I was on friday evening. Got the most horrible, ugly, warbly, echoey, hollow sounding signal. Had wire or nail written all over it. Signal never improved, even whan it was out of the hole. So as I waved my hand over the coil to locate the target I just threw the hand fulls of dirt back in the hole. Mushroom top right.

Got Myself A Zed. Blooded It In The Weekend 20161127_115500_zpsithbm3tp

Got the target in my hand. T08  Bloody gold

Ugly little speci

Got Myself A Zed. Blooded It In The Weekend 20161127_115525_zpsmyhpwulh

Well that was it. Battery went flat. So I headed home.

All up 5 bits for 3.88 grams. The Zed has been blooded first time out. Pretty happy with that.

Got Myself A Zed. Blooded It In The Weekend 20161128_185950_zpsddjn3jsg

This was work back in Queenstown monday morning

Snow on the Remakables

Got Myself A Zed. Blooded It In The Weekend 20161128_073016-1_zpsovabedd6

Snow up behind QT

Got Myself A Zed. Blooded It In The Weekend 20161128_073052-1_zpsvdqhe6mh

Cheers.

Good luck out there

JW  V08
kiwijw
kiwijw
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1886
Registration date : 2010-09-02

Back to top Go down

Got Myself A Zed. Blooded It In The Weekend Empty Re: Got Myself A Zed. Blooded It In The Weekend

Post  kon61 Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:41 pm

Top going there JW. Top show & tell. Well done. Learn the ins and out of your new GPZ & I guarantee ya, you're in for some nice surprises. cheers

Cheers Kon. Q11
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Got Myself A Zed. Blooded It In The Weekend Empty Re: Got Myself A Zed. Blooded It In The Weekend

Post  kiwijw Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:00 pm

Hi there kon 61, Thank you mate. Yep....looking forward to getting some time under my belt with the Zed. I love the no leads. T06 Took a bit of getting used to actually. I wont be getting rid of the 4500 though as there are places I just cant swing that 14" coil. Cheers.

Good luck out there

JW V08
kiwijw
kiwijw
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:14 pm

Very nice nuggies to christen the Zed on. T06 Congrats to you and I love those wobbly ones I've dug quite a few of those now with the Zed. Thanks for sharing your story/pics and hope this is just the beginning of many more for you. T18

Cheers.

Mike.

Back to top Go down

Post  determined1 Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:23 pm

Now that is a very nice way to start proceedings with the new detector Kiwijw. Q15

To be honest I was not aware that the Z was as deadly as that on shotgun pellets. I just assumed that was the domain of the SDC.

May have been tough conditions, but clearly doing the job and I am sure you are well pleased. The wind chill must have been savage given the snow the next day. Headphones a good option when weather is cold I reckon.

Happy hunting and Q32  for sharing.

Bernie
Determind1

determined1
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 375
Registration date : 2013-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:34 pm

G'day JW

Now you know what we mean when we say the Zed worked its magic, you won't be disappointed with it, especially if you can run it in "Normal". I hate the wind, it really drive one mad trying to detect getting blown around all over the place.

If you get the chance, when the wind is gone, try the B&Z booster with dual speakers, just plug the booster into the WM12 module, it's way better than just the speaker from the WM12 itself, if it's real windy you just have to go with the headphones plugged into the WM12

I think your really going to like this machine with a bit of practice.

And once again great pictures and commentary, good luck out there.

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:49 pm

Nice.
First trip and great nuggets.
Good to have a confidence in machine. Noone will stop you now.

Well done, top effort and great photos.

GoldEN

Back to top Go down

Post  G.B. Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:07 pm

Well done. You won't look back just might find youself digging deeper
G.B.
G.B.
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1268
Registration date : 2012-01-31

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:14 pm

Congratulations on buying the GPZ7000

I do believe after .... you have used it for a while, that you may not use your other detectors much.
Then again you may prove me wrong Very Happy

Love the scenery, the story..
It had a bit of comic relief, which we all needed (  the zed loving those little round bloody lead balls.) Laughing
Yep.. you do have to dig them.
It's hard to imagine that its snowing over there, as its getting mighty warm over here V51
I don't think there's a happy medium.

Thankyou

Back to top Go down

Post  slimpickens Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:41 pm

Congrats on getting the Zed JW.  You do realize that every spot you have ever detected, is ready to be plucked again. Every one of them! Start cleaning them up.  Harry.

PS. Love the warbly ones. Funny that with the 4500, any warbly signal was usually a nail, but with the Zed it warbles on 3 things, 22 bullets, nails, and nuggets with pointy bits on them. If it's warbly and and not too loud, 99% of the time, it's a nugget.
slimpickens
slimpickens
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 3675
Registration date : 2010-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post  Axtyr Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:42 pm

Good on you J.W.

It's always good to get that first nugget off the mark with a new detector.

Regards Axtyr.

Axtyr
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 846
Registration date : 2014-01-20

Back to top Go down

Got Myself A Zed. Blooded It In The Weekend Empty got myself a Zed

Post  chrisso79 Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:31 pm

Hey JW;
A little secret just for you because i enjoy reading your descriptive and pictorial posts
Shotgun pellets give away their identity fairly easily
Listen carefully to your future signals which when dug prove to be pellets..
They give a light but distinctive Double Blip
After a while you will know them and leave them in the ground...

chrisso79
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2014-05-22

Back to top Go down

Post  kiwijw Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:44 pm

Hi there Chrisso79. Thank you for that secret. Shhhh....don't tell any one else...lets just keep it to oursleves lol!  I will listen real hard next time & try to sort that. Be bloody good if I could. Isnt that double blip caused by a target being shallow in the ground & close to the coil & getting read easily by the two DD centre windings as the target passes past both of those windings. Hence causing that double blip. I had noticed that double blip many times & will now pay extra attention to see if the resultant target is in fact a pellet. Thanks for that.  T01
Thanks too for the kind words about enjoying my posts. Glad you appreciate them. T06

Good luck out there

JW    V08
kiwijw
kiwijw
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Got Myself A Zed. Blooded It In The Weekend Empty -got-myself-a-zed-blooded-it-in-the-weekend

Post  Guest Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:49 pm

Hi JW, good onya mate Very Happy great start to your new machine, should give you great confidence to unearth more deeper and hopefully heavier as your learning of the machine increases.

Back to top Go down

Post  kiwijw Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:51 pm

bloodgold2 wrote: Hi JW, good onya mate Very Happy  great start to your new machine, should give you great confidence to unearth more deeper and hopefully heavier as your learning of the machine increases.

Hi Dave. Thanks mate. Cant wait for any bigger ones to come along. I am listening real hard & walking bloody miles. lol!
Hows that bloody Goldhound, Dale? Hope he isnt getting too reckless out there. The crazy bugger. Hows Tremain too? You getting your share with that 14" Elite. Cheers.

Good luck out there

JW   V08
kiwijw
kiwijw
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down