Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GPZ 19" Coil

+26
Akubra
AUoptimist
kevlorraine2
kon61
slimpickens
alchemist
GOLDEN CRACK
Tributer
GypsyGoldAu
Harb
vasilis
goldie
Reef Rover
Jack outwest
Cal
Alan WA
GemQ
adrian ss
ttrash
mickb
Redfin
titiwhaka
johnno481
geof_junk
Jay Gold
kiwijw
30 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

GPZ 19" Coil - Page 2 Empty Re: GPZ 19" Coil

Post  Guest Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:44 pm

adrian ss wrote:It is only good for 20g  and up. Am I reading that chart correctly??

G'day Adrian,

The graph starts off at a 1.9grm nug, so I would be guessing that would be the smallest they're going on.   Of coarse that depends on who's operating the machine. lol! lol!

Cheers.

Mike.

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:00 pm

Yeah. I did not read the chart right.
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 4328
Registration date : 2015-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:16 pm

Nenad Lonic wrote:“ I just couldn’t believe how smooth it was running for such a big coil!"

“When using Normal Ground Type (in milder soils) I’ve actually been able to run a higher Sensitivity setting. I just couldn’t believe how smooth it was running for such a big coil, and I blooded the coil with its first piece after a short time, a very small flat piece of about 0.1g which proved that the big coil hasn’t given up much sensitivity."

Nenad Lonic - Phase Technical Metal Detection & Technical Services, Australia

http://www.minelab.com/anz/accessories-1/gpz-19-1

So Nenad says he found a 0.1g with the 19" coil, I know the 14" will find this size with no trouble, but I would have thought it's the bigger ones that the new coil would be more suited to?

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  GemQ Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:55 pm

Really looking forward to seeing the results of the 19"on the Zed. While there are a few huffing and puffing about the price, places like Coiltek will most likely have the nice white Xmas present flying out the door in the next few months.

Haven't met a Zed owner without a wry smile and wink - so while the GT is still moist get into it. V06  V11
GemQ
GemQ
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 576
Registration date : 2012-12-24

https://www.youtube.com/user/GemQ1?feature=mhum

Back to top Go down

Post  Alan WA Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:11 pm

Well if a Qld Minelab dealer can find 15 oz bits in old ground, I'm in!
Alan WA
Alan WA
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2009-04-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Cal Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:14 pm

GemQ, this Zed owner definately has no wry smile or wink. Operating the Zed in the GT since day 1 of release, it has found NOTHING that a GPX fitted with the right coil would not have found.

My confidence in ML has been shattered by the Zed fiasco. 30% deeper? Yeah right, every new product from this company has always promised "30% deeper", what else could you expect?

Come release date, we will FINALLY know if the Zed is WORTH $5K or $15K. Am I feeling lucky? Not particularly, but hey, ML know the thinking of a prospector and therefore know I will have a punt and cough up the absurd price for the coil.

BTW, judging by the photos of the coil, ML have already let us taller operators (I'm 5' 11") down by supplying the same size shaft supplied with the 14". FFS, this is ALREADY too short for use with the 14"coil , causing me back strain, let alone pushing the f***er out from me with a 19" on the end of it. Shame - yet another eg of no field sense from this company.

Tick tock, tick tock Suspect
Cal
Cal
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 210
Registration date : 2008-10-25

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:16 am

Yep,another noticeable blunder by Minelab Cal. Its bad enough that a small Walco pick (when carried on the hip side of ones belt) is often picked up when swinging the 14x13 round towards the pick side. I can't Imagine what a much larger coil with greater sensitivity/depth value would do? Not alone squatting down & checking for target response from ones scoop? Any metallic part from headphones to Modem,will be picked up by the much larger coil.
Yep,looks like some challenging times ahead.Shocked
V56 V14  large pick carried over shoulder & bungee strap,coupled to hip stick,supplementing for detector/coil weight. V51
Oi,shouldn't future detector/coil combinations,be getting lighter as technology progresses further into the 21st century? Then why do I get the impression of feeling like a fully laden Jack Ass (you know,one that sits & refuses to budge) once harnessed up with all the above? Q35

Cheers Kon. Q11
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:53 am

Well to this point I have not succumbed to the idea of purchasing a Gpz7000 and still hold the opinion that this machine is an overpriced and overweight machine that either delivers or does not deliver depending on whether you talk to the bloke with the wry smile and wink cyclops  or the bloke who tells it as it is Mad , after asking many Gpz owners the same questions over and over and still getting the same response that the machine is too heavy but it finds small gold?, and after looking at dozens of postings on Gpz's for sale the seller is either saying outright that its too heavy for them, or selling due to health problems.

