Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Issues I've noticed with my GPZ 7000

+7
Aurumick
pablop
IGotBigNuggets
Fevaurish
Smokeyj
Redfin
sluice box
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Issues I've noticed with my GPZ 7000 Empty Issues I've noticed with my GPZ 7000

Post  IGotBigNuggets Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:31 am

I noticed the other day that my 7000 already has a loose clasp on the lower part which causes the lower part of shaft to get slightly out of alignment with the handle/screen.

You can't tighten it any further.

Another thing I noticed is scraping the coil on the ground with the 7000, even going over leaf matter causes some instability in the threshold, almost like a target signal.

Raking the area the falsing goes away. Small sticks and the occasional branch also causes this. Touch the coil and nothing, silence. Run it over the ground with obstacles and it is unstable.

Not happy.

Noticed on another post in the 2300 section Aussiedigger has similar problems with clasps on his SDC. Just worse.

IGotBigNuggets
IGotBigNuggets
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 127
Registration date : 2013-01-28

Back to top Go down

Issues I've noticed with my GPZ 7000 Empty Re: Issues I've noticed with my GPZ 7000

Post  sluice box Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:49 am

hi  igotbignuggets

I don't own a 7000 but yours would be under warranty maybe your coil has a fault ? maybe you should take it back ? there should
be plenty of other 7000 owners on the forum that could comment on this
maybe others have had similar problems ?????

cheers good luck

sluice box
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2015-03-27

Back to top Go down

Issues I've noticed with my GPZ 7000 Empty Re: Issues I've noticed with my GPZ 7000

Post  Redfin Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:37 am

The lower shaft and coil does rotate.
I rotate it 90 degrees everytime I pack it away.
Just loosen the clasp, line up and tighten again.

or are you saying there is movement when it is tight?
EDIT - just checked mine and yes, it can be moved when the clasp is fixed, but it takes some considerable force
and would not recommend it.

I certainly haven't had and 'falsing' as such, but then again I have been conservative
in the settings I use, I haven't 'cranked' it up as yet.
Redfin
Redfin
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 679
Registration date : 2013-02-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Smokeyj Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:48 pm

Iv got the same issue with the shaft mate and a few more issues with the 7000... will keep them to my self at this point but will be sending it back tomorrow .

Smokeyj
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2014-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post  IGotBigNuggets Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:46 pm

Yep... sorry to hear.

The clasp is as tight as it will go and it still 'wobbles' or moves.

As far as the falsing goes... it does it less on default settings but prominent when no audio smoothing selected and sensitivity 10 or 11+,

makes it hard to detect without going nuts.

Although I already think I'm nuts for buying it... Issues I've noticed with my GPZ 7000 Crazy

Might be time to down grade I think.

IGotBigNuggets
IGotBigNuggets
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:50 pm

G'day IGBN,

I have found when swinging over uneven ground I notice some slight falseing and the same when going over sticks amongst the leaf litter. Also I have noticed the bottom stem which the coil is attached to becomes slightly loose especially on the warmer days, but doesn't cause any major issues.

G'day Smokeyj,

I hope that ML sort out your problems and look forward to hearing how it goes for you.

G'day Redfin,

Yes mine when it is cool takes a bit of pressure to get it to move, but as I said when it is warm it moves a bit more easily.

Cheers.

Mike.

Back to top Go down

Issues I've noticed with my GPZ 7000 Empty Issues I've noticed with my GPZ 7000

Post  Fevaurish Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:02 pm

Hi I Got Bignuggs,
I've the same problems your having with leaf litter noise to the point I can't run the machine in General/Difficult as its Too noisy to pick the difference between the leaf litter and a deep target. It runs OK in High Yield/Difficult but It would be good to use General/Difficult for hotter ground and to avoid digging up sooo many shotgun pellets. We aren't the only ones experiencing this issue as a few other Z owners have mentioned it to me!

Cheers

Chris

Fevaurish
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2012-06-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:04 pm

Are any of you using some sort of booster?

By what I have been reading between the lines...
It seems to me that if. You run a booster, you can then turn the theshold, volume and sensitivity down on the gpz7000.
Then it runs smoother,
but can still have the sound turned right up on the booster.

Thoughts anyone?

Edit
To add this link for members thoughts
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ACOUSTIC-GUITAR-AMP-MINI-AMP-PRACTICE-FOR-GUITAR-UKULELE-FREE-SHIPPING-TO-AU-/281316292255

Back to top Go down

Post  IGotBigNuggets Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:52 am

Jen58 wrote:Are any of you using some sort of booster?

