Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

+13
bundy06
slimpickens
rc62burke
Jonathan Porter
alchemist
yellowfin
Martin R
1anSDC
goldstrijk
hoolahoopa
Redfin
kon61
GoldHound
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx - Page 2 Empty Re: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Post  slimpickens Sat May 30, 2015 11:26 pm

Hope this Ferrite accessory helps eliminate false signals. I had a target today that got louder the deeper I dug. At about 15 inches the signal was still there, but wasn't getting any better. I finally expanded the hole to get the coil onto the slate floor, but the signal was weak moving the coil sideways. The walls of the hole were solid clay after about 8". The signal was only loud while putting the coil into the hole or taking it out of the hole. I tried every setting I could think of, but couldn't get rid of the signal. scratch
slimpickens
slimpickens
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 3675
Registration date : 2010-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post  yellowfin Sun May 31, 2015 2:34 am

davsgold wrote:yellowfin, I don't think your replies are of any use, if you have something helpful and constructive to add then do so otherwise I think it best to say nothing.

ADMIN  

Hi davsgold,

My reply Sat May 30, 2015 9:34 pm was my opinion on training, quite constructive and relevant.
My second reply Sat May 30, 2015 9:42 pm was in response to Dale saying he has some ferrite in his kit already.
Minelab state in their white paper
" It is recommended to use this specific Minelab accessory,
only. Alternate ferrites may significantly degrade ground balance
quality
"
Helpful and constructive, I think so.

yellowfin
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2014-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post  alchemist Sun May 31, 2015 6:26 am

slimpickens wrote:Hope this Ferrite accessory helps eliminate false signals. I had a target today that got louder the deeper I dug, but couldn't get rid of the signal. scratch

Hi Harry, I've had a couple of those. I doubt the torroid will help as I believe the problem is the salt content of the clay. Many paleosols and kaolin clays are rich in sodium salts which are quite conductive if the basement is shallow and damp.

I think you've had a bit of rain in the triangle of late? Maybe once the ground drys the falsies will disappear too!

One clay spot the Z hated had so much salt in it the animals were eating it! Teeth marks everywhere, one big salt lick.

My take on the torroid is.....if you ground balance in the standard way and then bob the coil and still get noise with each bob, you need to include the ferrite. It appears that the GB would eventually get there without it The ferrite is a short cut, to prevent you losing a bit during the fine tune stage where you would experience a bit of ground noise for a few minutes.

Confused......?.....I think I am.

Cheers.
alchemist
alchemist
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 525
Registration date : 2009-01-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan Porter Sun May 31, 2015 6:50 am

alchemist wrote: My take on the torroid is.....if you ground balance in the standard way and then bob the coil and still get noise with each bob, you need to include the ferrite. It appears that the GB would eventually get there without it The ferrite is a short cut, to prevent you losing a bit during the fine tune stage where you would experience a bit of ground noise for a few minutes.

Confused......?.....I think I am.

Cheers.

After the walk and sweep it is quite normal to have a little residual signal directly under the coil, if the auto GB does not get rid of it then I suggest you lift the coil a bit higher as it is probably saturation signal you are hearing which will not ground balance out. Loud saturation signals will upset the "Dust Iron" Ferrite part of the Balance, so either use the Ferrite often or fix the GB to avoid upsetting the GB.

JP
Jonathan Porter
Jonathan Porter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 801
Registration date : 2008-11-25

http://www.theoutbackprospector.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post  rc62burke Sun May 31, 2015 6:39 pm

rc62burke wrote:Hi JP
Mate I had a read of the article & it sounds feasible (I have not heard of this before) I may have missed something, but I did not see any explanation as to when or why you may choose to use this method, do you mind elaborating on this for us???

Hi JP
Mate just bringing my question to this page as it may have been missed?