Anyway from my first hand observations of the machine in use the first thing that intrigues me is that in order to use the thing for any length of time you have to be wearing a heavy uncomfortable harness with double support bars and swing arm attachment, and irrelevant to what I have heard people say there are times when the user wishes that they were able to fit a smaller coil to it but cant, for me a detector has to be comfortable to use and have the option to be able to change coils when and if I decide to, for either the reason of making it lighter to use at the end of the day or when and if ground conditions dictate, as no matter what no one coil can do everything, and often changing coils to more suit the condition can be the difference to getting or not getting the gold.

au-fever

Last edited by au-fever on Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:33 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:33 am

G'day au-fever

I for one am glad you think that way, because from my point of view the more people that stick to the older machines the more gold that is left for the mighty Zed to get.

You say they were a "very experienced prospector with years of detecting experience" well this may well be the case, but if they don't know how the use the Zed the way the Zed wants to be used then the result they got is no surprise.

When all the dust settles and time in the field with the new 19" coil is what will determine if it's a success or a big white elephant.

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  GOLDEN CRACK Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:58 am

yeah Dave gotta agree with u--
some people are full of themselves and certainly go out of there way to compare apples with a side of beef,

I'm really glad that everyone isn't using a GPZ.

why would u compare a 2300 with a gpz on small gold--mate if u r using a $10,000 machine then the last thing I would want to be doing is digging fly ****. That's what the 2300 is designed for and it excels.

for the people that go bush on a very regular basis then most of us in my area are using the GPZ with very good results.

set the harness up and spend some time adjusting it to get it right then there goes any argument.
If u don't like the harness then use a hip stick--not real hard.

if u have a look around there are a lot of individuals that are simply fat and all the harnesses in the world would prove difficult to wear.
do something about yah body shape--see yah doctor--get some Duramine--that will kick start yah new life style.
But no matter what those that don't find much gold per season will always find a way out and play the blame game.
I don't personally give a rats if the machine that is glued to my hand costs thousands so long as it performs.

u will most probably get a report from JP--one would assume hes in the west with the 19" coil flogging the crap out of patches....cant wait.

some people are never happy and worry about others too much.
call lifeline and have a chat.

cheers

GOLDEN CRACK
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2016-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Harb Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:23 am

To me it was just a matter of keeping up to date with a better technology and hope I can master its operation to get the best out of it......the new coil will be the same.

Cost, well its only expensive if it doesn't help the search for gold, and I think a lot of that falls on the operator, where he detects and how much time is spentswinging the machine.

I will still keep my 4500's though.......they have a place thats for sure, and if nothing else they are worthy backup machines.

I think this machine to me is more of a "masters" machine......I will call it that rather than the ugly "retired" word.......you work slow, very calculated and listen and dig every target, I will get around the padocks like a pensioner......probably cover less ground, but when you are done, the ground is completely expired until something new and deeper comes out, and then you have to consider the depth......maybe the next level requires machnes that run on deisel rather than batteries......you can only dig so far with hand tools and call it a good time.

Anyway, my trip to WA next year will tell the tail for me.......I am hoping its been a wise investment
Harb
Harb
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 720
Registration date : 2010-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post  alchemist Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:10 am

I tested the 7000 against my GPX early on and was a bit disappointed as the GPX gave way stronger responses on a number of solid bits larger than a few grams or so.
This new coil I think will close that margin so that not only will the 7000 be better on fly-poop and spongy reefy gold but also solid compressed stuff as well.

