Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3500 still has problems

3 posters

Go down

3500 still has problems Empty 3500 still has problems

Post  fredmason Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:39 am

Hi Guys;
I have a 3500 which I took in trade for my GS-5 fiasco. I have sent it to Minelab 3 times for repair. Each time it seems better but is not....this time the unit seemed much more stable in deep/sensitive, until I tested it against some other Minelabs...in every case the other Minelab Pi's detected a 1.2 gram nugget at 6-8 inches...mine would barely give a signal at 1-2 inches in deep/sensitive...in normal/normal there was almost no signal with the coil almost touching the nugget. When switched into other modes such as normal/normal the detector would go into a warbling fit that only stopped by using the tune button procedure.

I have a trip to Australia coming quickly and must have a fully functional detector...I can't sell this one when it isn't right, so selling and buying new is not an option...

My question is would having the unit modded by Woody or Ishmael get me a properly functioning unit quicker than this seemingly never ending cycle with the minelab repair shop?
I don't expect a 3500 to be a 4500 but I do want a stable, sensitive 3500 like others have...

all opinions will be appreciated and respected

Fred

fredmason
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Back to top Go down

3500 still has problems Empty Re: 3500 still has problems

Post  Jonathan Porter Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:55 am

Hi Fred, what coil were you using on the 3500? and was it the same used on the other detectors?

JP
Jonathan Porter
Jonathan Porter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 801
Registration date : 2008-11-25

http://www.theoutbackprospector.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post  fredmason Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:21 am

Hi Jonathan;
I tested with the stock 11 dd, the 11 mono commander and my new 14-e nuggetfinder advantage...other coils used 11" mono on the 2200, 16 and 18 inch nugget finder coils and 14 inch nugget finder...the point is that every machine and coil detected the nugget 3 or 4 times farther than my 3500...there are problems with the machine that never seem to get fixed...

hope you and your family are well and happy

fred

fredmason
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan Porter Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:40 am

Might pay you to send the unit off to Minelab Australia for repair and collect it when you come through, I would not recommend the modders for this work. If you get stuck give me a call and I'll see what I can do for you (loner machine if needs be). How long are you coming out for and which tour group also which area are you visiting?

JP
Jonathan Porter
Jonathan Porter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  fredmason Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:04 am

I will be on Mark's tour 5 to Halls Creek starting july 9 then down to Doug's and Co until Aug 7...in all about one month....

I did not think sending it to Oz was an option...are the Tech's down there better than the folks in Vegas??? If I did send it I would still want it back home to have time to test it and be sure it works...I am in a quandry over this ...

I do appreciate your offer to help.

thanks
fred

fredmason
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan Porter Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:46 am

One would think that the main office would have better ideas on what to look for but the Vegas service facility should also know their stuff, just a suggestion based on your other attempts. It sounds like there is a problem though so perhaps another trip away for another service would help. The offer stands if you get stuck though. Smile

JP
Jonathan Porter
Jonathan Porter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  fredmason Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:39 am

Jonathan;
thank you for the advice and assistance, you are the only one to answer, but, that's ok, as I think it is the best route...

Usually, I have to get through a lot of overburden to get to the nugget. You threw it right on top!

Fred

fredmason
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan Porter Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:52 am

G'day Fred, its the least I can do for a bloke who kept me so well fed at Rich Hill. Rich Hill lived up to its name when I was there, I was rich in fine examples of hospitality.

JP
Jonathan Porter
Jonathan Porter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  MS Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:16 pm

Hi Fred
When I first started to get serious with detecting I hired a GP3500 and it worked great , I then bought one for myself and it wasn't even close to what I hired, I sent mine off to minelab to get checked and they changed some components and received it back within a week.
I was very happy with minelabs repair service and price but it wasn't much better, I then had it modded and it's been working fine.
Seems there are some variations between units some better than others , I don't know much about the electronics but would have thought they would all be the same but seems this is not the case going off what my findings were and what others are saying.
Cheers Mark
MS
MS
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 791
Registration date : 2009-03-17

Back to top Go down

3500 still has problems Empty at last!!! I hope...

Post  fredmason Sun May 23, 2010 3:03 am

Well, I believe the Boys at Minelab Australia have saved my 3500...thank you!!!!

When my 3500 came home, I took a trip to an area full of several types of hotrocks, iron junk, military and commercial aircraft and power lines...did I mention 80-95 F heat and the area has been detected by hundreds, perhaps thousands of people. I ran the 3500 through all its modes and switching to verify the rampant woo-wees were cured.
I found loads of old deep trash, both iron and non-iron. the smallest thing I found was a 8/10th GRAIN bit of brass or copper. The best two things I found were a 6 grain and 8 grain nugget...the first was around 4-6 inches deep, the other on the surface. All this was done within 50 yards of a main power line. When i put the dd coil on and went to cancel I found a .177 caliber lead pellet fron an air-rifle...this right next to the power lines...
Needlees to say, I am both happy and amazed...I have to use the 3500 more to build my trust in it...as Minelab, Las Vegas and previous repairs have caused me to question my skills and the machine...
But, I hope and believe I am back in the game...just in time for my third Oz Adventure

a special thanks to Jonathan Porter for his advice and guidance

Fred

fredmason
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun May 23, 2010 8:34 am

Hi Fred,

That's great news. You've got no excuse now for not finding plenty of yellow stuff in July.

Just as a matter of interest Fred, what was the total cost to ship it to and from Oz. I know there are probably several folks in the USA contemplating doing this too to avoid sending it to ML LV.

Have a great trip

Robert

Back to top Go down

Post  fredmason Mon May 24, 2010 1:11 am

I advise anyone to contact the Minelab Australia Service Dept prior to shipping...write for repair and return on the customs form...priority mail with $2000 insurance to Oz was about 65 bucks...return from Oz was $80aus...

the repair was about $400 ...I can say no more

fred

Last edited by fredmason on Mon May 24, 2010 1:13 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : additional info)

fredmason
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed May 26, 2010 7:18 am

Thanks Fred,

It's a pity you couldn't get MLLV to reimburse you.

Robert

Back to top Go down