It seems to me that if. You run a booster, you can then turn the theshold, volume and sensitivity down on the gpz7000.
Then it runs smoother,

Thoughts anyone?

Edit
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ACOUSTIC-GUITAR-AMP-MINI-AMP-PRACTICE-FOR-GUITAR-UKULELE-FREE-SHIPPING-TO-AU-/281316292255

No booster here Jen.

In all honesty this is an issue ML may need to explore further.
IGotBigNuggets
IGotBigNuggets
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  IGotBigNuggets Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:57 am

Fevaurish wrote:Hi I Got Bignuggs,
I've the same problems your having with leaf litter noise to the point I can't run the machine in General/Difficult as its Too noisy to pick the difference between the leaf litter and a deep target. It runs OK in High Yield/Difficult but It would be good to use General/Difficult for hotter ground and to avoid digging up sooo many shotgun pellets. We aren't the only ones experiencing this issue as a few other Z owners have mentioned it to me!

Cheers

Chris

Thought as much Chris. Thanks for your reply. And you are right about the shotty pellets.
IGotBigNuggets
IGotBigNuggets
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  IGotBigNuggets Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:00 am

Mike54 wrote:G'day IGBN,

I have found when swinging over uneven ground I notice some slight falseing and the same when going over sticks amongst the leaf litter. Also I have noticed the bottom stem which the coil is attached to becomes slightly loose especially on the warmer days, but doesn't cause any major issues.

Cheers.

Mike.

Thanks Mike. This unit is a strange one that's for sure. Never had falsing like this on leaf litter and sticks unless the coil was touch sensitive, which this isn't, the Zed seems to be 'detecting' eddy currents in the surface junk the first sweep over. Hmmmm Issues I've noticed with my GPZ 7000 Upset
IGotBigNuggets
IGotBigNuggets
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:25 am

I have found with the 2hrs use so far of our new machine that it gives like a ghost signal over ground when you are on flat ground then pass coil over a depression or hole on ground surface. The depression only has to be a couple inches but it really pulls you up and says dig me.  Part of the learning curve. TG

Back to top Go down

Post  pablop Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:09 pm

travelergold wrote:I have found with the 2hrs use so far of our new machine that it gives like a ghost signal over ground when you are on flat ground then pass coil over a depression or hole on ground surface. The depression only has to be a couple inches but it really pulls you up and says dig me.  Part of the learning curve. TG

If I was sure that my Ground Balance was fine then I would be scraping an inch or 2 off to see if there was any change.  Could be something in the bottom of someones old hole that they missed. The only "false-ing" that I have noticed so far is chunks of carbon in the ground and a couple of very hot rocks.
pablop
pablop
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2015-01-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Aurumick Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:53 pm

They are a very sensitive machine, even a blade of grass will sound off, but if you knock the coil any way it's not touch sensitive, use to have this same thing happen with earlier P.I. machines when grass was damp, even with sticks and leaves. I'd would put it down to sensitivity of the machine.

Cheers Mick
Aurumick
Aurumick
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 351
Registration date : 2014-12-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Gold Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:50 am

When mine starts carrying on and gives off false signals, i just do a full reset and it seems to do the trick.
Jay Gold
Jay Gold
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 135
Registration date : 2015-03-02

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeIyXg5rKxtrVNJPEM7FAgw

Back to top Go down

Post  Fevaurish Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:42 am

[quote="JayMowgrass"]When mine starts carrying on and gives off false signals, i just do a full reset and it seems to do the trick
Hi Jay, I thought I had solved my problems with a full reset until I realised that the reset had defaulted the gold mode to high yield! As soon as I changed back to General gold mode the problem still existed. Sad
Cheers
Chris

Fevaurish
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Gold Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:15 pm

The only thing i can suggest is back off the sensitivity. I pulled an 8g nugget out from over a foot yesterday, and i did a little trial with sensitivity. I reduced it to 1 and it was still sounding like a good, positive, dig me, signal. This was in 'high yield' though. I recorded the entire dig and will post the vid on youtube when i get a chance.
Jay Gold
Jay Gold
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Pmgold Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:25 pm

another thing you can try is take off your skid plate and clean it out , with the new Minelab design of those little holes all the way around it ,it lets a lot more dust and dirt in and can cause "false-ing" . V11
Pmgold
Pmgold
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2015-04-03

Back to top Go down

Issues I've noticed with my GPZ 7000 Empty Issues I noticed with my Gpz 7000

Post  Fevaurish Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:16 pm

Jen58 wrote:Are any of you using some sort of booster?

