Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Deep settings gpx 4500

+4
Nightjar
nurnur
Jonathan Porter
nero_design
8 posters

Go down

Deep settings gpx 4500 Empty Deep settings gpx 4500

Post  Guest Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:19 am

Gday

Now that the gpx 4500 has been out in the field for awhile has anybody found what they believe to be the best settings used to maximise its depth capability, as a newby to the 4500 I am yet to fully understand the mind boggling array of setting available on the thing.

Its quite a step up from the gp to the gpx series detectors, and I think that the more information you can get the better, as I would much prefer to know the do's and dont's, especially the settings that should be avoided!

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Deep settings gpx 4500 Empty Re: Deep settings gpx 4500

Post  nero_design Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:30 pm

Hey there stayyerAU,
I'm not sure where you are located but I think the GPX-4500 comes with a one-day-lesson these days.
Those in NSW buying one can obtain their lesson at Hill End. One chap quite recently found a 1.5 ouncer on his first day and I believe it might have been during his actual lesson (LOL!). Of those who have been to the training day, ten users reported that they found gold on their first day.

The manual is VERY useful so be sure to read through the settings. Start off in Factory Preset and set your detector up for the sort of hunting you intend to pursue. If you find something, switch to the "patch" setting so you can explore the region more carefully. There's a slew of new setting on the 4500 that make it easy to use if you are new. Don't make the mistake many others make by turning the sensitivity right up to try to get more depth at the cost of stability. Check out the chapter on Tracking Speed (page 76) of your manual which is fairly important.

Your biggest puzzle ought to be which coil to use. The coil that the GPX-4500 ships with here in Australia is an 11" Double D Commander Coil which means you can use it on hot soils and it has fairly effective discrimination for iron (unless the iron is deep). This is a VERY good multi purpose coil that is useful in so many conditions and soil types. It's also very sensitive to smaller gold. It can be switched to what people here are referring to as a "pseudo monoloop coil" which means that with the flick of a switch, the coil acts as a mono loop coil (in this case the left hand side becomes active as a partial-monoloop). But it's considered to be the perfect coil for most users. Those exploring salt lakes and Western Australian flat-lands will do well with a larger coil that is ideal for extra deep targets on flat surfaces.

But to get more depth (which everyone wants), you will need to look at an additional coil. The settings on the detector will stabilize the coils and make the unit run smoother (including the Monoloops which were noisier on other models) but more performance will require the use of an additional coil at some stage. The larger coils will give you more depth than the default 11" coil. Previously, a monoloop used to get a lot of noise but the new detectors now manage to quiet them down on mineralized soils so that they're a pleasure to use. Whilst you can't discriminate the same way with a monoloop as you can with a Double D, you'll get noticeably deeper ground penetration with a monoloop than using a similar sized Double D. That's why they're so popular with nugget hunters.

The things to watch for (the DON'T list) are as follows:
* ALWAYS turn the unit off before disconnecting or re-connecting any coils.
* Don't EVER bother turning the unit on inside a building. The GPX-4500 is (like the GPX-4000 & GPs') far too sensitive to be used near electrical power cables, florescent lights or similar interference.
* The stock coil is not waterproof but it can handle light rain. Don't immerse the coil in a creek as the added pressure could cause water to be forced past the seals.
* Don't leave the unit in your car if on a hot day.
* Never leave your detector (or operating manual) visible in your vehicle. Wearing club stickers (if you are in a detecting group) will attract thieves. Likewise, don't leave Prospecting-related maps in plain view in your car when you are detecting.

Cheers,

Marco
nero_design
nero_design
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2081
Registration date : 2008-11-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan Porter Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:17 pm

Deep settings for the GPX 4500 with a Mono coil.

Motion mode SLOW
Gain 8 (Gain can be increased if conditions allow up to 12)
Stabilizer 8
Timings ENHANCE
Signal 19
GB FIXED
Coil RX DD or MONO
Search Mode GENERAL (I recommend General because the FP's best represent the previous GP range for benchmark purposes)
Target Volume FP for Headphone use, less for speaker
Volume Limit 12 for inbuilt booster with correctly wired speaker or 8 with a B&Z booster or equivalent
Threshold 1 to 2 O'clock
Back light OFF (helps with signal response crispness)

When ground balancing in Enhance timings keep the coil as parallel to the ground as possible, move the coil in small movements (not much more the 30 mm) then hold the coil perfectly still before releasing the Quick Trak button. Do not sweep the coil too fast in these timings, they are or can be very swing dependant, even though the machine sounds very quiet a steady swing speed (DD coil users will adapt to this method very well) is paramount for best depth and sensitivity. Keep an ear out for slight repeatable variations in response as these can more often than herald deep nuggets.

Hope this helps

JP

PS for outright depth with the GPX platform Normal timings are preferred, this will give equivalent performance to a 3500 with the added advantage of adjustability on things like Gain, Stabilizer, Motion etc
PPS I have 2 x training DVDs (2 x 2 disc sets) on the GPX range which go into great depths on how to get the best out of the detectors.
Jonathan Porter
Jonathan Porter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 801
Registration date : 2008-11-25

http://www.theoutbackprospector.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:40 am

Gday Marco and JP

Thanks for the feedback, Jp would those settings be more suitable for the Eastern states golfields or Wa goldfields? or good for any type of conditions?

Thanks

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan Porter Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:16 am

Those settings can be used anywhere mineralisation is a problem.

