Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Deep gold versus shallow gold

2 posters

Go down

Deep gold versus shallow gold Empty Deep gold versus shallow gold

Post  kevwr Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:28 pm

I have been detecting for about 12 months now and have had great success detecting sub gram nuggets in shallow ground. I often look further down the slope at the deeper ground but have no experience detecting there.

Can someone with deeper ground experience give me some tips on what to listen for... do deep targets sound similar to smaller shallow ones or are they more subtle? Do you need to swing very slow and really overlap your swings as the target area on the coil must be a lot smaller at depth. Any advice appreciated Smile

Also, how deep is deep.. realistically is it still worth swinging over ground more than 2 feet deep as all other than the biggest nuggets would be out of range.

Has anyone tried the deep setting on the GPZ?

kevwr
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2014-04-29

Back to top Go down

Deep gold versus shallow gold Empty Re: Deep gold versus shallow gold

Post  Canned Heat Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:59 pm

Hi mate, im guessing maybe you have a GPZ? I haven't found any "big" bits with my 7 but from testing it out it seems similar to the GPX somewhat. With my 5000 I found various responses to be honest. Sometimes all I heard was what actually sounded like a small bit not far from the surface, a faint blip but upon digging down I realised it was much deeper, well over a foot. Sometimes its just a low dropping signal, pull down sound. Also can be just like a ground noise with a slight drop, lost count of how many sounded like ground noise that after investigation turned out to be deep nuggets. Some are broad signals, some are more defined. Some are just warbles, almost musical at times, but those have almost always been nuggets as opposed to those that have sometimes been so and at others just been ground noise. Love those that start out as drops, investigate, they get louder and as you get close to the target after digging the signal starts to fold over on itself with a final BRRRRRRGGGGGGG as its touching or almost touching the coil. Yeah swing slow and overlap. Even in ground a number of feet deep you can still get floaters that are not near bottom. You can read old reports of the diggers days where they say the gold was from surface down to bottom. Even some where they were amazed at finding good nuggets well above the bottom. If my memory serves me correctly at Rheola they commented on finding big slugs several feet from the actual bottom.

Canned Heat
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2015-03-09

Back to top Go down