Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12 Volt Minelab 5000

3 posters

Go down

12 Volt Minelab 5000 Empty 12 Volt Minelab 5000

Post  Hartcore1 Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:05 am

Is anyone aware of any GPX5000 being a 12 volt system? Everybody else talks about 7.2-7.4 volt systems. I know it sounds strange, but mine is a 12 volt system. I took apart my original battery and found 3 Lithium Ion batteries running in series reading 4.18- 4.19 volts each for a total of 12.57 volts. My manual says 7.4 - 8.4 volts. I took 1 Lithium out of the circuit. My control box then shows a battery with low power and a reading saying 0% battery power remaining. This is on 8.3 volts. My unit came with a European style charging adaptor that puts out 12.3 volts. My detector has all three Genuine Minelab security seals. On the control box, Detector head and also on the box it came in. The toggle switches are 3 position and not two as some counterfeits have. A friend of mine that has a ML5K thinks it is the real deal, but is also confused about the power. It runs normal at 12 volts and gives me low battery at 8.3 volts. Should I split the difference? I ordered 25 Panasonic 3.7 volt Lion batteries and a few 5 pin connectors so I can make custom mod batteries.
Anyone there who has seen this problem before?

Hartcore1

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2013-10-11

Back to top Go down

12 Volt Minelab 5000 Empty Re: 12 Volt Minelab 5000

Post  Guest Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:47 am

If you purchased it new from a Minelab dealer then take it back and question them and also Minelab about it. If you modify it your self you will void the warranty.

All the batterys should be 8 Lithium cells 2 in series and 4 pairs then in parrallel.

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  deutran Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:01 pm

Hi Hartcore1
This is very unusual,maybe you can check the menu items as they are often incorrect in non-genuine detectors.
Steve
deutran
deutran
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2009-09-26

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:54 am

G;day Hartcore1,Welcome to the forum.

First of all,there should be 4 batteries either side of your battery box circuit board. As Dave stated,only 2 batteries are in series,the other 6 are joined in parallel configuration,in order to give you the Amp/hours run time,a total of 8 single Li-Ion 3.7-4.2v cells.The volts measured between each individual cell of,4.18 to 4.19 is that of a fully charged individual cell and all cells checked individually (one at a time) should come up with pretty much the same voltage readings.If you found only three batteries in your control box connected in series giving you 12+volts coming out of your battery power socket,then it cant be an original Minelab GPX 5000 Battery box. Nothing makes sense here.By the way as Deutran stated,did your machine function properly in the first place?,for it be under warranty (if new) and there'd be no need to fix or repair anything,apart from bringing it back to the dealer you purchased it from.That's if he's still there and hasn't vacated the premisses?

Cheers Kon.What a Face
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down