There's be quite a bit of grumbling about the price but when you look at it from a Zero Voltage perspective it doesn't seem so bad. What I'm getting at is how the 14 inch coil seemed to snag deep fly-poop to rabbit-poop sized gold really well all at once. As many have found out doing an area it was like covering the ground with 3 different coils at once. Gold found at depths and size only an 8 inch would touch and then pieces the size and depth a 12 inch would only get and then even stuff you'd need a 15 inch to ping all with the one 14 incher.

I expect the new coil will follow this characteristic and be like covering the ground with a larger set of coils such as an 11" + 14" + 18" all at once, and you can afford to go real slow since you only need to do the ground once from any direction and not three times.

This is getting long winded but what would it cost you to buy three new coils such as an Elite 11" and 14" and 18"?
$1,350

So from this point of view the price of the 19 incher is not so bad, I agree the difference for first adopters could have been a little better, but I reckon in just the right place it should recover some nice gold to soften the blow to the wallet.

Cheers
alchemist
alchemist
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 525
Registration date : 2009-01-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:42 am

alchemist wrote:
but what would it cost you to buy three new coils such as an Elite 11" and 14" and 18"?
$1,350

You make a vey good point there alchemist. Very Happy

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  slimpickens Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:07 pm

alchemist wrote:  
I expect the new coil will follow this characteristic and be like covering the ground with a larger set of coils such as an 11" + 14" + 18" all at once, and you can afford to go real slow since you only need to do the ground once from any direction and not three times.

This is getting long winded but what would it cost you to buy three new coils such as an Elite 11" and 14" and 18"?
$1,350

So from this point of view the price of the 19 incher is not so bad, I agree the difference for first adopters could have been a little better, but I reckon in just the right place it should recover some nice gold to soften the blow to the wallet.

Cheers

Ay alchemist, stop making sense. Razz You could also have added the 8'' to your list because the Zed 14" seriously matches it.

slimpickens
slimpickens
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 3675
Registration date : 2010-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post  slimpickens Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:08 pm

3 questions for the field testers:-

1) As Jay gold asked, how does the 19" big whopper perform in extra deep? ( The whole point of buying this coil isn't?)

2) What is the shape of the detecting field under ground? Mono like conical, or DD blade type, or something unique. It will be important to know.

3) Will it come with a solid skid plate, do the field testers think it needs one?
slimpickens
slimpickens
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  alchemist Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:10 pm

Good questions Slim Wink

I hope someone can answer them.

I tried to login and ask Phil Beck on the Minelab treasure talk page that covers the 19" seems it's the horses mouth (excuse the imagery) but my membership seems to have lapsed as it regurgitated my password Rolling Eyes

Cheers

Last edited by alchemist on Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:18 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : extra bits)
alchemist
alchemist
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  geof_junk Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:27 pm

3) Will it come with a solid skid plate, do the field testers think it needs one?

Good question ...... going by it weight I would say it will be dragging on the ground very hard..... but seeing it is that heavy may be not, as it may not be used much at all. Laughing Laughing Laughing
geof_junk
geof_junk
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 933
Registration date : 2008-11-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Jack outwest Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:49 pm

Cal wrote:GemQ, this Zed owner definately has no wry smile or wink. Operating the Zed in the GT since day 1 of release, it has found NOTHING that a GPX fitted with the right coil would not have found.

My confidence in ML has been shattered by the Zed fiasco. 30% deeper? Yeah right, every new product from this company has always promised "30% deeper", what else could you expect?

Come release date, we will FINALLY know if the Zed is WORTH $5K or $15K. Am I feeling lucky? Not particularly, but hey, ML know the thinking of a prospector and therefore know I will have a punt and cough up the absurd price for the coil.

BTW, judging by the photos of the coil, ML have already let us taller operators (I'm 5' 11") down by supplying the same size shaft supplied with the 14". FFS, this is ALREADY too short for use with the 14"coil , causing me back strain, let alone pushing the f***er out from me with a 19" on the end of it. Shame - yet another eg of no field sense from this company.

