Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

fast track button question

4 posters

Go down

fast track button question Empty fast track button question

Post  artrix Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:55 pm

Hi just a fast question regards the fast track button cable that plugs into the control box on a 4500.
I bought my machine assembled and I am wanting to unplug the fast track cable does it just pull straight out? It may sound like a dumb question but I would rather sound dumb than pull it out when it needs to be twisted and stuff it up.
cheers

artrix
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 442
Registration date : 2009-12-16

Back to top Go down

fast track button question Empty Re: fast track button question

Post  Harb Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:01 am

yeah it does pull straight out, but they can be hard as anything..... they sort of have a plastic hump and grove fitting that is tight as all buggery....... keep pulling but do not twist as you may break it....
I would give it an ever so ever slight rocking motion while you do it.
Harb
Harb
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 720
Registration date : 2010-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post  artrix Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:30 am

thanx Harb cheers

artrix
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  nero_design Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:22 am

Harb is dead on. It's VERY hard to unplug this cable on each and every 4500 that I've assembled. There's never been a single one that had a loose connection. The plug has three tiny pins plus an extrusion to prevent it from being twisted. The best method I've found is to firmly grip the plug at the base (where it joins onto the control box). There's no way to turn it due to a plastic extrusion on the cable that fits into a slot on the tiny socket (which is fitted to the control box) and the three tiny connector pins ...so don't try that. Just pull it straight back WITHOUT twisting.

Cheers,

M
nero_design
nero_design
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2081
Registration date : 2008-11-18

Back to top Go down

Post  artrix Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:59 am

Thanx for your reply marco .... do you think repeated removal of the plug would eventually cause failure of the plug?
I recently read a post on using a m/bike to get around and it got me thinking about using my klr 650 as a means of getting far from the madding crowd...I was looking at disasembly prior to packing in a foam lined top box.

artrix
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  nero_design Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:12 pm

artrix wrote:Thanx for your reply marco .... do you think repeated removal of the plug would eventually cause failure of the plug?
I recently read a post on using a m/bike to get around and it got me thinking about using my klr 650 as a means of getting far from the madding crowd...I was looking at disasembly prior to packing in a foam lined top box.

No, I don't think it would fail. But I think it's hard enough to unplug it as it is. My biggest worry is some sort of stress on the connection end of the QuickTrak cable in the wires running into the connector... since they're obviously very thin and also because you usually have to work hard to release it. It's an expensive part to replace so I'm always cautious when I try to remove them. Motorbikes can rattle these detectors although they do make them to withstand a lot of abuse.

That box sounds like it would be good. You could always buy a water-sealed Pelican Hard Case with foam lining ( http://www.equipmentgear.com.au/pelican/1768-1450-case.html ) although this means a full reassembly each time you stop to use the detector. I'd prefer to have the rear of the detector completely assembled and ready to snap onto the forward shaft. I'm currently in the process of wrapping all my coil shafts and cables in a thin, latex military webbing tape to prevent vibration and damage during transit and use.

All the best!

M.
nero_design
nero_design
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2081
Registration date : 2008-11-18

Back to top Go down

Post  artrix Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:05 pm

Yes I had assumed the vibration would be an issue so I was looking at packing the control box into smaller foam box and carrying it on my back in a back pack, much less vibation there than on the back of the bike. I have travelled around a lot on the bike and you could definately get away from it all easier on it than in a 4wd.

artrix
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:22 pm

Hi Atrix, personally I'd just disconnect lower shaft/coil from top shaft and carry it in two pieces rather than complete disassembly. You'd get the shirts very quickly pulling it apart all the time.

They are pretty hardy really, I've lost count of how many times I've had to quickly exit the quad on a rockly hill side and the detector has been jetisoned.
A good quality padded control box cover will absorb most bumps and bruises and as much as pulling the quick track cable out is a P I T A, I'd think the less amount of time you do it the better. With mine and most I've seen usually tape the cable up the shaft til about the last inch or so before the plug.

Back to top Go down

Post  artrix Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:50 pm

Yes madtuna I think you may be right I will leave well enough alone and leave the plug in.
cheers
Dave

artrix
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:59 am

Gday Atrix

Why dont you just unscrew the handle from the shaft and leave the wire plugged in to the control box?, there is usually no issue with taking the plug out from time to time but if you are going to do it often then it may get damaged.

I have seen them damaged when someone has tried to get it out and twisted it from side to side and managed to break it, a combination of a gentle pulling pressure and very slight rocking from side to side seems to do the trick.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Post  artrix Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:54 am

Thanks stayyerAU Thats not a bad idea
cheers

artrix
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  ManxDan Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:25 am

Phew,I thought there was a fault with mine (until i read this post) and was really worried about damaging the connection. I agree the gentle pulling action and gentle side to side way seems to work.
I'll be leaving it plugged in untill my flight to perth, then the control box is going in my hand luggage and the rest of the machine is going in the main baggage.
I'd prefer to leave the handle attached and wire plugged in as you suggest Stayer, but imagine security at the airport, Hmm.... a suspicious box of wires with a handle and trigger attached Shocked
ManxDan
ManxDan
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2010-01-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:48 am

Hi Manxdan

Yeah that would be my luck, get locked up at the airport on suspicion of carrying a bomb and spend the duration of my holiday locked up rather than prospecting fast track button question Icon_mad

I would be sure to mention it for them to look at it up front though, dont try and hide it as that will make them edgy when they see it with the xray gear, the other thing to do is perhaps post it here ahead of you to save any dramas.

Also I believe that they are not too fond of the lithium batteries, probably because they can explode, and wont put them on the plane, so you may want to look into that before you go too, you might have to hire one when you get here.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Post  ManxDan Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:55 am

Hi Stayer

Thanks for the advice. I've looked up the rules on carrying Lithium ion batteries on planes. Putting them in the hold luggage is totally banned, apparently,when these batteries do explode ,which is unlikely but possible, they go off in a big way. In the hand luggage is ok up to a certain size of battery, but can be at the discretion of the airline, So they could confiscate it.
I know they're not cheap but think I'll be leaving the battery at home and getting a new one on arrival, Could post it home as a spare at the end of the trip. (overland postage only)
Hope this helps anybody else thinking of bringing their detector on a plane
ManxDan
ManxDan
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2010-01-23

Back to top Go down