Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Majorca Vic near Maryborough area for prospecting

+4
Kon61gold
gollstar
rc62burke
yellowmellow
8 posters

Go down

Majorca  Vic near Maryborough area for prospecting Empty Majorca Vic near Maryborough area for prospecting

Post  yellowmellow Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:40 pm

Hi All,

This sunday iam heading up to Majorca near Maryborough and would like to know further info on this area.

Like to know spots to try gold prospecting.

Also the best coil to use as i have a gp3500.

Any info will be great.

Cheers,

Tim Eureka
yellowmellow
yellowmellow
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1695
Registration date : 2009-06-24

Back to top Go down

Majorca  Vic near Maryborough area for prospecting Empty Majorca

Post  rc62burke Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:24 am

Hi Tim
North of the town 2 k out go over the bridge take the next left go down 10 k on a winding road you will come to golden gully, go accross the gully do a u turn get out and scratch your head have a look around get in your car drive over golden gully go about 10 k on a winding road take a right turn at the intersection you will cross a bridge a further 2 k you will come to a town drive through the town & go to the spot where you found your .2 of a gram nugget you should remember where that is & work that area thoroughly.
you asked for it, you need to start learning from the advise that members give you, Did You get JP"s DVD if not just get it.
Many people her are willing to help but if it fall's on deaf ears become frustrated.
My final bit of advise is for you to review all post's that have replied to your ???????????????????????????? & do your homework then come back & tell us what you have learnt, PLEASE help yourself.
best of luck.

Lee

ps. I know nothing about the area stated above, however it would only take me about a week to gain some info to give me a better chance.
rc62burke
rc62burke
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2083
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Back to top Go down

Majorca  Vic near Maryborough area for prospecting Empty Re: Majorca Vic near Maryborough area for prospecting

Post  Guest Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:32 pm

Hi Tim,
As for Majorca, many people have been there before you.

http://museumvictoria.com.au/collections/items/767840/negative-majorca-victoria-circa-1890

The best spot is where you find gold.

The best all round, all purpose, will work anywhere coil is the one that came with the detector as standard (11"dd ). Thats why they gave it to you. If you disagree, read all the posts in the section "All about Coils".

Does anyone have the pleasure of driving you this time? If so, don't forget the instructions given.
The scratching the head part is an important step of the journey as you will find out.

Don't forget to fill in your holes.

PS: Well said Lee.

Back to top Go down

Majorca  Vic near Maryborough area for prospecting Empty Re: Majorca Vic near Maryborough area for prospecting

Post  gollstar Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:34 pm

no gold there
gollstar
gollstar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 697
Registration date : 2009-04-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Kon61gold Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:55 pm

I agree - no gold

21 members of the club - 4 tiny pieces for the weekend - .1s

Jeff
Kon61gold
Kon61gold
Management

Number of posts : 4514
Registration date : 2008-10-16

https://golddetecting.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Rwork Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:53 pm

I have found gold on private property in this area.See if you can find the gas line that comes from portland and have a look before it crosses the main road.There is a large old mine site on the land i visited and a mountain of mullock. Its very volcanic around this area and i think the miners had to tunnell under basalt. Rwork

Rwork
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 285
Registration date : 2011-04-20

Back to top Go down

Post  archcat74 Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:57 pm

rc62burke wrote:Hi Tim
North of the town 2 k out go over the bridge take the next left go down 10 k on a winding road you will come to golden gully, go accross the gully do a u turn get out and scratch your head have a look around get in your car drive over golden gully go about 10 k on a winding road take a right turn at the intersection you will cross a bridge a further 2 k you will come to a town drive through the town & go to the spot where you found your .2 of a gram nugget you should remember where that is & work that area thoroughly.
you asked for it, you need to start learning from the advise that members give you, Did You get JP"s DVD if not just get it.
Many people her are willing to help but if it fall's on deaf ears become frustrated.
My final bit of advise is for you to review all post's that have replied to your ???????????????????????????? & do your homework then come back & tell us what you have learnt, PLEASE help yourself.
best of luck.

Lee

ps. I know nothing about the area stated above, however it would only take me about a week to gain some info to give me a better chance.

