Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SEARCH COIL

5 posters

Go down

SEARCH COIL Empty SEARCH COIL

Post  melissa Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:10 pm

I have a GPX4000 and have been using my nf 17" mono coil for searching for a new patch. Would I be better off using my 17" DD coil instead as I have been informed that the DD coil has a wider search path.

Also is it worth travelling to Murrin Murrin in the WA Goldfields to look for some gold that maybe someone has left behind? I know it has been very popular in the past.

melissa
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2010-03-06

Back to top Go down

SEARCH COIL Empty Re: SEARCH COIL

Post  Nightjar Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:59 pm

Hi,
It comes down to personal choice with coils, personally I have only ever used nothing other than mono coils on 2100 through to the present 4500, don't even own a DD.
Any of the goldfields in WA are worth a visit, do your research before venturing out to ensure you are not on someones lease.
Please become and APLA member and most certainly have a WA Miners Right.

Cheers
Nightjar
Nightjar
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2689
Registration date : 2008-10-25

https://l.instagram.com/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fusr%2Fka

Back to top Go down

Post  broc113559 Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:10 pm

Hi Melissa, I have just returned home from a two week trip, The place I went is extremely heavily worked and is continuing getting searched. I met two others out there with gp3500's and over two weeks they pulled in a slow but rewarding ounce and a bit. it was mostly in pieces smaller than 1gm - very slow going but there is still yellow there. As for the coil, the right coil and settings is makes the difference, I too have a 4000 however I have a goldstalker mono and going over the heavy minerised ground I walked over ground low and slow but still I was missing targets my net pool for two weeks was a .6 grammer trying several setting changes with the mono. after I returned home I call the others out there and they told me that they picked up a sun baker right where my chain marks criss-crossed. luck is out there can only try and learn. SEARCH COIL Icon_biggrin

Last edited by broc113559 on Sat May 01, 2010 12:52 am; edited 1 time in total

broc113559
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2009-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Tributer Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:03 pm

In desert areas when patch hunting i would use a mono 17 inch coil or bigger. Many friends use the 24 inch eliptical. The theory is to cover ground efficiently looking for just one nugget to indicate a patch. Then you slow down in that area and change coils as necessary. The patch may be mainly small gold and you may need a 8 or 12 inch mono to get at the smaller nuggies.

The 17 will go well, if you want to patch hunt in non flogged areas reguarly you may consider a bigger eliptical.

Tributer
Tributer
Tributer
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1006
Registration date : 2008-10-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat May 01, 2010 6:06 am

Gday

There are many places closer to Perth than Murrin Murrin that are still worthwhile, my advice would be to use a small mono coil on the worked areas and a larger mono coil 14" and over to cover new ground, if you happen across some ground that really looks as though it should produce gold then try all of your coils on it as sometimes you can be surprised.

Many of the worked areas have given up the large obvious pieces, but they can still provide many ozs of sub grammers and sometimes a deep specie or two, the trick is to get your machine as quiet as you can, switch the brain into prospecting mode, and then go low and slow, take your time and poke the coil under all the bushes and get in close around all the trees.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Sat May 01, 2010 11:21 pm

Hi Melissa.

Your 17x11 nugget finder is a dynamite combination on the 4000.Have used both white and gray advantage series coils on the same machine and both coils ran quiet on most ground conditions.The advantage running slightly more quieter than the white plastic super-light, on the much more hotter ground,with both coils offering superb depth.As for the same size DD coil,yes it does have a slightly longer search pattern across its length,but unless your talking extreme mineralization,you will be sacrificing depth on both the very small(0.2 to say around the 5 or so gram mark size nuggets).
The 17x11 monos coupled to your GPX4000 are not only excellent patch finding coils (Considering their weight)
but one of the most versatile creek/gully combination coil available on the market today.

Cheers kon61
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down