Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

detecting shoes

+4
Narrawa
GoldstalkerGPX
nero_design
wolfey
8 posters

Go down

detecting shoes Empty detecting shoes

Post  wolfey Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:29 pm

hello everyone, because of a recurring foot problem i cant wear my boots anymore and i wondered if anybody knew of a sneaker without metal in it i could buy to replace them.

regards chris

wolfey
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2008-10-28

Back to top Go down

detecting shoes Empty Re: detecting shoes

Post  nero_design Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:40 pm

I wear:
Sneakers: in dry conditions with Snake Gaiters on my lower legs in summer.
Gumboots: in damper conditions which act as a bit of a buffer for bitey things and dirt flung.

detecting shoes Medium
My driving sneakers Vs my detecting sneakers.

A number of prospectors here wear the 'Redback' brand boots. Perhaps they can chime in here...
Can anyone offer a suggestion or recommend their own choice of boots?
nero_design
nero_design
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2081
Registration date : 2008-11-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:25 pm

Hi Wolfey. there are 26 bones in the human foot and I've broken most of them including every toe on both feet. I have a very wide foot with an instep you can drive a london double decker under! So I can understand foot problems.

A few years ago I bought a pair of "Skarpa" hiking boots and thought I'd give them a try....and have never looked back!
I still wear the same pair!

Last winter while camped in the scrub for a week, I didn't take them off for 3 days straight, including sleeping in them at night. My socks snapped and fell apart though.

Just recently they soles started to seperate from 3 years of boot scraping, so out with the liquid nails and yep...good as new again!

Going by the wear since new and thier condition now, I'd be suprised if I don't get another 3 years out of them. I detect very regularly including atleast 2 long weekends a month and not uncommon to have them on atleast 18 hours a day.

A bit dearer than the redbacks and the like but my feet are worth it.

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldstalkerGPX Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:35 pm

Madtuna, These scarpa boots sound like a good thing!! is one of these the same as what you have?

Scarpa boots

I've been using hiking boots (outdoor expedition) for the last two years but they've just about had the richard, glued them up numerous times and for a similar price they've not done a very good job.

Cheers
GoldstalkerGPX
GoldstalkerGPX
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:58 pm

hi mate, very simillar to the Scarpa Men's ZG65 GTX Boot. http://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/shop/product_Scarpa-Men-s-ZG65-GTX-Boot_10090572_10208_10000001_-1_

With the top two rows being hooks, it's basically slip on and off, no undoing or losening a heap of lace to get on and off like regular lace up boots. A brilliant shoe I couldnt reccommend highly enough.

I think I paid about $200 for mine

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:57 am

wolfey wrote: i wondered if anybody knew of a sneaker

regards chris

G-day Chris, Im a bit of a sneaker as you know. detecting shoes Lol
Say hi to Glen for me when you see him next, and tell him to stay off my patches. detecting shoes Icon_lol
To help you in your shoe quest, try Jesus boots. detecting shoes Lol
See you soon. detecting shoes Icon_lol detecting shoes Icon_biggrin
Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1885
Registration date : 2008-10-22

http://australiangoldfields.freeforums.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Birdman Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:50 pm

i went with basketball shoes. The rocks do come through the soles and make them sore with throbbing by the end of the day.

I would go with zamberlan trekkers but do not because of the metal in the shoes affecxting detection.

So if you can find a zamberalan boot / bouldering trekker without metal lugs then this would be the ideal solution for me.

Kind Regards

Birdman. Very Happy
Birdman
Birdman
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2010-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Tributer Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:12 pm

I have had a couple detecting friends over the years with foot problems. My take on the issue is that if you detect long sessions on rocky ground (which is usually) then the rocks will briuse your feet and twist your bone joints if you wear sneakers. I feel that redbacks with the gel sole, with a couple wool liners or liners with an arch rise in them in each boot will give you the best foot/bone support and shock dampening while walking over rocks or on long detecting stints. Also there is more support then sneakers if you twist your ankle. I do know that getting them to fit just right can be a hassle sometimes. new redbacks do soften up well in a short time, becoming more comfortable. I have used a pick handle to stretch the top front out on a new pair or two to stop them pushing to hard on the top of my feet.

Other wise there are some great Hitec boot models that are comfy as and super lightweight. (super light boot weight can make a world of difference with some foot ailments). I think all Hitec models still have a couple rivets in them but the lace eyelets are plastic.

Tributer
Tributer
Tributer
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1006
Registration date : 2008-10-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Rtanweb Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:13 pm

Howdy all,
i use redbacks and had the same pair for well over three years. They get heavy use one-two days a week. Will probably replace soon though, as they are getting larger Smile. That is to say they have stretched an extra size. I also like Olivers brand, i think the leather is better. will probaably give them a go next. Although Tuna made a very good argument for his choice.

To new guys choosing shoes i would recommend Redback and Olivers with plastic not METAL toe cap. I regulary kick rocks which would break a toe easy, but the plastic cap protects well.

Aussie disposals is where i got my last pair.

Cheers,

Rtanweb
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 177
Registration date : 2009-10-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Coota Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:57 pm

When it comes to boots, I'm affraid that I look more for stability and safety than detector friendliness.....I wear Taipans (not the steel cap version) wherever I go and regardless of time of year. They have a reasonably high fit which helps in being snake proof and keep water out. The high ankle support is great in rough country and has saved me on more than one occasion. Great for filling in holes again too Wink They have metal eyelets and a metal reinforced instep, so do give you a signal on the odd occasion....but then, I've always managed to walk back to the car every time....so far Laughing

Can't tell you how much they are but they last me a good 3-4 years per pair and I do wear them at least 5 days per week. You can get the option of a lace in front zip as well, but that's just too much metal on the front of the boot for me.

Regards,

COOTA

Coota
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2010-11-05

Back to top Go down