I understand the process, But am looking for information as to why & when one would make the decision to use this method??? I think you are the best person to provide that info! other than Mr Candy.
rc62burke
rc62burke
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2083
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Back to top Go down

Post  slimpickens Sun May 31, 2015 7:39 pm

alchemist wrote:  
I think you've had a bit of rain in the triangle of late? Maybe once the ground drys the falsies will disappear too!

Cheers.

Hope so Alchemist, because digging deep holes for nothing (not even junk), really upsets my day! One thing I didn't do was put the detector in fixed GB over the hole. Maybe it would have made a difference.
slimpickens
slimpickens
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 3675
Registration date : 2010-08-04

Back to top Go down

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx - Page 2 Empty Re New Ground Balance With Ferrite For GPZ7000

Post  bundy06 Sun May 31, 2015 10:47 pm

Good Evening Dale
I take offence at your remarks made in thread #211623. I am not an INCOMPETENT operator because I give "FLAK" to Minelab.
The reason I give "FLAK" is the lack of information that is easier for us RETARDS to understand.I have been using this machine
for 4 weeks and I am sorry if you think I should be COMPETENT in this time but I am trying to get my head around a completely new machine
that is falsing on just about everything it gets near to and I have been told that the computer gets confused I can even understand there is a fault with it and I am still waiting for the help that was offered from the powers that be, I use my machines for approximately 3 months a year and am quite happy with my intellectual capacity to handle simple tasks like turning the machine on and off.I also seem to find some gold as well,what a bonus for me eh? Its Pompous Asses like you that stop people like me from asking for help because we feel as if we might not be able to understand words bigger that one syllable.
Regards Dave C study study study confused confused
bundy06
bundy06
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan Porter Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:54 am

bundy06 wrote:Good Evening Dale
I take offence at your remarks made in thread #211623. I am not an INCOMPETENT operator because I give "FLAK" to Minelab.
The reason I give "FLAK" is the lack of information that is easier for us RETARDS to understand.I have been using this machine
for 4 weeks and I am sorry if you think I should be COMPETENT in this time but I am trying to get my head around a completely new machine
that is falsing on just about everything it gets near to and I have been told that the computer gets confused I can even understand there is a fault with it and I am still waiting for the help that was offered from the powers that be, I use my machines for approximately 3 months a year and am quite happy with my intellectual capacity to handle simple tasks like turning the machine on and off.I also seem to find some gold as well,what a bonus for me eh? Its Pompous Asses like you that stop people like me from asking for help because we feel as if we might not be able to understand words bigger that one syllable.
Regards Dave C study study study confused confused        

Dave give me a buzz on 0427 394 651 to see if I can help.

JP

Last edited by Jonathan Porter on Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:56 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typos)
Jonathan Porter
Jonathan Porter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  petere Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:13 pm

I had a couple of those when I was a kid, don't know about their ground balancing ability but the little buggers could give you a nasty bite if you weren't careful. Take care people. lol!
petere
petere
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2013-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post  chris68 Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:07 pm

Well done JP for offering to help Dave.

chris68
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 160
Registration date : 2013-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan Porter Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:36 am

More info on the "Dust Iron Ferrite" GB method of ground balancing the GPZ 7000.

"Dust Iron Ferrite" GB aid, Minelab Treasure Talk Article

JP
Jonathan Porter
Jonathan Porter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  pablop Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:06 am

Jonathan Porter wrote:More info on the "Dust Iron Ferrite" GB method of ground balancing the GPZ 7000.

"Dust Iron Ferrite" GB aid, Minelab Treasure Talk Article

JP

Thanks JP, looks like I will be leaving my User button as is, to switch to manual GB, but maybe using it more than I have on the last couple of outings.
pablop
pablop
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2015-01-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Doofus Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:36 pm

petere wrote:I had a couple of those when I was a kid, don't know about their ground balancing ability but the little buggers could give you a nasty bite if you weren't careful. Take care people. lol!

That's funny  Razz

Yep, ya gotta watch out for them ferrites, especially if one goes up the leg of ya trousers    lol!

Doofus
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2015-03-08

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2