Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Teaching an old dog new tricks

5 posters

Go down

Teaching an old dog new tricks Empty Teaching an old dog new tricks

Post  badge1 Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:29 pm

Hi my username is badge1 but answer to many similar names.
I'm 59 YO and climbing but have been bitten by the fossicking bug thanks to one of my sons.

I live in Hervey Bay Qld, and I have recently made a sluice so I can go fossicking with my son. But it seems it is illegal here. Or is it?
Ha Ha I rang 8 different people from the Department of Natural Resources and Mines (transferred each time) and asked them if it was legal. 4 said it is, 4 said it isn't.Rolling Eyes 

So, here I am walking in circles (not unusual for me) unsure if I can or can't, or if I have to plan a trip to NSW to use my experimental sluice. I know it works because I placed some very small pieces if lead in with some sand and gravel and tried it out in the bath tub. All that was left was the lead. So gold would be left too I'd imagine.

It's similar to the underflow sluice made in the USA but I made it from perspex because it was just an experiment. And I have a bilge pump attached.

I hope to learn some tricks from you long term members, but please me warned I learn slowly.

Cheers

badge1
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2013-11-25

Back to top Go down

Teaching an old dog new tricks Empty Re: Teaching an old dog new tricks

Post  Guest Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:51 am

G'day badge1 and Q31  to the forum. Sounds like your sluice will work ok and sorry I can't help with the regulations in your state. There are many members on here that maybe able to help in that area. So I wish you luck in your new adventure and as I said welcome to the forum. Very Happy  Good luck out there.

Cheers.

Mike. cheers 

Back to top Go down

Post  piston broke Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:37 am

Welcome aboard Badge1 Very Happy  cheers Pete.
piston broke
piston broke
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1633
Registration date : 2011-05-07

Back to top Go down

Post  getascripter Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:31 am

G'day Badge. Welcome to the Forum!! Same age here Sad  Can't help you with QLD rules but maybe try https://golddetecting.forumotion.net/f20-qld-goldfields Might find some info there. But I'm sure some of our QLD Members will find this topic and give you all the good oil. Laughing 
getascripter
getascripter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1900
Registration date : 2012-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post  mungoman Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:35 am

Welcome aboard Badge1...and good luck with your sluice. For any questions on gold and it's search and regulations, I reckon you've come to the right place.
mungoman
mungoman
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 264
Registration date : 2012-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post  badge1 Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:23 pm

badge1 wrote:Hi my username is badge1 but answer to many similar names.
I'm 59 YO and climbing but have been bitten by the fossicking bug thanks to one of my sons.

I live in Hervey Bay Qld, and I have recently made a sluice so I can go fossicking with my son. But it seems it is illegal here. Or is it?
Ha Ha I rang 8 different people from the Department of Natural Resources and Mines (transferred each time) and asked them if it was legal. 4 said it is, 4 said it isn't.Rolling Eyes 

So, here I am walking in circles (not unusual for me) unsure if I can or can't, or if I have to plan a trip to NSW to use my experimental sluice. I know it works because I placed some very small pieces if lead in with some sand and gravel and tried it out in the bath tub. All that was left was the lead. So gold would be left too I'd imagine.

It's similar to the underflow sluice made in the USA but I made it from perspex because it was just an experiment. And I have a bilge pump attached.

I hope to learn some tricks from you long term members, but please me warned I learn slowly.

Cheers
Thanks for the welcome everyone.

And I struck gold today in the form of information from a ranger from the Qld State Forests.
He gave me all the info I need to get started, and he even sorted out the use of a sluice. He said it's OK to use it so long as I don't use mechanical methods to collect the ingredients for the sluice.

So I'm about a week and a half off my first trip to them there hills.Very Happy 
He even gave me a link to a map to use.  One very informed government employee.

Again thanks for the welcome.
Cheers Badge

badge1
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rc62burke Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:40 pm

badge1 wrote:
badge1 wrote:Hi my username is badge1 but answer to many similar names.

Cheers
Thanks for the welcome everyone.

And I struck gold today in the form of information from a ranger from the Qld State Forests.
He gave me all the info I need to get started, and he even sorted out the use of a sluice. He said it's OK to use it so long as I don't use mechanical methods to collect the ingredients for the sluice.

So I'm about a week and a half off my first trip to them there hills.Very Happy 
He even gave me a link to a map to use.  One very informed government employee.

Again thanks for the welcome.
Cheers Badge
Hi Badge
Welcome, good to see you ran into someone who knows the rules, it is quite simple really, land access on the other hand is not.
cheers
Lee
rc62burke
rc62burke
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2083
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Back to top Go down

Teaching an old dog new tricks Empty The the bad and the ugly

Post  badge1 Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:27 pm

Thanks Lee. Getting permission has always seemed to be the biggest effort to me.

Well, I made few preparations for my day out and put everything in the car and head off to the Degilbo area.

The good came in the form of a property owner who met me along a small dirt road. I pulled to the side to let him pass and he drove up and stopped for a chat. He actually owns land there where there was once a gold mine. After a long and detailed conversation of the region and where to look, who to talk to and where to avoid, he even gave me his name and phone number so I can contact him and head out there the next time he is on his land. He has other interests.

The bad was the fact gps decided to throw in the towel. So no easy way to mark spots as I'd planned.
Plan B mark each container and write down the location.

ha ha the ugly was a land owner who approached me on the side of a gazetted road at a creek crossing. She told me in no uncertain terms I was on her land and to get the **** off it. I had my wife with me and she is my pacifier so I relented and moved on.
I know I was in the right, but it just wasn't worth the effort to point out my rights.

A big day out for me, probably no gold (I haven't put the fines through my sluice yet), but still keen to soldier on. After I've had a beer or two to recover from my labours.

PS I might take a couple of mates next time in case I get attacked by that woman.Laughing 

badge1
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down