Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Getting the Trommel back in action

Go down

Getting the Trommel back in action Empty Getting the Trommel back in action

Post  country girl on Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:41 pm

Just getting ready for the upcoming prospecting season and thought I would get the trommel up and running. It has been sitting in the back yard for some years - I put some new fuel in the tank and it started again - the first time !!!. Sometimes the old and reliable is better as it has often proved its worth (although it looks very much worse for wear).

https://i.servimg.com/u/f38/18/31/36/20/dsc03714.jpg

https://i.servimg.com/u/f38/18/31/36/20/dsc03715.jpg

https://i.servimg.com/u/f38/18/31/36/20/dsc03716.jpg

Just wondering - a 2:1 gear reduction box runs the trommel box - I would like to change the gearbox oil (all I know is that there is a drain plug at the bottom of the gearbox) - do I simply use normal engine oil or do I need a specific transmission or gearbox oil ??

Cheers De

country girl
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2013-04-23

Back to top Go down

Getting the Trommel back in action Empty Re: Getting the Trommel back in action

Post  pablop on Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:56 pm

Looks like the donk is a Honda, so I would expect it to run first go.

Gearboxes normally have a heavier oil than motor oil depending on the nature of the gearbox.  I am not a qualified mechanic, but if the oil in the box looks reasonable (flows, doesn't have water in it [milky]) and especially if it is reasonably clear, I would just top it up with a similar consistency of gear oil if it is low, rather than change it all.
pablop
pablop
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 384
Registration date : 2015-01-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Digginerup on Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:50 pm

Very Happy Hi, that is a sweet looking little machine you have there  T06 , I hope you will show us some more pics or video even Wink  when you have it in action , I would love to see the recovery you could achieve with a small unit like that, does that motor cop much spillage when it runs, I would love to play with a toy like that, much better fun I think than a dryblower ...eh Lee!  T24  Q22   I think when I grow up I want to be a prospector  lol!   Rolling Eyes , good luck with it Country Girl .

Wayne. cheers
Digginerup
Digginerup
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2400
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Back to top Go down

Post  someday on Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:30 pm

The best pic would've been of the gear box Laughing

Belt driven gear box? motors not screamen, I'd go with a straight 90 weight gear oil, maybe a tad lighter, but certainly not engine oil!
someday
someday
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1583
Registration date : 2012-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  rc62burke on Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:41 pm

Digginerup wrote:Very Happy Hi, that is a sweet looking little machine you have there  T06 , I hope you will show us some more pics or video even Wink  when you have it in action , I would love to see the recovery you could achieve with a small unit like that, does that motor cop much spillage when it runs, I would love to play with a toy like that, much better fun I think than a dryblower ...eh Lee!  T24  Q22   I think when I grow up I want to be a prospector  lol!   Rolling Eyes , good luck with it Country Girl .

Wayne. cheers

Hey Wayne I have got a plan! it consists of a Wayne sized "Dryblower" ( yes I have dust masks) don't panic mate rest up over the wet do a bit of "carb Loading" your gunna need it LOL Very Happy Laughing Cool
rc62burke
rc62burke
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2084
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Digginerup on Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:54 pm

Rolling Eyes Crikey! could ya load any more carbs into it Rolling Eyes lol! ...what kind of front end loader will we be using anyway  scratch .

Wayne. cheers
Digginerup
Digginerup
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Getting the Trommel back in action Empty Getting the Trommel back in action

Post  country girl on Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:05 pm

Thanks - great suggestions, here is the trommel gearbox:

Getting the Trommel back in action Dsc03717

It has not been serviced for many years (ever ??) - the heavier gear oil sounds like a good starting point.

Kindest Regards De

country girl
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2013-04-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Digginerup on Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:20 pm

Is that a sight glass on this end of the gearbox?, do the poor old girl a favour ( and yourself in the long run ) give her a new drink of oil and then you know its done, oil is fairly cheap..gearbox's ..not so much Wink .

Wayne. cheers
Digginerup
Digginerup
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum