Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cairns Newb

3 posters

Go down

Cairns Newb  Empty Cairns Newb

Post  dustypeculiar Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:09 pm

Ahoy .... just thought id introduce myself.
Im currently living in Kuranda and have had my Xterra 70 for a few years gathering dust in the shed.
Most recently i have gotten the bug to get out and find a nugget or two and this forum seems to be the place to help me with my gold finding.
Pretty keen to head out with some fellow detectorists in the area that possibly have a bit more knowledge and accsess to some possible prospecting areas in FNQ.
Ive done a fair bit of research and have gone out a few times on my own but only found rusty stuff so far.

Anyway ..... would be great to catch up with a few locals and go and get a bit of yellow ......... the liquid form is also almost as good Smile

Cheers

dustypeculiar
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2015-08-04

Back to top Go down

Cairns Newb  Empty Re: Cairns Newb

Post  peterinaust Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:24 pm

G'day dustypeculiar, welcome to the forum. I am from Cairns any long weekend I head out to Western Creek, but a long weekend is not really long enough.
Have been thinking of checking out Tyrconnell and Kingsborough for day trips, (have just gotta have a swing) every now and then. Do you know anything about these areas?

Have been detecting the beaches for years, but don't come away with much any more, to many other detectors about Haha.

Cheers Peter.

peterinaust
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 175
Registration date : 2012-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post  dustypeculiar Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:45 pm

Gday Peter

I have been out to Tyrconnell about 2 years ago ....... didnt find much to be honest ....... although it was interesting.
Havent checked out Kingsborough though.
Had a bit of a swing today around the local rivers here but it just doesnt seem to be the place ........ not much assess to the previously gold finding areas.
May just have to get friendly with a few land owners.
Also havent been to western creek ....... any luck out that way ?

Thinking of going camping around Chillagoe way this weekend ..... will see what turns up i spose.

dustypeculiar
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  XIV Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:24 am

Tyrconnell was sold last month, and is now off limits to prospecting, and most of the area is under management from mt, mulligan.
Kingsborough is still ok tho, and camping there is $5 per night.
we have a monthly meet up for coffee at the miners den, on the first Saturday of each month, at 9am
we normally talk crap for about 2-3 hrs, but it's good to catch up with some like minded people,
we also organize a few trips away each year,
July we went out to Kingsborough for the weekend, it was a fantastic night in front of the fire, with a few beverages, and once again talking about nothing 'N" gold
Septembers meet will be at the miners den, and Octobers meet is the long weekend, and will be organizing for somewhere to go.
would love to get up the Palmer for this, but that's not up to me, its up to a group thing,
anyway would be great if you can make the next meet.
Cheers Kane
XIV
XIV
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 122
Registration date : 2012-10-20

Back to top Go down

Post  dustypeculiar Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:46 pm

Sounds good.
Im totally up for a mission out to the fields ......... will try and get down to the miners den next month.

dustypeculiar
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  peterinaust Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:32 pm

Thanks Kane, I have always been going to come along to the Miners Den meet ups, I stick to myself a bit but would like to meet like minded people. Next month I'll be there. Cheers

peterinaust
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 175
Registration date : 2012-01-21

Back to top Go down