Then it runs smoother,

Thoughts anyone?

Edit

Hi Jen,
I'm running Koss TD80'S direct to the detector  Which are quite loud Shocked My settings are pretty conservative and runs smooth until I pass over a target or if in General/Difficult mode run over leaf litter. As Mick suggests with the earlier Pi machines going off on wet grass etc. I believe that used to happen with the DD coils as they aged a bit. DD coils are a lot more difficult to make than Mono coils and with the GPZ having 3 windings in its coil. This is part of the problem!

Cheers
Chris

Fevaurish
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  IGotBigNuggets Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:49 pm

Pmgold wrote:another thing you can try is take off your skid plate and clean it out , with the new Minelab design of those little holes all the way around it ,it lets a lot more dust and dirt in and can cause "false-ing" . V11

I personally do this often. Still the same.
IGotBigNuggets
IGotBigNuggets
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Peteren Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:15 pm

What are your current settings iGotGigNuggets?

I had success with the 7 today just S/W of Maryborough (Vic) using the following

Gold, General
Ground, Difficult
Sensitivity 15 +/-2
High smoothing
Volume 14, no booster
Volume limit 10
Threshold, to suit you but quite low

Got lots of shotty pellets

plus 1x 0.4 g and 2 x 0.1 g of gold

Machine runs very quiet with these settings with minimal ground noises and minimal zing off twigs etc

Setting the Gold to high yield brought the shotty pellets up as well as the ground noises

Turning the smoothing down made it noisy with lots of coil impact zing which was only cured by turning the sensitivity down to 5 or lower

Testing on the second 0.1g bit, in ground, gave a much better signal with high sensitivity/high smoothing against low sensitivity no smoothing with the added benefit of a smoother machine

It appears that the machine likes lots of input to chew on and process for a smooth output
Peteren
Peteren
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2010-10-12

Back to top Go down

Post  IGotBigNuggets Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:10 pm

Hi Peteren,
My settings usually

Gold, General (high yield depending on ground)
Ground, Difficult
Sensitivity 10 to 11 (if necessary as low as 8 or 9)
No audio smoothing
Volume 12, Headphones
Volume limit 10
Threshold, to suit

regularly finding colour, best bit 23g at approximately 20" clear signal low/high
smallest bit will not register on my scales ( 1/4 of a match head?) and many bits in between.

in other words aside from the 23g piece, only fly sh!t... and HEAPS of lead shot.
IGotBigNuggets
IGotBigNuggets
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Peteren Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:54 pm

I found that configuration very "chattery" unless I turned the sensitivity right down to 5 or lower.

Give the low audio smoothing a go with those settings then go high smoothing and ramp up the sensitivity and see how it goes, it really does turn it into a different machine.

ps, my threshold for high smoothing is 30

Our last today, back home tomorrow and back to the real world (sigh), good luck on the gold
Peteren
Peteren
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Gold Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:07 pm

Peteren wrote:What are your current settings iGotGigNuggets?

I had success with the 7 today just S/W of Maryborough (Vic) using the following

Gold, General
Ground, Difficult
Sensitivity 15 +/-2
High smoothing
Volume 14, no booster
Volume limit 10
Threshold, to suit you but quite low

Got lots of shotty pellets

plus 1x 0.4 g and 2 x 0.1 g of gold

Machine runs very quiet with these settings with minimal ground noises and minimal zing off twigs etc

Setting the Gold to high yield brought the shotty pellets up as well as the ground noises

Turning the smoothing down made it noisy with lots of coil impact zing which was only cured by turning the sensitivity down to 5 or lower

Testing on the second 0.1g bit, in ground, gave a much better signal with high sensitivity/high smoothing against low sensitivity no smoothing with the added benefit of a smoother machine

It appears that the machine likes lots of input to chew on and process for a smooth output

Gday Peteren,

How did the above settings compare to 'high yield' with a lower sensitivity and auto soothing off?
Jay Gold
Jay Gold
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Peteren Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:39 pm

Without looking at the manual that would be pretty close to factory pre-set?

I did run high yield for the first week without smoothing and mid range sensitivity and found the machine far too noisy. Was also picking up a lot of ground noises which was annoying.