Tick tock, tick tock Suspect

I hear you Cal ' deeper & deeper  rabbit  where are all the big  nuggets the 7000  should have found by now ?  maybe they are 31% deeper .  
That's why you need the 19"" coil  to go deeper   Razz

Cant wait for the release of the 8000 because it will go deeper & deeper    Very Happy
Jack outwest
Jack outwest
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1399
Registration date : 2012-09-30

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:23 am

"FOREINER" Lyrics (slightly modded to suit me & my coil).

So long, I'v been looking too hard,I'v been waiting too long
Sometimes I don't know what I will find,I only know its a matter of, time
I'v been waiting,for a Coil like you,to come into my life
I'v been waiting,for a Coil like you, your swinging will survive
I'v been waiting,for something new,to make me feel alive
Yeah, waiting for a coil like you,to come into my life
It feels so right, so warm and true,I need to know if you feel it too
This heart of mine has been hurt before, this time I want to be sure
Maybe I'm wrong,won't you tell me if I'm swinging on too strong
There's no where on earth that I'd rather be,than scraping the ground with you tenderly
I'v been waiting for a coil like you, who's scraping will survive
I'v been waiting for something new,to make me feel alive
Yeah waiting for a coil like you to come into my life
I'v been waiting
Won't you come into my life.
Good hey? Q35

Cheers Kon61 Q11 Q35
kon61
kon61
Management

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:02 am

Deleted

Last edited by au-fever on Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:35 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:10 am

au-fever wrote:
GOLDEN CRACK wrote:yeah Dave gotta agree with u--
some people are full of themselves and certainly go out of there way to compare apples with a side of beef,

I'm really glad that everyone isn't using a GPZ.

why would u compare a 2300 with a gpz on small gold--mate if u r using a $10,000 machine then the last thing I would want to be doing is digging fly ****. That's what the 2300 is designed for and it excels.

for the people that go bush on a very regular basis then most of us in my area are using the GPZ with very good results.

set the harness up and spend some time adjusting it to get it right then there goes any argument.
If u don't like the harness then use a hip stick--not real hard.

if u have a look around there are a lot of individuals that are simply fat and all the harnesses in the world would prove difficult to wear.
do something about yah body shape--see yah doctor--get some Duramine--that will kick start yah new life style.
But no matter what those that don't find much gold per season will always find a way out and play the blame game.
I don't personally give a rats if the machine that is glued to my hand costs thousands so long as it performs.

u will most probably get a report from JP--one would assume hes in the west with the 19" coil flogging the crap out of patches....cant wait.

some people are never happy and worry about others too much.
call lifeline and have a chat.

cheers

Gday

Mate forums are about being able to have an opinion as well, and I might add that what gives you the right to attack me on a personal level just because I don't share your views:cyclops: , I think the saying is comparing apples to oranges?

au-fever

G'day au-fever

I apologize if you think I was having a go at you on a personal level, I certainly wasn't. I was just making a point that from my point of view the less people using a 7000 means more gold left in the ground for those using the 7000, anyhow this is what I have noticed over the year or so since the 7000 has been released.

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Reef Rover Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:02 pm

Hey Kon61. love your song! That is a knee slapper Razz    If your not a songwriter already I'd say you missed your calling! Dam that was funny!  Regards Richard
Reef Rover
Reef Rover
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2013-02-21

Back to top Go down

Post  alchemist Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:00 pm

I've been contemplating some of the details about this new coil to try and get a proper understanding of what to expect.
Comparing the 14 to the 19 we have approximately 88% greater surface area and 37% larger diameter.

Rough depth difference between two coils is physically a function of coil area, and can be approximated by subtracting the radius of the smaller coil from the larger.
In this case it is approximately 9.25 - 6.75 = 2.5"

So the least we can expect on average sized targets is 6 to 7 cms (note; this only relates to targets that were on the detection threshold of the smaller coil and their subsequent extra range on the larger)

This fully backs up the 30% extra claim by Minelab, because the coil is physically larger it can't help but give a greater range relative to the size difference between them.

Looking at Minelabs chart of target data shows some results having more than 2.5" extra range so what's going on there. It is most likely to do with the bigger coil not being affected by as much ground signal which causes the smaller coil to see the target at a lesser distance.
This effect is so marked that the Average range improvement with High Yield over the first 4 targets is 4"

So it is likely that quiet ground will not provide as much extra advantage with the 19" as hotter ground will.

