Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Just joined forum --- They call me a Newbie but I'm not I'm an Oldbie.

2 posters

Go down

Just joined forum --- They call me a Newbie but I'm not I'm an Oldbie. Empty Just joined forum --- They call me a Newbie but I'm not I'm an Oldbie.

Post  DooDar Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:49 pm

Just bought a new Gold Bug Pro.
First day out in a dry lake bed heaps of junk and $3.70
Second day in same place more junk and 20 cents.
Third day out in another dry lake bed 30 cents and you guest it more junk.
I had a Garrett deep seeker I think it was called, about 30 years ago, the Gold Bug is easy to learn and use compared to the detectors made last century.
Hoping to get down to Inglewood for a week soon and try my luck, been dam COLD down there though.

Please don't hate me "BUT" I just can't help it. This Fisher detectors page is like the Greek economy.

First post March 2011 latest post this one July 1015 = 12 posts over 4 years = 3 posts per year = not much interest here.

What has gone wrong?
Have we been slack?
Have we been lazy?
Have we been hibernating?
May be we all should try harder.

Yes I know what you are all thinking Bloody Newbie (maybe not cause no one will ever read this post)

I get bloody sick and tired of hearing about Mine-lab this and Mine-lab that, all the time, lets here it for the Fisher cheers Fisher cheers Fisher cheers Bloody good detectors ya know.

Well that's it from me for the time being I think I have said enough happy hunting
Thanks for listening. Regards, DooDar.

PS. It maybe that my sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others who knows.
DooDar
DooDar
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2015-07-25

Back to top Go down

Just joined forum --- They call me a Newbie but I'm not I'm an Oldbie. Empty Re: Just joined forum --- They call me a Newbie but I'm not I'm an Oldbie.

Post  adrian ss Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:14 pm

Welcome to the forum sport.
Yeah you are right about the Fisher posts. Funny really because Fisher make some seriously good metal detectors.
I had been fiddling with a standard model digital Gold bug (before it was stolen)for beach detecting and it was fine in the GB All metal mode all the way into the water but the Disc mode could not handle the salt and was near enough useless. So anybody using the Bug on the beach, stick to the Ground grab All metal mode.
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 4351
Registration date : 2015-07-03

Back to top Go down

Just joined forum --- They call me a Newbie but I'm not I'm an Oldbie. Empty Re: Just joined forum --- They call me a Newbie but I'm not I'm an Oldbie.

Post  DooDar Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:10 pm

Thanks adrain --- I thought I was never going to get a reply, there has now been 100 visits to my post and you are the only one to reply that = I% still better than no % I spose.
Theivin bastards, you got to nail everything down these days.

To ground balance the Gold Bug Pro in discrimination mode.
First you perform the ground balance procedure in all metal mode.
When you go to discrimination mode the ground balance setting will carry over into this mode.
I have not tried this on the beach but I have had it in wet and dry sand on lakes using discrimination mode and it works really good.
I would say the one you had would have done the same, because I think the only difference between yours and mine is that The GBP has manual ground balance as well as the factory set ground balance.

They are great easy to use machines, I worked it all out in 3 outings of about 2 hours each.
Not an expert yet but getting there fast.

Until next time thanks again ---- DooDar.
DooDar
DooDar
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:50 am

The GB on my Bug most definitely did not carry over to the disc mode. The All Met mode worked so well  that I did not need the disc mode.
Some parts of the forum are quiet. When this happens I will occasionally put a random or specific  metal detector post in the general discussion sections just to see if there is any interest. No response there is a good indication that a particular topic is dead in the water.
   I have lately been posting in regards to the Xterra 705 but have had very few responses. I purchased it as a replacement for my stolen Gold bug (price was right) It is a strange kettle of fish and not very user friendly but I am getting used to it and it may be an OK detector once I have it figured out. I think most of the problems I am having with this tecta are being caused by finger trouble rather than poor performance of the detector.
I still have my old Fisher 553D from waaaaay back. This detector found a truck load of pre decimal coins and it is still working perfectly.
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  DooDar Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:18 pm

I looked at the Xterra before I bought the GBP and am very happy with my choice, to many buttons on the Xterra for me I like to keep it simple just like me.

Your old Fisher 553D is about the same vintage as the Garrett I used to have years ago I sold it for $600.00 after using it for about a year or so, (to busy doing other things in those days) I would be lucky to get $80.00 for it now ----------- Are you mainly into coins?

I have been mucking about in dry lake and wet lake beds learning how to use my GBP, before I go for gold.
I want to have a go at the gold but tis bloody cold down there at the moment, I live about an hour and a half north of Inglewood which is at the top of the golden triangle.

If the weather doesn't improve down there soon I am going to an old ghost town not far from me, all that is left is a sign to say it was once there and a few bricks scattered around, could be interesting, I haven't been there for about 7 years if sign has gone. might take a bit of finding.

Happy hunting --- DooDar.
DooDar
DooDar
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:08 pm

I spent about 15 years doing the gold fields of Victoria (Sluicing and metal detecting) but now I am 100% coins relic and jewellery hunting and the past 7 years have been beach detecting.
I use a Sov, Infinium and Sand Shark at the beach and hopefully the 705 will prove to be OK for the beach. If it isn't then it will be up on Ebay. I have an XLT that works quite well over salt beaches

16/10/2015

Yeah my 705 wasn't in the race for beach work compared to my Inf, Sand Shark & Sov and so it has a new owner who is happy with it.
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down