Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

upgrades

+2
liquidrep0
goinbush
6 posters

Go down

upgrades Empty upgrades

Post  Guest Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:03 pm

we have a sd 2000 what are the best up grads to do....?

Last edited by stoppsy on Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:13 pm; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

upgrades Empty Re: upgrades

Post  goinbush Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:10 pm

Have a talk to woody at detector mods and do a bit of research yourself .Woody has done 2 lots of upgrades on my 3500 which i am very happy with cheers Goinbush.

goinbush
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2009-01-31

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidrep0 Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:41 pm

Just had my 2000 done by woody will be trying it out next weekend let u knowwhat i think

liquidrep0

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2008-11-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Fisherman Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:28 pm

G day Stoppsy the SD2000 is already a great detector.
I ran my bog standard SD2000 at a regulated 7.3 volts and added a super sound signal enhancer and did very well with it.
Don't ever feel under gunned with a 2000 they punch very deep.
I wish i never sold mine.
So my advice would be to get a good signal enhancer and a reg battery supply and learn the machine + Minelab have said they won't repair modded detectors anymore.
Fisherman
Fisherman
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 156
Registration date : 2009-06-06

Back to top Go down

Post  nero_design Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:06 pm

(FACEPALM)

Actually, to be fair, I can't see anything wrong with making a few changes to the older 2000 model SD.
Some people have been happy with the results.

Personally, I don't advocate the altering of more recent models.

Let us know how you go when you get it back!

Fisherman is correct about the modded detectors being untouchable by many dealers.
The dealer can't offer warranty on a machine if it has been altered and the manufacturer is no longer prepared to test and evaluate or repair detectors using 3rd party coils or which have been modified beyond external cosmetic changed.
nero_design
nero_design
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2008-11-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Inhere Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:19 pm

"the manufacturer is no longer prepared to test and evaluate or repair detectors using 3rd party coils."

Since when have Minelab refused to repair detectors using 3rd party coils?
How do they know? upgrades Icon_scratch
Inhere
Inhere
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 941
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:32 am

Gday

I am not a great advocate of mods on detectors and the reason is that its very hard to get a direct answer from anyone who has had something done.

The other thing is that if I were looking to buy a detector the moment I see that it has had mods done, I am inclined to lose interest in it, often thinking to myself that why are they getting rid of it?, and maybe they are having trouble with it etc etc, and the other reason is that I have heard that minelab dont want to touch modded machines.

There are things that you can do yourself that will improve the performance of your detector, all its all completetly reversable, one of the biggest improvements you can make is to fit a good quality signal booster, you will be surprised at the change that can make, add to that a good quality set of headphones or a compatable external speaker, and then put it on a regulated battery system, then finally update your coils as old coils due to age, wear and tear etc can be a bit dull in their performance, where a later version will be a bit more sensitive or more stable in some cases.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:16 am

thanks alot to everyone it's been good to read the difference off what people think

Back to top Go down

upgrades Empty SD2000 mods

Post  thegolddude Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:02 pm

The latest VCO mod is a killer one. Triples the sensitivity of the old 2000. You can also tune out EMI with a simple quarter turn
of a knob. It also provides very accurate discrimination against medium to large steel objects, even at depth. I keep one as a backup unit or for when I hit a trashy area. I think both Ismael and Woody can do this mod. Graham

thegolddude
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2010-04-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:20 pm

what sort of price is it for the vco mod?

Back to top Go down