Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gold in Biotite ( a form of mica ) NOW WITH PHOTO'S

+5
mullockgrubber
Cal
Digginerup
Nohave
Ash100456
9 posters

Go down

Gold in Biotite ( a form of mica ) NOW WITH PHOTO'S Empty Gold in Biotite ( a form of mica ) NOW WITH PHOTO'S

Post  Ash100456 Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:12 pm

G'day to all on the forum, A question for you, Have any members found gold in biotite ( a form of mica ), or seen it or heard of it occuring. I am referring to pure Biotite and not rocks that have a small amount of biotite in them as part of their composition. All replies gratefully received.
Cheers
Ashley

Last edited by Ash100456 on Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Ash100456
Ash100456
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 893
Registration date : 2009-11-05

Back to top Go down

Gold in Biotite ( a form of mica ) NOW WITH PHOTO'S Empty Re: Gold in Biotite ( a form of mica ) NOW WITH PHOTO'S

Post  Guest Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:00 am

I wouldn't call it a direct indicator because gold is often found where there is no biotite but by the same token if there is reef gold in the area then where biotite cuts across the reefs you may often find gold Question

Back to top Go down

Gold in Biotite ( a form of mica ) NOW WITH PHOTO'S Empty Re: Gold in Biotite ( a form of mica ) NOW WITH PHOTO'S

Post  Nohave Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:36 pm

I found gold with biotite nearby probably something like Adrian ss said.

It was a small stream ( dry in hot season ) where old timers found heaps of gold.
Biotite on leftside and quartz on the other side.
Nohave
Nohave
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 138
Registration date : 2011-07-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Ash100456 Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:06 am

Thanks for the replies guys, I asked as i am lucky enough to have detected a small tin that was buried under the larger tree roots that was full of Biotite that has gold all through it . When my pick went through this rusty ol tin i cursed, On scooping the rusted tin & dirt up out of the hole i noticed this trail of gold through the dirt. Had to bucket up all the dirt and sort through it to retrieve the gold laden biotite. The largest piece weighs in at 40 grams and its full of long stringy gold. I will post up photos as soon as i can when i am finished sorting the material. A very interesting find & i can only wonder at the story behind this little treasure cache.
Cheers
Ashley
Ash100456
Ash100456
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:02 am

Pity about the pick but it will be interesting to see the photo.s.
Now all you have to do is find out where the biotite came from Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Ash100456 Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:43 am

Gold in Biotite ( a form of mica ) NOW WITH PHOTO'S TinLidRemnantsGold in Biotite ( a form of mica ) NOW WITH PHOTO'S TinHoardeGold in Biotite ( a form of mica ) NOW WITH PHOTO'S TinHoardeCentrepiece
Sorry for the delay but finally got these pics posted, Photo 1 is of the larger remnants of the tin, only the lid was pretty much intact, Photo 2 is of the gold & gold in Biotite that was in the tin, Photo 3 is of the centre-piece of my tin hoarde find, approx 5cm long & 2.5cm round in a cone shape, weighs in at 41.1g. I have more biotit with gold in it & so far another 3.3g of flake gold from the buckets of dirt i am sorting through. to date i have just over 64g of gold & still counting the fines. I found a group of mines in the area that have Biotite in them so can only guess it came from one of them. Why the tin was left where it was for me to find i can only speculate !

P.S. if a mod reads this could you please move this story over to the finds

Cheers
Ashley
Ash100456
Ash100456
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:42 am

very nice find there ash,

never seen gold in this form before so thanks very much for sharing.

UB

Back to top Go down

Gold in Biotite ( a form of mica ) NOW WITH PHOTO'S Empty nice find!

Post  Digginerup Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:03 pm

Hi folks, Hi Ashley, Cool an old buried tin of gold in beautifull biotite specimen!!! are you kidding me? Exclamation how good is that ? !!!!, that's a real bonus for any treasure hunter/ gatherer/ scrounger, talk about two birds with one stone!! I would be ecstatic!!! sunny probobly need sedation!! What a Face any chance of some more macro shots of the detail in them, thanks for sharing this.
Regards
Wayne. cheers
Digginerup
Digginerup
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2399
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Ash100456 Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:42 am

Thanks for the replies, Figured it had to be a rarity to see gold in this form, I will be keeping it the way it is, Cant clean it anymore than i have as it can come apart quite easily, Yes i was ecstatic with the find, Still pinching myself for such a lucky find. I will try for some more photo's on macro.
Cheers
Ashley
Ash100456
Ash100456
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Cal Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:38 am

Wow Shocked Thanks immensely for sharing, you must be absolutely stoked. I like your thinking in not cleaning, for such a rarity it would almost be criminal to alter from its natural state. The closest I've seen is gold and tourmaline specimens from the Halls Creek area - flattish nuggets smeared with bottle green/black tourmaline.

Cheers Cal
Cal
Cal
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 210
Registration date : 2008-10-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Digginerup Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:42 pm

Tourmaline and gold!!! Very Happy Drool! Drool! does it get any better?
Regards
Wayne. cheers
Digginerup
Digginerup
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2399
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Back to top Go down

Post  mullockgrubber Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:14 pm

What a rare find, I would be over the moon. As has been said before, always check those old tins and guess we could speculate forever as to whom put it there and why.

Thanks for time taken with the photos Ash.
mullockgrubber
mullockgrubber
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 621
Registration date : 2011-11-01

Back to top Go down

Gold in Biotite ( a form of mica ) NOW WITH PHOTO'S Empty Biotite with Gold

Post  ttrash Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:47 pm

Ash - very awesome find mate
Beats swinging the Sov. Down the beach I reckon , maybe just

Very well done
ttrash
ttrash
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 662
Registration date : 2011-11-20

Back to top Go down

Post  rc62burke Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:40 pm

Hey Ash
That is an absolutly awesome find there mate, looks like the deposit from which it came looks like it was quite rich, I would be doing alot more research as to where it may have come from, if you know the general area the pan may help you out.
NICE
Lee
rc62burke
rc62burke
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2083
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Ren Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:08 pm

That is awesome Ashley Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy You found the holy grail mate well done! No one will ever know what's behind the story of this little stash Suspect

Ren...
Ren
Ren
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 951
Registration date : 2012-01-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Tributer Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:29 am

Hi Ashley. Great find and unusual gold. I have seen some gold that was kinked and layered in rock like you have. The host rock was schist, which is very layered with kinks and zig zag folds. Weathered Schist contains a lot of mica in many cases is a little soapy and smooth when you rub it. Your gold could be in weathered schist.

Tributer
Tributer
Tributer
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1006
Registration date : 2008-10-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Ash100456 Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:43 pm

Thanks all for the replies, ttrash you are correct, sure beats the beach with finds like this, Lee I have pretty much found the mines that it's most likely come from, Had to use the pan for the fines. Tributer yes the biotite is soapy/slippery to feel, The cone shape piece as pictured seems to have some other rock/dirt as the host rather than the biotite laced gold pieces in the collection pic, maybe as you have suggested, Schist., Intriguing !
Cheers
Ashley
Ash100456
Ash100456
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Ash100456 Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:23 am

On further enquiry i have loosely narrowed down the Tin Hoarde Find time frame, The Caley's Sweets tin it was found in is from the 1930's, Anyone know a tin collector who might be able to shed some more light on it ?
Cheers
Ashley
Ash100456
Ash100456
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down