Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

detecting in national parks & state forrests

3 posters

Go down

detecting in national parks & state forrests Empty detecting in national parks & state forrests

Post  jacktar Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:17 pm

Hi all, I have been researching old gold mine sites to investigate, as a beginner I have noticed that an awful lot of the old diggings are found in these parks and forrest areas. Does this preclude one from searching here, as mines dept rules imply (to ring them takes forever)that it is not permitted, and you should use designated areas or obtain permission to use private property? Am I accurate.

Mark M cheers
jacktar
jacktar
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2010-08-03

http://www.benhallaustralianbushranger.com/

Back to top Go down

detecting in national parks & state forrests Empty Re: detecting in national parks & state forrests

Post  chopppacalamari Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:40 pm

That's right mate,

National parks are out of bounds for detecting or fossicking. There's a total flora and fauna protection which precludes us digging holes.

State parks are another story. In NSW we are allowed providing we obtain a permit. Remember shooters can get permits to shoot in state parks now too so the permit system more or less guarantees that you and the shooters will not be at the same place on the same day. State Recreational area's such as at burrendong dam and wyangla dam are allowed with no permit.. However the only detectable gold at Wyangla dam (that I've heard about) has been up the back end and not in the state rec area anyway.
chopppacalamari
chopppacalamari
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 660
Registration date : 2008-12-13

Back to top Go down

detecting in national parks & state forrests Empty Re: detecting in national parks & state forrests

Post  Guest Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:47 pm

chopppacalamari wrote:That's right mate,

National parks are out of bounds for detecting or fossicking.

Mostly thats right choppa, but the Greater Bendigo National Park in VIC has designated areas that you can detect in, just check the areas first where you can go.

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Kudu Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:20 pm

Good day all

I recently went to the mines dept in Kalgoorlie (WA) as I was interested in detecting in a timber reserve. I was told that I need written permission from the minister of consevation. The lady also told me that when an area on tengraph has got a red coloured boundary (easily noticable on tengraph), it means that it is a protected area, and that metaldetecting is not allowed without the neccassary permission.

Best

Kudu
Kudu
Kudu
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2009-07-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:59 pm

The Chiltern-Pilot National Park and the Heathcote-Greytown N/Park you can fossick and prospect in these new parks with some restrictions -- these are in Victoria

Back to top Go down