Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Had a nice find today, but what to do with it.

+13
Mark
tharhills
HueyDuck
MS
kevlorraine2
llanbric
aushunter
deutran
buck06
GoldstalkerGPX
fastgold
goinbush
golddog
17 posters

Go down

Had a nice find today, but what to do with it. Empty Had a nice find today, but what to do with it.

Post  golddog Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:16 pm

Hi all, I was out in the bush today in-between the showers and found this nice specimen quartz and gold. The whole rock weighs 376 grams, just over 12 oz. Anyone out there have any ideas on what I should do with it . Dolly it up. or do a Specific Gravity Test and sell it as a specimen. What would you do? Any ideas much appreciated.Had a nice find today, but what to do with it. Dscn0516 Had a nice find today, but what to do with it. Dscn0515

Last edited by golddog on Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
golddog
golddog
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2008-12-29

Back to top Go down

Had a nice find today, but what to do with it. Empty Re: Had a nice find today, but what to do with it.

Post  goinbush Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:31 pm

NOTHING YET give yourself time to decide .DONT rush into it like i did put it away for awhile it will always be there so do whatever you decide down the track , check out my gallery photos have a look at the specie i crushed still regret it everytime i look at that pic cheers.. goinbush

goinbush
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2009-01-31

Back to top Go down

Had a nice find today, but what to do with it. Empty nice find

Post  fastgold Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:34 pm

depending on appearance it is probably worth more as specimen, but would be a pity to crush,regards ,mark

fastgold
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 147
Registration date : 2010-06-20

Back to top Go down

Had a nice find today, but what to do with it. Empty Re: Had a nice find today, but what to do with it.

Post  Guest Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:38 pm

You could put in the back of my ute?!! (it's not going anywhere.... Had a nice find today, but what to do with it. Lol )

the photo just came through... that is absolutely beautiful! congrats!!

If you need the money, sell it as a speci i would say.
Otherwise you can keep it as your precious beauty.Had a nice find today, but what to do with it. Icon_wink

Is there somewhere you can get an "official certified" specific gravity test? Would sell well with one i think?

or there is always the offer of the back of my ute.... Had a nice find today, but what to do with it. Fresse

Last edited by ferrousfinder on Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Had a nice find today, but what to do with it. Empty nice find

Post  fastgold Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:42 pm

Is it awhite ute Had a nice find today, but what to do with it. Icon_biggrin . Sorry I couldn't help myself,mark

fastgold
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 147
Registration date : 2010-06-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:50 pm

off thread but yes it is a white ute Had a nice find today, but what to do with it. Icon_scratch , should it be red?
whats the go with white utes?
Thought i better get a white ute otherwise i would stand out !

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldstalkerGPX Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:57 pm

I wouldn't dolly that up! Looks better like it is rather than a heap of small pieces IMHO
GoldstalkerGPX
GoldstalkerGPX
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:02 pm

that's a do not smoosh speimen if I've ever seen one...congrats!

Back to top Go down

Post  buck06 Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:29 pm

cool speciman way to good to smash up Had a nice find today, but what to do with it. Affraid keep it clean it and it might grow Had a nice find today, but what to do with it. Icon_cheers cheers buck
buck06
buck06
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 168
Registration date : 2009-01-14

Back to top Go down

Post  deutran Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:40 pm

Better put it back where ya found it, Had a nice find today, but what to do with it. Icon_eek until your certain what to do with it.Well done mate,that will fetch a tidy sum.
deutran
deutran
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2009-09-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:49 pm

Very nice specimen - Do not crush Had a nice find today, but what to do with it. Icon_cool

Back to top Go down

Post  aushunter Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:21 pm

Oh yeah,
That is one nice little chunk, DO NOT CRUSH Had a nice find today, but what to do with it. Affraid .
OBW I have a white ute too Had a nice find today, but what to do with it. Icon_rolleyes Had a nice find today, but what to do with it. Lol
Now go back and get it's mate
Cheers and HH
Brad.. Had a nice find today, but what to do with it. Icon_rr
aushunter
aushunter
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2010-03-05

Back to top Go down

Post  llanbric Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:25 pm

A beautiful example Goldog, Unless you're desperate for the cash let it live with you for a while, look at it every day and feel the magic.

llanbric
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 414
Registration date : 2008-11-17

Back to top Go down

Had a nice find today, but what to do with it. Empty Thanks for that...

