Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New GPX5000

4 posters

Go down

New GPX5000 Empty New GPX5000

Post  the hill folk Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:15 pm

Will take posession of a 5000 in the next couple of weeks. I also have an AT Gold.
Have already read the manual to death and will continue to do so. Once it arrives I plan to go to a friends farm and sit in the middle of the paddocks and plant some targets at different depths, shapes and sizes and fiddle about for ages to learn sounds, behaviours etc etc....
This I plan to do before I set foot on the goldfields.

Question...is this playing around/testing in mild ground worth the time? and....are there any other tips you may have for a first time GPX owner.?

the hill folk
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 202
Registration date : 2013-01-27

Back to top Go down

New GPX5000 Empty Re: New GPX5000

Post  getascripter Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:59 pm

Sorry ... my last detector was the 4000, so can't help with any techo stuff ... but just remember to have fun!! Oh ... and don't forget to post pics of all your finds!!
getascripter
getascripter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1900
Registration date : 2012-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post  spinna Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:09 pm

Kate. WHAT HAVE YOU DONE !!!!!!

spinna
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 245
Registration date : 2010-09-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:29 pm

the hill folk wrote: Question...is this playing around/testing in mild ground worth the time? and....are there any other tips you may have for a first time GPX owner.?

G'day the hill folk

Well you bought the best there is, and by the sounds of things you will do well by reading and researching and testing things like you say.

Answer to your question is yes, it will be well worth the effort, 1, because the targets you place will probably be the only targets there and you wont be getting distracted because there are some mullock heaps in sight.  Very Happy 

And 2, because you will get the sounds fixed into your head by testing, mild ground or mineralized ground, the actual target sound will be the same. If you don't have gold nuggets to test on use lead/fishing sinkers of various sizes and at various depths.

Good luck with that machine.

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

New GPX5000 Empty testing

Post  the hill folk Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:08 pm

Thanks Dave and Kate ... Some good points made...

the hill folk
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 202
Registration date : 2013-01-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Sharkbait Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:53 pm

Hi there,Hill Folk..
Any time out practising in the field is time well spent...start by putting everything in Factory Preset
If you're on mild ground you'll probably get away with the Sens.Extra timing,but you'll most likely need to change to Fine Gold when you hit the goldfields depending on where you plan on detecting for nuggs  Very Happy 
Play around with Gain and Stabilizer settings for optimum results,and keep notes of your settings,when your target responses sound best  cheers 

Most of all,have fun out there and relax..  T06 

Cheers..Dave
Sharkbait
Sharkbait
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 924
Registration date : 2013-03-07

Back to top Go down