Lee, there is no need for such rudeness! Not everyone has your researching skills or knowledge. This is why forums are here - for people to ask questions so they can LEARN. It really wouldnt have been too hard for you to give some constructive advice, or better yet as you had nothing to contribute - say nothing at all....

archcat74
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2012-06-05

Back to top Go down

Post  rc62burke Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:11 pm

Hi Arch
Welcome to the forum thanks for the response to this old post of mine, I think if you read between the lines a little you will see that the advice that was given was constructive, if you do a search and have a look at all the post's from the member that started that thread you will see that many people including myself have tried to assist with advice and that it has landed on deaf ears, it does get a little frustrating when you try to help & it does not get through.
By no stretch of the imagination do I proffess to be all knowing in the prospecting world what I do know is that if I do not help myself then no-one else is going to if I show a little anitiative others may assist a little.
cheers
Lee
rc62burke
rc62burke
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  archcat74 Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:18 am

Sorry if i came across a little harsh there too! Like many of us here, I am involved in a lot of other forums. I know what you are saying, and I will admit that I didn't realise this person was an "issue" Wink

Just one of those things that grinds my gears. - i believe you ask a question, you get an answer that's all
Razz

archcat74
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2012-06-05

Back to top Go down

Post  rc62burke Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:32 pm

Hi Arch
Cool
Lee
rc62burke
rc62burke
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  secret squirrel Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:09 pm

No gold there Aye?????? lol! Being almost an old timer who has spend many years in all of Vic I can assure you in my days we got heaps from there...google in and you will see the moonscape to the left of Majorca....back in around 1974-78 we used to go "specking there " on the heaps after the rains.. Suspect ..private paddocks .....all you had to do was bend down and pick it up ! no detectors in those days for us ! I'de love to get in there with todays technology, perhaps they have already done it, but the gold was through all the dirt so you would have to spread it.....along that line it would be well worth it to open it up with a bulldozer just like they have done over in Talbot etc....there will be many kilos of gold left Wink , you just have to get down to it and open cut is the only way.....if you got permission that is !
cheers SS cheers
secret squirrel
secret squirrel
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 216
Registration date : 2011-02-07

Back to top Go down

Post  secret squirrel Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:58 pm

For those of you who are serious about prospecting and don't mind doing some research to get onto some less know spots I would suggets you do a bit of reading in the following papers: re the discovery of Majorca gold etc..
.MSR ( Mining Surveyors reports monthly1858-63
MADA( Maryborough and Dunolly Advertiser 23 March to Dec 1863,
The Talbot Leader March April 1863, etc etc..
.there are many other local papers etc which will make a mention to gold related events.....the trick is to take note of all the report and most importantly to "read between the lines".
This applies to all goldfields all over Aus, to get into the elusive ground you will be miles ahead once you know how to "read between the lines".
To give you an excample:
no mention about diggings in any gold books, surveys or any other reports, yet , when you do your studies in the old archives(even in family histories) you will come across small remarks like for instance: Jack and Bob so and so where working in XXX gully when the news broke out of a major discovery at XXX, and naturally Jack and Bob packed up and rushed to the new area, well , in the past from those small insignificant recording we have come across many very profitable spots, think about it! Gold does strange things to all of us and the grass always seems to be greener on the other side !
Myself, yes, I have made huge mistakes in my younger years to walk away from spots even when we got just 1 grammers.....they seem to be the big ones of today !
at least there are still a lot of untouched spot left for when we get down there again one day.....retirement is getting closer.....won't be long and we will be able to escape the ratrace.... cheers cheers cheers
cheers SS
secret squirrel
secret squirrel
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 216
Registration date : 2011-02-07

Back to top Go down

Post  cabletie Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:59 pm

secret squirrel wrote:No gold there Aye??????  lol!  Being almost an old timer who has spend many years in all of Vic I can assure you in my days we got heaps from there...google in and you will see the moonscape to the left of Majorca....back in around 1974-78 we used to go "specking there " on the heaps after the rains.. Suspect ..private paddocks .....all you had to do was bend down and pick it up ! no detectors in those days for us ! I'de love to get in there with todays technology, perhaps they have already done it, but the gold was through all the dirt so you would have to spread it.....along that line it would be well worth it to open it up with a bulldozer just like they have done over in Talbot etc....there will be many kilos of gold left Wink , you just have to get down to it and open cut is the only way.....if you got permission that is !
cheers SS cheers
what do you mean by moonscape secrete squirrel?
cabletie
cabletie
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 575
Registration date : 2012-08-12

https://youtu.be/s_5Td2wPusA

Back to top Go down