Post  golddog Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:29 pm

We did a specific gravity test on it and we have just over 7 ounces of gold in it.

Had a nice find today, but what to do with it. Dscn0510
golddog
golddog
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2008-12-29

Back to top Go down

Post  kevlorraine2 Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:49 pm

GOLDDOG - topgold - topnugget. what a ripper, keep it as it is and just drooool over it ... kev

kevlorraine2
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 504
Registration date : 2008-10-23

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldstalkerGPX Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:53 pm

Nice effort, bet you still can't get that smile off your face.
GoldstalkerGPX
GoldstalkerGPX
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post  MS Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:54 pm

Well done golddog
I agree don't crush , it's a fine specimen.
Whats the story behind the find Had a nice find today, but what to do with it. Icon_question
Cheers Mark
MS
MS
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 791
Registration date : 2009-03-17

Back to top Go down

Post  HueyDuck Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:41 pm

Golddog....A very very nice effort, its a cracker....congrats....

HueyDuck.....
HueyDuck
HueyDuck
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2010-04-19

Back to top Go down

Post  tharhills Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:29 am

what a great find, congrats golddog.

tharhills
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Had a nice find today, but what to do with it. Empty Keep it

Post  Mark Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:04 am

Hi Golddog,
What a beauty, My advice would be to NOT break it up. You would only get "scrap" gold price for the gold you recovered and a beautiful speci would be lost forever, its a lose lose situation. I feel sure you would get a premiun on gold price it you did decided to sell it as a speci.
Cheers Mark.
Mark
Mark
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2008-11-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:17 am

Gday Golddog

Keep it the way it is, some species are really ugly and unappealing and wont fetch anywhere near gold content price let alone a premium price from a specimen collector, but that is an interesting piece and is showing quite a bit of gold, and very collectable.

When you have a specie that has a high gold content but is showing very little on the surface then you have no choice but to either smash it up or put it in acid, your piece could possibly come out of acid as a reasonably solid lump, but you will definately lose some of it to just being fragments, how much is hard to tell.

Anyway nice find, and I would be definately going back to that spot to see if its big brother is still there.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Post  garretace150 Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:29 pm

Very nice!!! keep it for show and tell when friends come over!!!

garretace150
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 86
Registration date : 2009-10-25

Back to top Go down

Had a nice find today, but what to do with it. Empty GREAT SPECIMEN

Post  redback Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:56 pm

Beautiful Specimen Mate !!
Where did you say you found it!!! LOL
Cheers Doug Had a nice find today, but what to do with it. Icon_lol
redback
redback
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2008-11-29

Back to top Go down

Post  Qld Sandy Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:04 pm

I'd say do what you want with it, and if that means keeping it then so be it.

I don't see why you need to be scared about donging specimens. I've never found a buyer for them any way that wanted to pay a decent amount, so I dolly most I get. Even the one below that had around 5 ounces of gold and was partially crystalline got a turn in the dolly pot. It's only gold after all. Cheers.

Had a nice find today, but what to do with it. 000_1228Had a nice find today, but what to do with it. 000_1229
Qld Sandy
Qld Sandy
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 673
Registration date : 2008-10-18

https://www.goldcitydetecting.com

Back to top Go down

Post  chopppacalamari Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:52 pm

Well Done mate what a ripper!! Write a story about it and send it to GG&T.
chopppacalamari
chopppacalamari
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 660
Registration date : 2008-12-13

Back to top Go down