Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

some learnings

Go down

some learnings Empty some learnings

Post  the hill folk Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:13 pm

Went to Enfieled today and found some bullets!! Hooraaaayyy.....

But...learnt something very interesting about the 5000....I was using the stock 11 inch mono in general and FG.

Up on top of one of the ridges there were many, many pockets of "hot clay". I know this cause I dug them all !!.

Along the way I kept dropping a little bit of lead on the ground or I buried it to compare signals from hot clay and had an interesting result.
As we know, the volume of the target signal varies depending on the size/depth variables. So lets say, for arguments sake, that a target gives a signal of volume 3 of 10.... I had many pockets of clay giving the same volume response, clear and repeatable in both directions.... the difference, I found was this.......
A genuine target that gives a lowish volume signal gives a whoop....... A pocket of hot clay with the same volume gives a whoooop (at the same swing speed of course)...Sorry but i have no other way of describing it....for a given volume, the clay gave a signal that lasted longer than it should... Now I realise that most hot clay spots dont give signals that sound the same from both directions but I found lots that did today and by the end of the day I could tell which was which....I continued to dig them all to prove my observations and was proved right. I know this must sound a bit dodgy but one I knew what to listen for it was simple......

the hill folk
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 202
Registration date : 2013-01-27

Back to top Go down

some learnings Empty Re: some learnings

Post  Guest Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:41 pm

Try this next time your there and experimenting with clay domes.

With the detector in fixed and a good ground balance in the area near the clay dome and your getting a signal over the clay dome press the green button "Tracking button" on the handle, this puts the machine into tracking mode, and now swing over the clay dome, a few swings and it will be nearly gone.  If your still getting a good signal then dig it up.

Now try this same idea over a true target, bit of lead your droping or a bit of gold and you will find it wont track out, this shoud tell you something.  Very Happy

A bit of practice and you will find what works best for you.

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

some learnings Empty hey thanks

Post  the hill folk Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:14 pm

Thanks for that Dave...I will certainly try what you say......

Dave

the hill folk
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

some learnings Empty Re: some learnings

Post  Guest Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:50 pm

I should have said when in fixed, "Press & Hold" the green button down while doing this. When finished make sure to re ground balance your machine to the surrounding area properly.

When doing this over a genuine target you will find the machine is way out of ground balance as the machine is trying to balance the genuine target out. Mostly with a clay dome the ground balance will be ok and just the clay dome has been balance out.

But in any case when finished do the re ground balance anyway.

I know this method works well for us, and once your used to it and got your head around how it works you will be pleased as well.

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

some learnings Empty thanks again...

Post  the hill folk Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:41 pm

Thanks again..... Well explained !!

the hill folk
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

some learnings Empty thanks to davsgold

Post  the hill folk Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:12 pm

Thanks to davsgold......
Went out to Dolly's Creek today....no gold...more bullets and shot.
Tried the technique for distinguishing between hot clay and target as described above and it works a treat so thanks for that !!!

the hill folk
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down