I wonder if the 19" handles wet ground worse or better than the 14"?

It appears that there will be little if any forum comments from testers, probably after the last fiasco Minelabs told them all to pull their heads in and take cover.

I think the silence on Extra Deep is worrying.

Cheers

alchemist
alchemist
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:43 pm

Thanks Richard.I thought this to be the perfect song to suit the long awaited 19 inch Super D. Only a matter of time before the waters start drying up &  once again "The Hills Are Alive,With the Sound of Detectors" Q35 Mozzies or no mozzies,hang on in there Slim.Soon we'll be hitting the goldfields with a vengeance,like that never seen on this earth before. Nothing will escape our wrath. Heaven help the man who stands in the way of our gold Q35
Alchemist,all will be revealed soon. Minelab know exactly what they'v created & have in their hands.So whether us 7000 users like it or not,if it does what Minelab have basically guaranteed us it does,or is capable of ("Maximising" the performance of the GPZ's potential),it will revolutionise detecting for gold,as what we know of it today. It will also put an end to all large coils before it. Hence the exorbitant price hike.

Cheers Kon. Q11
kon61
kon61
Management

Back to top Go down

Post  slimpickens Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:47 pm

kon61 wrote: "FOREINER" Lyrics (slightly modded to suit me & my coil).

So long, I'v been looking too hard,I'v been waiting too long
Sometimes I don't know what I will find,I only know its a matter of, time
I'v been waiting,for a Coil like you,to come into my life
I'v been waiting,for a Coil like you, your swinging will survive
I'v been waiting,for something new,to make me feel alive
Yeah, waiting for a coil like you,to come into my life
It feels so right, so warm and true,I need to know if you feel it too
This heart of mine has been hurt before, this time I want to be sure
Maybe I'm wrong,won't you tell me if I'm swinging on too strong
There's no where on earth that I'd rather be,than scraping the ground with you tenderly
I'v been waiting for a coil like you, who's scraping will survive
I'v been waiting for something new,to make me feel alive
Yeah waiting for a coil like you to come into my life
I'v been waiting
Won't you come into my life.
Good hey?  Q35

Cheers Kon61  Q11  Q35  
i

Almost brought a tear to my eyes Kon. Great lyrics. Now all we have to do is ply you with enough gin & tonics on our next trip to make ya get up and sing it round the campfire in front of all the crew. Twisted Evil  Razz
slimpickens
slimpickens
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:19 pm

We'll be doing more than just singing round the camp fire Harry. V16 V20  T27  V06 V18 Q11 cheers

Cheers Kon. Q11 T25
kon61
kon61
Management

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:41 pm

slimpickens wrote:

Hey Harry
If any of the testers felt inclined to answer that, I think it would come down to a personal choice.  I imagine the testers over in the wide open spaces of WA would probably say the coil doesn`t need a solid skid plate, but here in Vic I think a solid plate would be a must have.  When I had the 5000 I made a solid skid plate for my 20" round and it made the coil about a million % more pleasurable and easy to use.
cheers Dave

Back to top Go down

Post  slimpickens Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:49 pm

Thanks phoenix for that.

Found this on Ebay

High Density Polyethelene 2m x 1m x 1.5mm HDPE

$20.00 per sheet
eBay item number:291791498259

Wondering if it's any good.

Would someone know how to put the eBay listing on here?
slimpickens
slimpickens
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:01 pm

Harry for me personally i have no idea what High Density Polyethelene might be so I rekon you can`t go past the lexan. If you buy a sheet of this stuff you have a lifetime supply of skid pates. The lexan does wear out but it takes a damn long time. I still have the original piece of lexan on my 2300
cheers

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1220-x-2440-x-1mm-polycarbonate-Clear-Sheet-Bayer-FREE-Postage-Limited-time-/262357992528?hash=item3d15c14450:g:j5gAAMXQ-3NRnFy9

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:27 pm

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.TRS0&_nkw=291791498259&_sacat=0

I have also seen the same sort of thing in bunnings

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next