Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2300 speaker or phones

+3
kiwijw
Dozer
hotrob
7 posters

Go down

2300 speaker or phones Empty 2300 speaker or phones

Post  Guest Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:06 am

Do you use the headphones or the built speaker when using the 2300.

and any particular reason why. V19 V19

Captn

Back to top Go down

2300 speaker or phones Empty Re: 2300 speaker or phones

Post  Guest Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:59 am

Hi Cap'n, I use the headphones as I often can't hear well with the speaker. The slightest wind or traffic noise will make it difficult for me.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:26 am

Morning Sparrowfart.
I have the same trouble but the headphones that come with the machine are to short and such a nuisance!!

Captn

Back to top Go down

Post  Dozer Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:57 am

The speaker that is built into the machine is as bad as the short cable on the headphones.
Sadly the only practical remedy is to purchase an adaptor cable and use headphones with a longer cable. However the adaptor cable has the same molded plug as the supplied headphones and this plug will cause issues if you are not very gentle with it.
The blurb sheet that comes with it advises bracing the cable to relieve strain on the plug and even then it will fail at some stage.
Minelab have created a fantastic electronic package that is let down by the myriad of ergonomic failures that were inbuilt.
But this machine can sure find gold. Wind the sensitivity up balance it as best you can then low and slow over the ground. It will chatter and squeal away but any gold will jump out and demand to be dug.
Enjoy

Dozer
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2012-11-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:20 am

Morning Cap'n, yes it comes with a few issues but will find little bits where others have missed etc. Any repeatable noise even the back ground chatter may be a target, as long as it repeats. good luck with it. sunny

Back to top Go down

Post  hotrob Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:07 pm

Hi Cap'n Z,

I initially used the head phones that come with the SDC but got sick of the short lead pretty quickly.
I didn't mind the quality of the sound from the head phones but the combination of the short lead & the fact that I detect with my wife in toe a lot & she found it BORING when she couldn't listen in .......so i bought the adaptor lead & a small speaker that I clip on my shoulder next to my dominant ear & with the bit of extra lead this ticks all the boxes for us.
Sparrowfart your avatar cracks me up every time....... no matter how sh!t my day has been ..... every time I look at your mate in his beany & scarf I have to laugh. We had a dog that would pass for his twin...... best dog I've ever owned but sadly now gone...... I still miss him terribly but your mate puts a grin on my face every time...... if he sires a litter let me know.
Sorry to go off topic guys...... the SDC & speaker combo kicks butt!

Rob.

hotrob
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2014-12-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:55 am

Thanks for the info guys.

Captn

Back to top Go down

Post  vmaxx Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:07 am

Hi, i use a wireless setup i put together, BT sender, size of a matchbox, (purchased ebay under $20.00) and BT bud earphones, again ebay, under $20.00.
Light, cheap, good sound quality/volume, NO wires, i'm happy.

vmaxx
vmaxx
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2013-04-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:56 am

Hi vmaxx Sounds like a good idea but I'm not tech savvy do you have links to those items??

Captn

Back to top Go down

Post  vmaxx Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:45 pm

headphones : http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Bluedio-N2-Wireless-Bluetooth-Stereo-Headphones-Earbuds-Handsfree-Mic-Headset-/291455277205?var=&hash=item43dc169895

B/Tooth module : http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mini-3-5mm-Bluetooth-Wireless-Stereo-Audio-Transmitter-A2DP-Music-Adapter-15U1-/201410045534?hash=item2ee4f9665e

for around $40 you get a wireless setup, good audio & all use the same size charging socket as samsung phones etc. If u dont end up liking it u can always use the h/phones with your phone, tablet etc..

will be going out sunday Talbot way to give the unit a proper tryout on the SDC. Your'e welcome the come along if you're local & see yourself.

