Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

first impressions :)

+10
madmax800
nero_design
alchemist
HueyDuck
polak
kon61
Jigalong
hoolahoopa
GoldstalkerGPX
gollstar
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

first impressions :) - Page 2 Empty Re: first impressions :)

Post  Guest Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:23 pm

Looks like your having a great time at Hill End mtuna >>>AGAIN What a Face

I'm impressed Very Happy Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:47 pm

thanks mate...apart from foot rot and mud still oozing from wierd places...always have a ball out there

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:13 pm

madtuna wrote:...apart from foot rot and mud still oozing from wierd places...

Hhhhha there is always a cost - Pardon me if I go and spew silent silent

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:28 pm

Just come back from HE and MT and myself compared my 4500 and his 5000 using a bird shot target buried about 6"+ deep (pick length).

We both had 14" round NF adv coils otto shafts BZ boosters etc, front end mono-fixed-general and enhanced was the first setting ( obviously fine gold etc isn't on the 4500). Rear was reset to factory settings.
Factory defaults were chosen as the 5000 has different ranges for gain and something else i have forgotten.
On the factory settings BOTH units heard the SAME EMI spikes and BOTH ran smoothly over the SAME high min grd, experiencing the SAME back grd interference.
Adjusting the stabilizer on both, lowering target vol etc made no noticeable difference.

Both units reset to factory defaults and compared, coils swung over both targets the first was larger piece of lead at the same depth no guessing there both picked it up loud and clear however the bird shot was a different story.

My 4500 just heard it at factory MTs 5000 was a far less of a response (if any), we then switched the 5000 from enhanced to fine gold and salt gold (same factory settings)and a no response was had.
Now the little test we did isn't a be all end all result it was a spur of the moment thing and we both agreed a proper test bed with more varying target sizes and depth is required and may well give a different result.
However with this little test i did expect the 5000 to walk all over my 4500.....................but it didn't.

All i can post is what i observed MT may want to add more, R yer he whipped my arse with 5 pieces to me zip must be that 5000 hes using first impressions :) - Page 2 Icon_wink .

Regards
John
PS another fav trip away with ya M8 and good to meet Jigalong for the first time and for once MT didnt get bogged LOL ...............................but Jigalong did first impressions :) - Page 2 Icon_wink .

Back to top Go down

Post  nero_design Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:32 pm

I believe a couple of our club members helped rescue one of your bogged vehicles last weekend. I don't believe it was Jigalong's wheels though.
nero_design
nero_design
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2008-11-18

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax800 Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:58 pm

Were you using the DD or Mono that came with the detector .
I am in the process of selling my 4500.

What have most done, traded the 45, sold the 45 or kept them as a backup.

Regards

madmax800
madmax800
madmax800
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 374
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:23 pm

freshwater wrote:Just come back from HE and MT and myself compared my 4500 and his 5000 using a bird shot target buried about 6"+ deep (pick length).

We both had 14" round NF adv coils otto shafts BZ boosters etc, front end mono-fixed-general and enhanced was the first setting ( obviously fine gold etc isn't on the 4500). Rear was reset to factory settings.
Factory defaults were chosen as the 5000 has different ranges for gain and something else i have forgotten.
On the factory settings BOTH units heard the SAME EMI spikes and BOTH ran smoothly over the SAME high min grd, experiencing the SAME back grd interference.
Adjusting the stabilizer on both, lowering target vol etc made no noticeable difference.

Both units reset to factory defaults and compared, coils swung over both targets the first was larger piece of lead at the same depth no guessing there both picked it up loud and clear however the bird shot was a different story.

My 4500 just heard it at factory MTs 5000 was a far less of a response (if any), we then switched the 5000 from enhanced to fine gold and salt gold (same factory settings)and a no response was had.
Now the little test we did isn't a be all end all result it was a spur of the moment thing and we both agreed a proper test bed with more varying target sizes and depth is required and may well give a different result.
However with this little test i did expect the 5000 to walk all over my 4500.....................but it didn't.

All i can post is what i observed MT may want to add more, R yer he whipped my arse with 5 pieces to me zip must be that 5000 hes using first impressions :) - Page 2 Icon_wink .

Regards
John
PS another fav trip away with ya M8 and good to meet Jigalong for the first time and for once MT didnt get bogged LOL ...............................but Jigalong did first impressions :) - Page 2 Icon_wink .

tah mate, yep another great weekend away... and yeah, I didn't get bogged which was a change from the norm Laughing mind you we nearly lost the postie bikes in the mud a few times!
I did take some comfort in the other two getting bogged...it's not just me!

Yep, the side by side test was revealing. I would have thought Fine gold would have bested Enhance on the 4500 on that size target at that depth but it didn't. The 4500 gave a much more audible response where as I would not have dug on the response given by the 5000.
We did get a dig me response with fine gold at one point, but it took some tweaking and I think we also got instability....more playing around is in order I think.
Aswell as a test bed I'd like to try a more thorough test on an undug target, as I dug some BB's, wire, boot tacs etc from some stupid depths, as you did too with your 4500.

After 3 weekends of use now, apart from flicking from enhance to fine I am still yet to stop, experiment and optimize my settings on a target in situ...I get excited and dig and then think...damn!

