Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Testing Headphones

Go down

Testing Headphones Empty Testing Headphones

Post  Guest Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:49 pm

Hi
Today i started my 4500 up in the normal manner, and found that the volume coming through my Koss UR 30 headphones was well down on yesterdays volume. Testing Headphones Icon_eek
I checked all the settings on the 4500 and found nothing amiss. I could not get a very high range (volume) even when I wound the Threshold up to maximum.

My question is, how do I check my headphones out? Testing Headphones Icon_question
I have no one else that I can compere with.
I was thinking of attaching a pair of cheaper phones, which have a stereo plug on, into the 4500 battery speaker socket.
Would I do any damage to the battery?
thanks for any advice
John

Back to top Go down

Testing Headphones Empty Re: Testing Headphones

Post  Guest Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:13 pm

Wont damage the battery at all, they are designed to take all manner of different headphones as long as the stereo plug is the correct size.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:04 am

Do you have a headphone jack point on your computer, TV or HiFi? if you do, try them out on either or all of them.
Alternatively if you can. take them to a detector shop and ask them to test them

Robert

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:10 pm

Thanks guys for replies
Yes Robert I had thought of testing in our house (except we are living in a caravan ) and all sockets as you mentioned are the very small, about 3mm size, and the headphones are 1/4". So I'll see if I can find a Jaycar, Dick smiths.
My original thoughts where that something was wrong with the 4500, hence the question, Can I use another headphone in the 4500?. Silly question on my part really.

Or I am thinking if there is something wrong with the headphones, perhaps I could use the wife's extension speaker from her computer, that does however use 4 aa batteries. would that work or would there be a power feed back to the 4500 battery pack?

Have a great weekend
John

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:41 am

Gday John

There are two things I can think of that may be the problem, one is the socket for the jack plug in the battery housing might be loose.

The other thing I found with a mates headphones, Koss td80's, was that some very small pieces of ironstone had gotten into the earpiece and attached to the speaker diaphragm due to the magnet at the back of the speaker, this had almost stopped the diaphragm from moving in and out, so very little sound was produced.

I wondered how this stuff was getting in as I thought he may have been putting them on the ground, he was putting them in his vest side pocket, where he had carried samples before so they were just fragments of those I think.

Anyway you will have to remove the earmuffs and see if you can open them up, to get to the diaphragm, its probably best to check everything else first, get a torch and look through the holes into the ear piece and see if you can see any bits in there.

Hope this sheds some light on it for you.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:10 am

Don't use the wife's speakers. You would have the same problem as if you used an enhancer like a Detacc or B & Z and plugged them into the 4500 battery as the 4500 battery has it's own inbuilt booster as you probably know.
You can buy a 3mm-to-6mm adaptor to attach to your headphones

Robert

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:06 pm

Hi guys
an update, I went to a Jaycar dealer who confirmed the headphones are now OK, and this morning all is good.
I think that "stayyerAU" may well have hit the answer on the button, with the comment of ironstone. At the last dig, my magnet on the pick was covered with iron fillings (just like the experiments we did as kids) so I'll just have to be more careful in future.
cheers
john

Back to top Go down