The high smoothing/high sensitivity/general mode is, rightly or wrongly, working for me

The question at this point may be

Do you reduce the input (low sens) and listen to the unprocessed output (no smoothing) or maximise the input and listen to the processed output (high smoothing)?

I'm finding the processed output easier to live with as it deals with the noise issues which started this thread.

Some views, other than mine, would be welcome.

ps, one thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is swing speed, I get into a groove and probably swing too fast, this may be why the settings work for me.
Peteren
Peteren
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  IGotBigNuggets Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:38 am

Peteren wrote:... back to the real world (sigh)...

Damn that 'real world' it always gets in the way Issues I've noticed with my GPZ 7000 Cutelaugh
IGotBigNuggets
IGotBigNuggets
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Gold Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:31 am

Peteren wrote:

Do you reduce the input (low sens) and listen to the unprocessed output (no smoothing) or maximise the input and listen to the processed output (high smoothing)?

Good point. Im going to give the latter a go. Makes sense when you thing about it. I guess it all depends on how good auto smoothing is NOT eliminating a real target signal.
Jay Gold
Jay Gold
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  kevlorraine2 Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:05 pm

hi peteren, and jaymowgrass,
i was trying to remember the amount of reduced performance you get out of the 7000 when useing the smoothing option.
then i remembered JP commenting in the above restiricted site under B&Z title -----

Re: Who runs a B&Z

Jonathan Porter on Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:10 am

The B&Z works very well with the GPZ and was used extensively throughout the development of the detector.

Settings I use with the GPZ and dual speaker B&Z plugged into the WM 12 are:

Threshold: 27
Volume: 10
Sensitivity: 8 to 12
Tone: 60
Audio Smoothing: OFF
Volume Limit: 10
Tracking: Auto
Gold Mode: High Yield or General
Ground Type: Difficult

Notes: You can increase the Volume to 12 but you will need to back off the Threshold (23 is good) and be prepared for more feedback from the detector, Professional users will definitely notice the improvement on deep slugs using this method but it can be overpowering. Be aware if you use Audio Smoothing on LOW or HIGH then you will need to adjust the Volume control to compensate for audio loudness loss, I STRONGLY recommend you stick to using Audio Smoothing in OFF and train your ear, I would rather lower the Sensitivity than back off on Audio Smoothing as there is a very large reduction in performance when applying Audio Smoothing.

The latest B&Z boosters have a unplug-able lead, we can also supply a curly lead for GPZ and SDC owners. I recommend users place the WM12 in their trouser pocket closest to the screen with the speaker facing in, this gives the best direct line of sight to the POD to prevent packet loss in the audio (drop outs).

Sorry if this sounds like a product placement but felt it was valid relative to the OP's question.

JP.

-------------
i will be giving these settings from jp a go,
i would prefer to have high sensitivity with no smoothing and get my ears used to it, rather than quieten down the machine with smoothing.

this new machine might have a lot less buttons to push, but with all of use starting from scratch,its going to be interesting to see what settings perform the best, cheers ... kev

kevlorraine2
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 504
Registration date : 2008-10-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Gold Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:57 pm

Gday Kev,

I believe those settings suggested by JP were for detecting with a B&Z booster. Dont quote me on that though.

Jordan.
Jay Gold
Jay Gold
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  kevlorraine2 Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:08 am

yes jaymowgrass, jp was definately talking about useing the B&Z speakers - but -

(extracted from his message) ---

Be aware if you use Audio Smoothing on LOW or HIGH then you will need to adjust the Volume control to compensate for audio loudness loss, I STRONGLY recommend you stick to using Audio Smoothing in OFF and train your ear, I would rather lower the Sensitivity than back off on Audio Smoothing as there is a very large reduction in performance when applying Audio Smoothing

---

two points - first he says useing smoothing lowers the volume you hear, so turn up the B&Z a bit more.
and then he mentions - there is a very large reduction in performance applying audio smoothing.

the second part is what i was getting at. i did some testing yesterday on useing smoothing, it definately gets rid of extra unwanted noises, but obviously at a reduction in performance, which i proved to myself.

i will not be useing smoothing, but rather lower the sensitivity or threshold, once i check other obvious settings like retune, ground balance, general/difficult, volume.

this new machine is certainly tickling the old grey matter ... kev

kevlorraine2
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 504
Registration date : 2008-10-23

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next