Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help with Maps

4 posters

Go down

Help with Maps Empty Help with Maps

Post  Goldiewa Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:58 pm

Hi All,

I am wondering if someone can help. We were told of a good place to prospect and told the name of a well to locate. Unfortunately have not been able to locate on any map so far. Have looked at historical maps and geo maps etc., any ideas how I would be able to locate this would be appreciated.. I thought all wells and bores would be marked on maps. Just wondering where to go from here. We are in WA.

Thanks
Goldie Smile 
Goldiewa
Goldiewa
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2013-07-27

Back to top Go down

Help with Maps Empty Re: Help with Maps

Post  Guest Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:27 pm

G'day Goldiewa

Sometimes the names are just local names and not what might be the proper name on a map, so the only thing I can suggest is try and get the name of other wells/bores in the general area and then try and narrow it down from there.

Also Tengraph has the name of bores and wells in red writing, you need to zoom in to read them but it may help.

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:02 pm

Hello GoldieWA,
In addition to what Dave has mentioned, once you travel to the general area you will notice all the old wells and bore tanks have the names painted on them.
Unfortunately the Government (Greens) buy back of large tracts of land have seen many of the tanks and mills removed.

Good luck with your search.
Cheers
Peter
Nightjar
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2689
Registration date : 2008-10-25

https://l.instagram.com/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fusr%2Fka

Back to top Go down

Post  mulgadansa Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:48 pm

Gday Goldie
As far as I know there is no way of finding out a bore or well location by its' name. You could try asking locals in the area you are going to. That's probably the best bet. If it's in the Murchison/East Murchison I may be able to help, if you can give me a general area. I know that country pretty well. Do it by PM if you like.
If it's an old mining area and you have a mine name or number, Tengraph is the go for finding it.
cheers
Brett
mulgadansa
mulgadansa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 525
Registration date : 2008-10-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Detrackozi Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:52 pm

Goldie

I have them all, if you can PM me the map area I can give you the list just I am in Vic

Help with Maps Image2_zps78729a87
Detrackozi
Detrackozi
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1098
Registration date : 2008-10-27

Back to top Go down