Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Our new Bus Camper project with a solar 3Kw capable solar system

4 posters

Go down

Our new Bus Camper project with a solar 3Kw capable solar system Empty Our new Bus Camper project with a solar 3Kw capable solar system

Post  deutran Wed Dec 25, 2013 7:01 pm

Thought I'd post a current project that myself and son are working on.It incorporates 1Kw of panels +3Kw continuous sine wave inverter.
Still to add 2x250A/H Agm deep cycle batteries and a small reverse cycle air conditioner to the roof as well as a small 25L hot water system.This bus will be fully self sufficient with full size shower,full kitchen etc.Lighting has been converted to 240V energy saving type 9w.
We have 40 galvanised sheets of steel with earthwool insulation to install on the walls yet.
The solar charger is a MPPT 50A unit.This tracks the Maximum power point continually and has a 3-stage pulse charger.The inverter can supply 3Kw continuous or up to 6Kw for 5 seconds.It has variable speed fans,soft start and full protection against under voltage,over current etc.Also included is a 300A oil filled breaker for added protection against short circuit.
Our new Bus Camper project with a solar 3Kw capable solar system RIMG0008a_zps3208556bOur new Bus Camper project with a solar 3Kw capable solar system RIMG0015a_zps6d1e33dbOur new Bus Camper project with a solar 3Kw capable solar system RIMG0013a_zpsb13b1ee2Our new Bus Camper project with a solar 3Kw capable solar system RIMG0019a_zpsf5927917Our new Bus Camper project with a solar 3Kw capable solar system RIMG0025a_zps00126391Our new Bus Camper project with a solar 3Kw capable solar system RIMG0018a_zpsc4f59bf7Our new Bus Camper project with a solar 3Kw capable solar system RIMG0016a_zps57586f65

Last edited by deutran on Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
deutran
deutran
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2009-09-26

Back to top Go down

Our new Bus Camper project with a solar 3Kw capable solar system Empty Re: Our new Bus Camper project with a solar 3Kw capable solar system

Post  CostasDee Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:05 pm

Deutran, that's just pure drool material you got there.
Hot 30 degree days, I detect at night and by the day I sit in the shade, squatting flies and sweeting profusely, and wishing I was back in Melbourne sitting under the sprinkler. You can detect at night and then have a nice shower, nap in cool air-coned luxury, maybe even watch your favorite movie or listen to some Beethoven. Great looking project there, love to sleep in it see it, when it's finished...
CostasDee
CostasDee
Management

Number of posts : 3971
Registration date : 2010-11-23

Back to top Go down

Our new Bus Camper project with a solar 3Kw capable solar system Empty Re: Our new Bus Camper project with a solar 3Kw capable solar system

Post  deutran Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:29 pm

Hi Costas
This is our first go at a descent camper build.We have a 80's Viscount that we restored 2 years ago and came out pretty well so decided to try a larger project.The bus itself is in great condition and motor purs.
Solar is up and working and very impressive.Its sort of like a driveable power station.
I'll update the photo's in a couple of months.
deutran
deutran
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:25 am

have u had a look at the drive shaft and diff centres to b sure.
if u have had the old girl for a while I would change the wheel bearings all round-the fronts are not a big deal the rears are a different kettle of fish.
check the king pins and steering arms as well while u have the fronts of.

just a few suggestions..
sorry if I have given u more work but very worthwhile.

regards
oneday69

Back to top Go down

Post  deutran Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:39 am

Thanks for the tips Oneday96 sounds like a good idea.I know a heavy diesel mech not far from here who could help me on this one.
Regards Steve
deutran
deutran
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:44 am

Is the solar system 12v or 24v ?
Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1885
Registration date : 2008-10-22

http://australiangoldfields.freeforums.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  gullyhunter Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:21 pm

Gday Narrawa ,

The photo of the batteries looks like its connected in 12 volt parallel ...

Hey Steve - fantastic looking project , look forward to the stage photos .

Cheers
gullyhunter
gullyhunter
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2012-11-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:37 pm

The reason i asked is this......

1Kw of panels
= 1000/12v=83.3A
The solar charger is a MPPT 50A
Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1885
Registration date : 2008-10-22

http://australiangoldfields.freeforums.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  deutran Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:15 pm

Hi Narrawa its 24V(Batteries in series),panels are putting out around 800W  peak at the moment.Current is say 30A under load from the array.
The panels are all in parallel and are running between 28-32 Vdc at the moment.
deutran
deutran
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:45 pm

G'day Steve,

Looks like a mean traveling machine and would be great touring around the country for sure.  Very Happy  Can't wait to see the finished results and a great project for you and your son.  Very Happy 

Cheers.

Mike.  cheers 

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:58 pm

WOW!!!!!
That's gunna be one awesome mobile home.. Q27 

Can't wait for the progress pics, it will be very interesting to see..
It's always interesting to see others ideas.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:20 pm

That's a nice looking project Gary, should be a comfy outfit when you get done.

Are you going to add a lot more batteries to your system?  I ask this because you have a 3000w inverter and if you only have the two batteries and you try and run something serious with your 3000w inverter you will kill those batteries in no time.

Day time when you have 800w coming in from your solar panels, you could run a microwave without actually taking any from the batteries, but at night time that is a big fast drain and with none going in they will not like that for long.  Much more battery storage capacity is needed for a big inverter like that if your going to be using it for things like Air Con and Hot Water System and so on.

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  deutran Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:54 pm

Hi Dave,yep the batteries are yet to be installed I'll probably get 2x400Ah,I can always add more if required after testing.The HW will be solar.There is a aircommand sparrow roof top air con available for Rv's with a running current of around 4amps,it'll probably just get used in daylight or when 240 is available.I'll try to duct it to each room so it can be switched separately.I'm trying to keep the maximum load of any device to 1Kw which gives me a draw of 40A max apart from starting current,even though the system can draw up to 3Kw(or 6Kw for 5 seconds).When sun is available then most devices could run of the panels.I guess the batteries could also be charged of the bus motor as well if required.
deutran
deutran
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:38 am

I have put in a basic 12v wiring circuitry for lights and 8 cigarette accessory connections--this hopefully will be all that I need to run an engle and lights and gold cleaning equipment--the thought of 400ah batteries sounds good.what breed r they?

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post  deutran Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:54 am

I'm thinking of Fusion cyclic solar version 200Ah AGM Deep cycle at the moment.4x(2 in parallel,2in series).
deutran
deutran
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:43 am

G'day deutran

It sounds like you've got the power system and batteries figured out, and like you say with a bit of testing to make sure all will be good.

It's a great looking setup and it will be good to see a few pics of it along the way and when its finished.

cheers dave

Back to top Go down