Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First time with my 5000

3 posters

Go down

First time with my 5000 Empty First time with my 5000

Post  longbob Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:18 pm

I've had a GPX 5000 for about 18 months now but due to poor health haven't been able to use it. Had a half day lesson on its use about 6 months ago, most of which I have since forgotten.
Went to a researched spot near Chewton. So disappointing. Holes everywhere, rubbish strewn thru the bush, trees broken down
I spent the day trying to come up with something, but only found some very small fragments of nails etc. Guess that's a start.
Don't know where to go next if all the sites are left like this one.
Anyhow good exercise, and I obviously need to go out with someone experienced. Won't sell the 5000 just yet

longbob
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2012-03-01

Back to top Go down

First time with my 5000 Empty Re: First time with my 5000

Post  getascripter Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:13 pm

G'day longbob ... nice to hear from you  Very Happy 

No, I wouldn't be giving up on the 5000 either, especially after so little time! Glad to hear that you're now fit enough to get out and about for a swing. I'm not into detecting much, preferring my highbanker or dry washer, but each to their own!  Surprised 

Yes, there are a few spots through the gold fields that truly are nothing more than tips, but luckily most places are no where near as bad as that. All we can do is make sure that we clean up after ourselves, pick up some of the junk if we're able to, and at least cart it away to dispose of properly.

I make it a habit to take away 10 pieces of rubbish per day (if I can find ten tin cans/broken bottles etc) ... but my kind of gold hunting doesn't get me walking around quite so much as detectorists. All the same, you'll always find holes or "catch spots" where rubbish accumulates.

Good luck out there ... hope you find your first gold soon!!
getascripter
getascripter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1900
Registration date : 2012-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post  longbob Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:11 am

Thanks for the reply getascripter
I have to confess to finally sticking my detector back into the car and dragging out my gold pan. At least I then had the satisfaction of having some gold to bring home, even if it was small
I want to find gold with the detector so that my wife will speak to me again Rolling Eyes , but will need more guidance. I guess the fact that I did pick up very small fragments of metal means I was using it approximately right. although I would have expected the occasional lead bullet.
I'm aware there is still gold to be found, but wonder in the Victorian goldfields if it's getting to the extremely hard stage.
I didn't bring rubbish home, but did pile as much as possible into one hole.

longbob
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:58 am

Hi Longbob
Good on ya for trying to clean the bush a bit  cheers 

When it comes to detecting, well only tinny bums find gold first time every time  Rolling Eyes 
The general rule I find, is a tonne of lead to one piece of gold  Laughing 

Yes it might be getting harder to find, but some people are still pulling the odd nice bit from the ground..
You just have to keep trying, so don't give up.
Aren't there any prospecting clubs you could join??

Back to top Go down

Post  longbob Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:48 am

Thanks Jen. Encouragement goes along way, especially when everything aches and you wonder why you aren't feeling the way you did all those years ago.
As your post came through I was looking to see what there was in the way of clubs to join and have found a couple of likely ones to try.
Yes I know there are still the good bits of gold out there, but I'm sort of between the wet prospecting, dish, sluice, cradle, that I am familiar with and the electronic. Maybe I will have a leg in either camp for now.
Thank you again for your encouragement Smile 

longbob
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:31 pm

Hi Longbob,
It takes time to get better in any hobby and this one is not exception.

Practice makes perfect.

For a start you have best detector for our conditions.

Use this sites to find a little bit more about goldfields:

http://mapshare2.dse.vic.gov.au/MapShare2EXT/imf.jsp?site=geovic

http://trove.nla.gov.au/

http://www.google.com/earth/

Explore and read as many posts here.

If you need any help with above Sites just ask.

The best thinks is to find a detecting mate.Someone who is little bit more experience and willing to take you for a day out.
Plenty people like this here.

Personally I have been many times to Chewton and very rarely came home without little nugget or two.

Please post in General area if you plan to hve day out and ask if someone will join you.
There are some members from Chewton here too.

Next time i decide to visit Chewton will let you know.

Good luck and take care around.

Happy gold hunting...

GoldEN

Back to top Go down

Post  longbob Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:39 pm

Oh wow golden, thank you so much for that offer. I just cant believe how helpful and generous people are on this forum.
I don't want to give up the new hobby, and I love seeing the yellow stuff in the bottom of my pan [yeah I know - the old way lol.] But I just cant imagine the excitement of digging your first detected nugget, no matter what size.
I know that experience is essential and that only comes from listening and watching and reading. To have a mentor would be wonderful.
I live in the Dandenongs and a trip up to Castlemaine means 5-6 hours driving for the day, so am really putting in the big ones to get away
Positive side - I did get some really tiny flakes of metal so I must have had the settings somewhere near right.
Looking forward to getting back as soon as possible, and renewing all the aches and pains. Neurofen anyone??? Laughing 

longbob
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  CostasDee Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:13 am

Q31  to the forum longbob. You got a ripper of a detector there that's capable of finding the yella, all you have to do is walk over it (that's the hard bit), but stick with it and it'll happen.  Q01 
CostasDee
CostasDee
Management

Number of posts : 3971
Registration date : 2010-11-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:41 am

Longbob as all the others have said " You have the top of the range detector". It is now up to "YOU" to get to know what your machine can do, in other words you and your machine have to become one. This will take time, as they say "Rome was not built in a day". I have been detecting since the late 70's early 80's and I'm still learning, specially about my machine and I to have a 5000 as well. Try and get up this way when the forum is having a get together or join a detector club. Look on this site under Detecting & Prospecting Clubs great info there. Any time you are thinking of coming up to Maryborough, contact me and if I'm not doing anything we'll go out together and I'll try and show you the ropes. I found my first gold nugget with a detector only in the late 90's thanks to the help from John Gladdis from Coiltek 0.5gm. So mate stick in there and it will all come together, and your first bit of yellow found by your detector could just be around the corner.
wombat  Wink

Back to top Go down

Post  longbob Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:21 pm

Thanks so much Wombat. I will very likely take you up on your kind offer.
I have found a local club out here in the Dandenongs and am looking forward to going to a meeting and finding other fossickers to learn from.
My first trip out was a real eye opener in the question "Where the hell do I start" I had researched the area and knew that it had been surfaced [old race and headings] and that the tailings heaps were still contributing gold to the gully after heavy rain. But on reflection the surfaced area probably wasn't going to have much left, and the gold in the tailings was more pan or sluice material
So these are the questions I need to work on, as well as the machine. But I figure if my detector picked up lead shot, the settings must have been about right.
Nice rain outside now, and I think of those old tailings heaps and more gold for my pan. Still a foot in both camps Laughing 

longbob
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down