Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

transport advice

4 posters

Go down

transport advice Empty transport advice

Post  ManxDan Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:26 am

Hi folks, my visit to WA is getting a bit nearer now and I'm trying to decide what to do about transport. I'll be flying into Perth then meeting up in Kalgoorlie with a couple who've kindly invited me to tag along on the understanding I have my own transport. My trip is for 7 weeks. I've looked into renting a vehicle but it's really expensive. So, my thoughts at the moment are to get a flight from Perth to Kal and buy a motor there. Then, depending on where I end up after the 7 weeks, possibly drive back to Perth and sell.
The danger of this is being stuck with the motor and having to loose out big time to get rid of it Rolling Eyes
So, any suggestions would be welcome, and does anyone know of a place in Perth where travelers gather to buy and sell motors?
Thanks
Dan.
ManxDan
ManxDan
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2010-01-23

Back to top Go down

transport advice Empty Re: transport advice

Post  Guest Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:21 am

Hi Dan
Only a thought,Find a place in Perth that Auctions Cars,By a reliable cheapy, use it and take it back to Auction
Cheers Dig

Back to top Go down

Post  gollstar Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:01 pm

Use a cheapy ? just make sure youve got spare tyres, plenty of petrol and WATER, food, sat phone, now i dont want to offend you but you need to be prepared for the trip, it does seem alot of people are comming over and getting themselves lost or need to be rescued, worst case if you break a leg somewhere you could perish also watch out for snakes and spiders this country is like no other on earth for natures less charming creatures everything seems to bite ive been comming across many scorpians over here i dunno if there in the west or if they have a nasty sting but they do give a threat display anyway have a safe trip and please dont go and buy a 4wd only because its cheap as chips,

You can look on the trading post from where you are and look at second hand 4wd there ive noticed that the Ford explorer and the jeep cherokee are entry level 4wd price wise they are both yank made if anyone could explain why those two 4wd drive are bargains would save me starting a new thread im gueesing parts replacement as i would like to buy a Ford explorer, also another thing if buying out of trading post you can get the racv or wa's equivilent to check the car over for you may $100 well worth it
gollstar
gollstar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 697
Registration date : 2009-04-15

Back to top Go down

Post  granite2 Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:27 pm

Don't try buying a car in Kal, they are much cheaper in Perth. Dont even think about a 4X4 get a station wagon in good condition then you can sleep in it as well as carry more gear. You don't need a 4X4 in WA unless it rains and then it doesn't matter if you have a 4X4 cos' you won't be going anywhere in that either.

Cheers, and good luck, Jim
granite2
granite2
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1829
Registration date : 2009-10-12

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:37 pm

Dan, that Tarago you had last trip would also get you most places and like the station wagon Jim mentioned, you'll fit in a load of gear and room to sleep.
They can be had relatively cheap, who cares if it's got a bit of rust and a few dings as long as it is road worthy and reliable mechanically plus a couple of months rego.
Cheap accomodation and transport all in one. When you're ready to fly home, either leave it at the airport or flog it off to a wreckers for $100.00 or so.

or... roll it off a cliff, video it and upload it to youtube and post the link! Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  hoolahoopa Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:41 pm

As granite said don't buy a car in Kal have a look in Perth much cheaper. Trust me i live in Kal,as the others have said a 4x4 is not necessary a van or station wagon would be perfect but chose something you know parts are easy to come by.
When the time comes to get rid of her you can leave it with me transport advice Icon_biggrin transport advice Icon_biggrin

hoolahoopa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 280
Registration date : 2009-04-14

Back to top Go down

Post  ManxDan Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:38 am

Cheers Dig, that's a good idea about the auction as I wouldn't need to waste time at the end of the trip trying to sell and should at least get something back.

Gollstar, no offence taken. I understand your concern and thanks for the tips but I will have all of the essential safety equipment. I'm lucky to be tagging along with some experienced prospectors, Who, despite hardly knowing me have invited me to join them.
The vehicle check is certainly worth $100 if it spots a serious problem.

Madtuna, yes, the tarrago did us proud on the tourist trail, if I can pick up something as reliable I'll be happy. We did lose out when we sold it but it was a great motor.

I'm glad I took the time to ask as I was about to book a flight straight from Perth to kal, I had guessed cars might be more expensive there so thanks to all for confirming.
I had been thinking about a station wagon and have priced a few up, so station wagon it is Very Happy

What make and model is easiest to get spares for and how many spare wheels should be carried?

Cheers, Dan.
ManxDan
ManxDan
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:44 am

Hi Dan
Holden Commodore or Ford Falcon Are the most common of the wagons.Late eighties onward.Spares 2 minumum.When first goes flat ,go no further out and head to town on next resupply to get fixed.Checkout Perth Auto auctions online.The ones that sell exGovt cars might be a bit exxy.Check Tradingpost online this will give you an idea of retail car prices.A reliable cheap wagon is worth around $3000 to $4000.You should be able to get at least $1000 off at auction.If you can buy wholesale it easier to get your money back
Cheers Dig

Back to top Go down

Post  ManxDan Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:02 pm

Cheers Dig, found the online Auction near Perth airport. There's a few wagons and I can get a good idea of what's available. Very useful thanks. Dan.
ManxDan
ManxDan
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down