Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I would like to buy a metal detector. What sort should i get?

5 posters

Go down

I would like to buy a metal detector. What sort should i get? Empty I would like to buy a metal detector. What sort should i get?

Post  JashimChando Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:39 pm

Well i have never had a metal detector before and i just want one to
take to the beach or something to see if i find anything cool. im
looking 4 a second hand one in the paper and i have fount 3 people
selling one, i no nothing about them so is there any of these that would
be good for a beginer.
*one of them says Leda...(i have know idea what that is)
*one says minelab GPX4500 (dont know what that is either)
*and one says Lngfd (that might be short for something but i dnno what)

so are any of them good?
and how effective are metal detectors? can i find something worth
something?!?!

thanx.

JashimChando
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2010-04-15

Back to top Go down

I would like to buy a metal detector. What sort should i get? Empty Re: I would like to buy a metal detector. What sort should i get?

Post  goldenbrown Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:40 pm

JashimChando wrote:Well i have never had a metal detector before and i just want one to
take to the beach or something to see if i find anything cool. im
looking 4 a second hand one in the paper and i have fount 3 people
selling one, i no nothing about them so is there any of these that would
be good for a beginer.
*one of them says Leda...(i have know idea what that is)
*one says minelab GPX4500 (dont know what that is either)
*and one says Lngfd (that might be short for something but i dnno what)

so are any of them good?
and how effective are metal detectors? can i find something worth
something?!?!

thanx.

HI there,
The best thing to do is to work out what you can afford to spend first. Metal detectors can cost hundreds, or thousands. If you only want to detect on beaches then a gold prospecting detector like the minelab gpx 4500 and the other gpx range would be overkill.
The minelab range is the best and they offer everything from under water detectors to relic and coin detectors and of course gold detectors.
You can find plenty of things of value on the beach and some people even have a job using metal detectors to find peoples lost jewelry for a fee.
Good luck, goldenbrown...

goldenbrown
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 171
Registration date : 2009-12-26

Back to top Go down

I would like to buy a metal detector. What sort should i get? Empty Re: I would like to buy a metal detector. What sort should i get?

Post  chopppacalamari Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:46 pm

How about a whites MXT? Its about time I upgraded. I'll send u a PM.

Dicko..
chopppacalamari
chopppacalamari
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 660
Registration date : 2008-12-13

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:04 am

G'day JashimChando.

Once again you'll have to be more specific about the type of beach detecting you intend going over.In other words will you be detecting on just dry beach sand,wet,or in or under the water?.
Here are 4 of what i believe to be the best beach detectors for coin and jewelry on the market. They are the Minelab Excalibur 11,The Fisher CZ 21,The Garret Infinium L/S,and the Whites Beach Hunter ID 300.There are others,but the reason for choosing these particular 4 is because they can go from dry sand to wet sand to in the surf and underwater(if necessary).Also they all have one other thing in common,they all come with discriminators,which can discriminate against various objects found on the beach.All have been out for a while and have various field testing reports and people feed back.

Cheers kon61
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:16 am

kon61 wrote:G'day JashimChando.

Once again you'll have to be more specific about the type of beach detecting you intend going over.In other words will you be detecting on just dry beach sand,wet,or in or under the water?.
Here are 4 of what i believe to be the best beach detectors for coin and jewelry on the market. They are the Minelab Excalibur 11,The Fisher CZ 21,The Garret Infinium L/S,and the Whites Beach Hunter ID 300.There are others,but the reason for choosing these particular 4 is because they can go from dry sand to wet sand to in the surf and underwater(if necessary).Also they all have one other thing in common,they all come with discriminators,which can discriminate against various objects found on the beach.All have been out for a while and have various field testing reports and people feed back.

Cheers kon61
Not sure about the others, but I'm pretty sure(correct me if I'm wrong please) the Excalibur you cannot change the coil size yourself, you either buy the 8" version or the 10" version. After market coils do seem to be availiable but have to be proffessionally fitted to keep the waterproofing. Also, it's headphones only..no external speaker. Which may be a draw back for some.
Most complaints seem to be the weight when swinging out of the water, apart from that all reports a brilliant bit of gear for the beach and surf.

Back to top Go down

Post  aushunter Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:29 pm

G'day Lads,
Yeah Tuna, ditto on the Excal, I have used one for the last 14yrs and it is a bit weighty. It has the same guts as a Soveriegn but only waterproof. I just recently built a new straight shaft for the old girl to balance out the weight problem and it seems ok.
I also have a Bounty Hunter which I found is a little ripper on the beach and at an affordable price you cant go wrong, about $349 for a TrackerIV. And if you dont like the hobby you didnt have a big layout in cash.
JashimChando, on the beach there is an amazing amount of cash,jewlery and strange things found by detectorists all over the world.
I use to be on another forum, (Finds Treasure Forum) and they have a most excellent forum entirely based on beach detecting and the guys and gals are most helpful for any qeustions to be answered.
Be careful on buying second hand, but I will leave that judgement up to you.
Just a note on the Bounty Hunter, its nice and lite and very very easy to use.
I hope this bit of info will help.
Cheers and HH

Brad....
aushunter
aushunter
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2010-03-05

Back to top Go down