EMI was a bitch this weekend at times on both machine equally, though not nearly as big a problem with the 11" and 8"commander monos but that is as expected with the smaller coils.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:03 am

After 3 weekends of use now, apart from flicking from enhance to fine I am still yet to stop, experiment and optimize my settings on a target in situ...I get excited and dig and then think...damn!
Yer definatly need some more testing i feel, as i said nothing concrete with this little test so people dont read into it any anti 5000 sediments this is not the intention.
Had some fun in the mud on the posties great little movers.
Regards
John
PS madmax800 only you can decide what you want to do with your 4500, me if i could afford it (wife lets me keep my old detector that is)id be keeping mine after i have brought a 5000 but thats just my opinion. Mono coils were used.

I don't believe it was Jigalong's wheels though.
huh ?????

Back to top Go down

Post  Jigalong Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:01 am

This weekend at HE, I was bogged up to my eyeballs when I was out on a track with Duck and Fred. Luckily Duck was able to winch me out, but in doing so, got himself bogged . After winching himself out, we all beat a hasty retreat. As usual with men, Duck had never read the instructions regarding winch operation, so there was a fair bit of head scratching and cursing.

I ended up with four nuggets a 2.8m, 1.5gm, 0.3gm, 0.2gm. I will add a photo here tonight. Great weekend with Fred and Duck, brilliant weather and nice to catch up with Tuna and Freshwater.

I found the two larger nuggets only half an hour after turning on the new 5000 for the first time, but I would have found them just the same with the 4500.

First Impressions
I really could not tell I was using a 5000 instead of my 4500, sorry. I dug 66 targets in two and a half days and was mighty impressed by the "Fine Pellet" setting - I got 31 lead shot in my total - awesome.

first impressions :) - Page 2 Hill-End-Sep-2010-for-web
Jigalong
Jigalong
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1316
Registration date : 2008-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post  paragold Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:31 pm

Great reports, this little ducks $6700 is staying in the bank.

paragold
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2010-08-29

Back to top Go down

Post  chopppacalamari Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:10 pm

Nice gold there Jig,

I like to hear how many targets were dug on the weekend. I'll have to stop throwing the hotrocks from my magnet into my bag so I can do a count up at the end of the day next time. Good to hear your truck is going again.

Hi John, Your old 4000 has been serving me well thanks mate! Don't worry I've become accustomed to camping with MT and he finds all the gold. I think he can smell the stuff.

Dicko.
chopppacalamari
chopppacalamari
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 660
Registration date : 2008-12-13

Back to top Go down

first impressions :) - Page 2 Empty the more I use it the more I like it!

Post  Guest Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:46 pm

43.9 grms from my usual haunt this week so I've covered the upgrade cost atleast.

Spent much time flicking between enhance and fine gold and pulled out many targets with fine that enhance just didn't see or did see but would not have pulled me up. That's not to say enhance on my 4500 or even this 5000 couldn't have been optimized and found them.
The smoothness and stability of the 5000 is a joy and I still believe it does run smoother than my 4500.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:38 am

Good job Tuna, ya gotta be happy with that. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  HueyDuck Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:55 pm

Tune,

That is great going keep it up!!!!!!!!

HueyDuck....
HueyDuck
HueyDuck
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2010-04-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:09 pm

like dicko says, i think you can smell gold.... Wink
well done, theres a tick for the 5000

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:47 am

thanks fellas! was very happy with the trip...mostly little bits from not registering on the scale through to 6.1gr...but they all add up so I never throw the small ones back.
Sold a 5.1gr to some panner at the camp ground who had to have it for a very tidy sum!...bet he tells his mate he panned it! Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldstalkerGPX Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:29 pm

madtuna wrote:...bet he tells his mate he panned it! Very Happy

And sells it to him for twice what he paid you!!!
GoldstalkerGPX
GoldstalkerGPX
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post  kevlorraine2 Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:06 pm

tuna, or any others that might have done this comparison.

i recently worked a well worked small patch in meekathara. it had been part graded, chained both ways and had old and new detector holes, some good sizes.
i came along to check for leftovers with my 4500, 17x11 NF mono. first and biggest nug was a 2gram black specimen with no gold on the outside, the strong signal made me check it out further. it wasnt a hot rock like the thousands around it. i found 25 small bits on day one all in enhance. average size would have been about .4gram. i read the instruction book that night and after much testing on day 2, found about 30, most all in EXTRA. i compared enhance and extra many times over the next two days after finding new targets in extra. conclusion - extra murdered enhance by about 10 to 1, by finding the giant .4gram nugs and also smaller bits that didnt register a weight. total 119 nugs for 33grams over the 4 and half days. deepest piece was 11 inches, ground very hot red, wet soil, with mineral wash runs and ironstone reef borders. average nug size was about .2gms.

has anybody done a similar experiement? if you have, and now have a 5000. the question is --- is fine gold just a renamed EXTRA mode? i will probably upgrade eventually, but at the moment this recent patch bash has me wondering if i should stick to the 4500 for a while and go back over a hell of a lot of country that i have been successful in with the enhance mode. decisions decisions.

keep the testing coming on the 500 fellas, and thanks in advance ... kev

kevlorraine2
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 504
Registration date : 2008-10-23

Back to top Go down

first impressions :) - Page 2 Empty First Test GPX 5000

Post  rapulofa Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:32 pm

Fine Gold search mode.......first day out 32 pieces second day out 42 pieces the biggest was half an oz coil use 11"mono. I have been detecting on an area where it's been really hammered, but the 5000 fine gold search mode is magic the 4500 is good but the 5000 is bloody awsome.Going back out tomorrow doing more test using 20" NF coil. Smile Smile

rapulofa

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2010-10-24

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2