I get about 10-12 hrs listening to music etc with the headphones, amazing considering the battery must be miniscule.
vmaxx
vmaxx
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:39 am

Thanks for all the effort in the reply vmaxx thanks for the offer but don't know about Sunday yet, its a long weekend so I usually just do what I'm told. I would like to ask 1 stupid question if I may and please don't feel ill of me BUT how dose the b/t sender attach to the detector do you need a special adaptor?????

Captn

Back to top Go down

Post  vmaxx Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:51 pm

Yes, you'll need Nenand's lead http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Phase-Technical-Adaptor-Lead-for-Minelab-SDC-2300-/331669398481?hash=item4d390963d1

BT sender simply plugs into that lead with a headphone reducer plug. Also good to have anyway so you can then use any headphones on this machine with that lead.
vmaxx
vmaxx
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Dozer Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:29 pm

That is the lead that you need to take a lot of care with. Make sure that whatever is plugged into it cannot pull on the plug that connects to the 2300 as it will eventually start giving static and then fail.
The blurb sheet talks about bracing it with velcro or something similar.
The same plug is on the phones that come with the 2300 and many of them are failing in the same way.
The plug is non repairable as far as I know.

The first one failed on me with no warning and I was a long way out in the bush. My hearing is not great at the best of times and the speaker on the 2300 is not much use to me if there is any wind so I left the area and drove to town. Organised a replacement which took a couple of days to arrive. Went back to the "spot" and as expected it had been dealt to.
I now carry a spare cord as I don't want that to happen again. To say I was grumpy would be an understatement but it was a lesson well learned.

Dozer
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2012-11-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:14 am

Sorry about your misfortune Dozer, you can't turn your back for five minuets can you. V02  V02

Captn

Back to top Go down

Post  peterau Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:40 am

Hi rang Bendigo Gold yesterday enquiring about a booster for my 2300 and I was told that they are working on a wireless booster setup for the 2300 and would probably be available in a couple of months.

peterau
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2012-06-19

Back to top Go down

Post  determined1 Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:43 pm

Would be very interested to hear your assessment from your outing on Sunday vmaxx.  V19

Also thanks of the information in your post peterau T06

Determined1

determined1
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 375
Registration date : 2013-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:27 pm

hotrob wrote:Hi Cap'n Z,

I initially used the head phones that come with the SDC but got sick of the short lead pretty quickly.
I didn't mind the quality of the sound from the head phones but the combination of the short lead & the fact that I detect with my wife in toe a lot & she found it BORING when she couldn't listen in .......so i bought the adaptor lead & a small speaker that I clip on my shoulder next to my dominant ear & with the bit of extra lead this ticks all the boxes for us.
Sparrowfart your avatar cracks me up every time....... no matter how sh!t my day has been ..... every time I look at your mate in his beany & scarf I have to laugh. We had a dog that would pass for his twin...... best dog I've ever owned but sadly now gone...... I still miss him terribly but your mate puts a grin on my face every time...... if he sires a litter let me know.
Sorry to go off topic guys...... the SDC & speaker combo kicks butt!

Rob.

Hi Rob, sorry for the late reply. I have been up at Tibooburra just got back this arvo. Jack is a cool dog I will bear it in mind if he find a girlfriend. O'yes, got 6 grams for 62 bits over six days at Tib and I'm happy with that. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:26 am

I use a set of these which will turn any chosen booster &/or normal headphones into a wireless set up:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Avantree-Saturn-Pro-Pack-of-2-low-latency-Bluetooth-audio-receiver-transmitter-/231560541001?hash=item35ea157349
Picked mine up for $75. They work well with no detectable latency. Batteries have been lasting a full day detecting. I just glued some velco to them & position the tx on my detector cover + the rx on my booster. Been using for 3 months now with no issues.
Depending on your set up you may need to get some adaptor cables to:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/380845001930?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/380490452636?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Back to top Go down

Post  determined1 Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:44 am

Thanks for that info mbasko,

Seems that a wireless setup of some sort is an absolute must for lots of reasons not the least of which is getting the load off the connection on the detector.

