Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Basalt Hot Rocks

3 posters

Go down

Basalt Hot Rocks   Empty Basalt Hot Rocks

Post  Martin R Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:17 pm

Hi All

I have a question about Basalt hot rocks
A Mate and I headed out central west NSW the other day, lots of diggings but the amount of basalt rocks was unbelievable, they especially gave of good signal when the rocks were sitting in partial damp ground
We tried several settings none that seamed to work on the rocks , they gave of a real dig me signal with the Z

Question is has anyone come up with a setting/solution with the Z that can be used over these rocks or are we stuck with yep that could/couldnd be a piece of gold

Cheers Marty

Martin R
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 201
Registration date : 2008-10-29

Back to top Go down

Basalt Hot Rocks   Empty Re: Basalt Hot Rocks

Post  Tributer Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:35 pm

Hi Marty, I have done a lot of detecting among the Tertiary aged basalt of central west NSW. You cannot beat it with any Minelab gold detector. The SDC and GPZ all scream on basalt cobbles. They are full of iron and at a certain state of decay/oxidisation, they give off the most beautiful "I am gold dig me signals". You can't beat them with any settings, and I have tried.

I use a 4500 with a sadie coil to try get gold around/between them or simply search on any shallow ground with no basalt in the vicinity.

It is a hassle when the gold is coming out of deep leads covered in basalt and slopes below the old stream beds are strewn with basalt cobbles with nuggets in the mix.
Sorry I can't offer any more for you marty.
Tributer
Tributer
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1006
Registration date : 2008-10-27

Back to top Go down

Basalt Hot Rocks   Empty Re: Basalt Hot Rocks

Post  GoldHound Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:41 pm

Yea like tributer says the basalt hot rocks are a real pain.

I recon you could even detect them with deveining rods lol! they are that bad.
GoldHound
GoldHound
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 547
Registration date : 2014-01-06

Back to top Go down