Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dry Washing in WA

3 posters

Go down

Dry Washing in WA Empty Dry Washing in WA

Post  Joblo Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:47 pm

Have been considering buying a Keene 141 dry washer to take out to a few promising spots in WA.

Is anyone aware if this is legal under a WA miners right. Have 40E permits for the locations.
As far as I can see it seems OK.

Only hand tools are used to move soil.
Joblo
Joblo
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2011-07-17

Back to top Go down

Dry Washing in WA Empty Re: Dry Washing in WA

Post  piston broke Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:11 pm

I don't really know Joblo, but here's my take on it .

You can't dig deeper than 2 metres (you won't anyway I reckon )
You can't take more than 20 kgs of soil away with you.
You are manually working the dry blower on permitted land.
All sounds good to me         T33 

ps But what would I know   Q25    cheers Pete.  Q08 
piston broke
piston broke
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1633
Registration date : 2011-05-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:01 pm

G'day Pete & Joblo,

I think your only allowed to take 20kg of minerals.  scratch 

Cheers. Mike.

Back to top Go down

Post  getascripter Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:53 pm

http://www.dmp.wa.gov.au/10871.aspx  Seems like a good place to start (not that I've been to WA)

•undertake limited sampling using hand held equipment and to remove samples up to 20 kilograms;

It might be worth really looking through this site (or perhaps one of our WA members might help?) because I could find no reference at all to dry washing ... and, in fact, I find the site quite weird ... it says  

"Fossick" means to search for remove rock, ore or minerals other than gold or diamonds not exceeding 20 kilograms for a mineral collection, lapidary work or hobby interest by use of hand tools only (ie: mechanised equipment, metal detectors etc may not be used in fossicking).

but in another section it says

Prospecting can be carried out for all minerals including gold and a metal detector can be used. Prospecting cannot be carried out on a mining tenement unless the tenement holder's consent is obtained and, if a pastoral lease is affected, the pastoralist should be notified.

Prospecting may be carried out on an exploration licence situated on Crown Land for a period of three months where a Section 40E Permit has first been obtained.

Fossicking authorises the collection of mineral specimens (excluding gold and diamonds) for lapidary work or hobby interests. Use of a metal detector is not permitted. In addition the written consent of any mining tenement holder and the pastoralist is required.
getascripter
getascripter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1900
Registration date : 2012-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun May 18, 2014 10:44 am

Hi Kate, fossicking is considered differently to prospecting. You can not fossick with a detector on you as it is then considered prospecting and has different rules to follow. A small dry washer like the Keene 141 would be covered under the miners right. I'm 99% sure of this. Simply must use hand tools to load it up is all. 
Cheers

Back to top Go down