I only lasted three minutes with the supplied headset before flinging it. More affraid of the strain on the lead than I was, focused on operating. The speaker position on the detector did not work for me either.

Love the concept of the machine overall though. Great backup to the old 45 I reckon.

Determined1

determined1
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  kiwijw Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:34 pm

Hi guys, I use the headphones. I used be be very pissed off with the short lead on the sdc supplied head phones but then I just changed my target retrieval method. Instead of putting the detector down on the ground, which I laid sideways as it always fell over any way, I now just hold on to the detector & scrape the signal out with my pick until the signal has moved. Detector in right hand & pick in the left. I then put pick back in the holster of leave on the ground. Get my scoop out from my back pocket & scoop up target, left hand, & wave over the coil at my feet until I have it in the scoop. My right arm is through the arm cuff strap of the detector so I am able to let go of the detector grip with my right hand & the detector stays in place while I tip some of the scoop contents in to my right hand & then bend over & wave the scoop that is in my left hand over the coil to determine if the target is in the scoop or my hand. I some times have to put my foot lightly on the coil to stop the detector sliding. Then just a matter of whittling it down from there, scoop/hand. This way I have no problems with the headphone lead & as the gold is usually small it isn't very deep & is retrieved quickly. Works for me & I am happy with that system. If I had an external speaker system I would use that as that is what I use on my 4500. Haven't used headphones on the 4500 for years. Cheers.

Good luck out there.

JW Smile
kiwijw
kiwijw
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1886
Registration date : 2010-09-02

Back to top Go down

Post  vmaxx Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:01 pm

Well i'm very happy with my wireless setup, the headphones are so light you forget you have them on, volume could be a tad higher, but quite acceptable, i am not running through any booster, nor do i think i will need to. We detected for about 6 hrs today, and they did not miss a beat. Overall, for a total outlay of 40 odd bucks (not counting Nenads lead) i don't think you can do better.
vmaxx
vmaxx
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  determined1 Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:09 pm

Thanks for the report vmaxx.

I think I will give this a run as I have the Nenad lead already.

The only other question is I would think is, did you get lucky? Very Happy  I hope so.

Determined1

determined1
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  peterau Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:49 am

Hi All, Found the ducks nuts, a boosted speaker for my 2300 from coiltek Maryborough, its small, has clip on 9v battery and clips on to detector cover, wireless. Still need the nenad cable. just tuck any excess cable inside the cover. Used it yesterday don't notice any extra weight and it can be turned up or down as much as required. Heaps of volume. $89. All I need, love it

peterau
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2012-06-19

Back to top Go down

Post  hotrob Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:45 am

Peterau wrote:Hi All, Found the ducks nuts, a boosted speaker for my 2300 from coiltek Maryborough, its small, has clip on 9v battery and clips on to detector cover, wireless. Still need the nenad cable. just tuck any excess cable inside the cover. Used it yesterday don't notice any extra weight and it can be turned up or down as much as required. Heaps of volume. $89. All I need, love it
Thats the one I've bought Peter...... but I clip it to the harness next to my left (dominant) ear. Works well!
Rob.

hotrob
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2014-12-10

Back to top Go down

2300 speaker or phones Empty Coiltek Wireless Speaker

Post  Alwaysback Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:34 pm

Any Chance of a photo. I can't find anything on their website.
Cheers Guys
Doug sunny

Alwaysback
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2009-09-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:40 pm

[quote="peterau"]Hi All, Found the ducks nuts, a boosted speaker for my 2300 from coiltek Maryborough, its small, has clip on 9v battery and clips on to detector cover, wireless. Still need the nenad cable. just tuck any excess cable inside the cover. Used it yesterday don't notice any extra weight and it can be turned up or down as much as required. Heaps of volume. $89.  All I need, love it[/quo

I have one of these in my kit I'd had for my 4000, tried it and it works a treat so next time I'm out ( tomorrow) I will give it a go. Could be the ducks guts as you say. scratch

Back to top Go down