JP
Jonathan Porter
Jonathan Porter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 801
Registration date : 2008-11-25

http://www.theoutbackprospector.com.au

Back to top Go down

Deep settings gpx 4500 Empty gpx 4500

Post  nurnur Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:29 pm

hi to all
i just want to know, how can i make the Iron reject ''on'' instead of ''off''

nurnur
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2009-12-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:13 am

Morning Nurnur,
The last option on the digital read out is "Iron Reject", scroll down to this position then using the right hand "Settings" switch rotate to the level of rejection you want.

Peter
Nightjar
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2689
Registration date : 2008-10-25

https://l.instagram.com/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fusr%2Fka

Back to top Go down

Deep settings gpx 4500 Empty deep settings

Post  buck06 Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:14 pm

hi stayer normal timings are the deepest settings you can get on the 4500, with a larger coil but you have to adjust your gain etc too get it to run some where near smooth. jp is on the money enhance good momo coil get the 45 to run smooth and listen for those nice sweet sounds and balance a far bit to keep the45 in seek with the ground you are on . good hunting you will luv it real quick Deep settings gpx 4500 Icon_lol Deep settings gpx 4500 Icon_biggrin
buck06
buck06
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 168
Registration date : 2009-01-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Gold Miner Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:29 pm

Hey guys!
I had a bit of a debate this evening with a fella who has a 4500.
He has some ground he has found that is very trashy, I said what coil are you using, he says he always uses a mono....
I said, get a DD and discriminate, you never know what you could find......
He says, I've done the discriminate setting with the mono and get bugger all......

This is where the fun starts!!!!!!!

I say, how can you discriminate ferrous objects with a mono coil????

He says, the 4500 can........

I say, whatever...but nooooo...

He says, ya dunno what ya talking aboot!!!

Anyway, sorry to revisit an old thread, but.....

Gold Miner
Gold Miner
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 648
Registration date : 2012-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:08 am

G'day Gold Miner,

You are right as far as Discrimination with a Mono is concerned. Some people just don't understand you can tell them until you are blue in the face. Evil or Very Mad

Cheers.

Mike.

Back to top Go down

Post  Gold Miner Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:12 am

Cheers Mike, is there a mono discrim setting on the 4500 though???
Gold Miner
Gold Miner
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:33 am

GM,
Discrimination can not be used with mono coils.
Nightjar
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Gold Miner Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:54 pm

Hey NJ Howsit going mate,
I appreciate that you need a DD for any discrim to take place, but this fella seemed to be indicating that there was a mono discrim in the 4500's settings... as I dont have a 4500, the debate kinda stopped there, because I simply didn't understand!
Gold Miner
Gold Miner
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:35 pm

G'day G.M,

There is only 1 discrim setting and it only works when using a DD coil. Sometimes you can tell what a target is by the sound the target is making, but is not a real test. I have dug a horse shoe nail and then got an identical sound, which turned out to be an 8 grm nuggy. scratch Hope this helps when you next in counter another debate as above.

Cheers.

Mike.

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:28 pm

Actually, you can Disc using a mono coil on a 4500.

Discriminate.....lets look at this word a little before i reveal the truth...lol

Recognize a distinction; differentiate.

If you use Disc with your 4500 and mono coil, it can tell you if the target is close to the coil or not. = distinction. Sound = close proximity...no sound indicates nothing close to the coil. This is a form of Disc. Sound...no sound. = recognize.

If by chance your using your 4500 with mono coil, and you get a sound, this is called Differentiate. Obviously its this because you either have no sound, or have sound. Most of us can Differentiate between sound and no sound.

The fella is correct...all you others are wrong. Embarassed  Razz

T05
Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1885
Registration date : 2008-10-22

http://australiangoldfields.freeforums.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:23 pm

Narrawa wrote:Actually, you can Disc using a mono coil on a 4500.

Discriminate.....lets look at this word a little before i reveal the truth...lol

If you use Disc with your 4500 and mono coil, it can tell you if the target is close to the coil or not. = distinction. Sound = close proximity...no sound indicates nothing close to the coil. This is a form of Disc. Sound...no sound. = recognize.

If by chance your using your 4500 with mono coil, and you get a sound, this is called Differentiate. Obviously its this because you either have no sound, or have sound. Most of us can Differentiate between sound and no sound.

T05

Hmmm sounds like you are switched to the cancel mode there.... Suspect    As this will only pick up sounds that are close to the surface and not hear any deep sounds (using a MONO Coil)

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:40 pm

T05

What ya been smokin mate, I think the fella and you are wrong and all others are correct.

The only thing that represents what you describe is a mono coil in cancel mode. Just sayin

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:12 pm

From the GPX4500 user manual, states that Iron reject (Discrimination) only works with a DD coil and not a Mono coil.
Deep settings gpx 4500 4500_u11

And the same from the GPX5000 user manual, the GPX5000 came supplied with both a DD and a Mono coil, the 4500 only came with a DD coil.
Deep settings gpx 4500 5000_u10

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:33 pm

Well my infinium discs with both Mono and DDs! So There. Na Na Nananaaa T18
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 4328
Registration date : 2015-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:46 pm

adrian ss wrote:Well my infinium discs with both Mono and DDs! So There. Na Na Nananaaa T18

Hey Adrian, next thing you will be telling us it also finds gold. lol! Q41

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:36 pm

The simple answer is NEVER discriminate, dig EVERY target.
Nightjar
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:31 pm

davsgold wrote:

T05

What ya been smokin mate, I think the fella and you are wrong and all others are correct.

The only thing that represents what you describe is a mono coil in cancel mode.  Just sayin

cheers dave
Did you need to be told it must be in cancel.?....kinda thought you'd of known that. Razz

Well my infinium discs with both Mono and DDs! So There. Na Na Nananaaa
Im actually shocked you even mentioned an Infinium..... Shocked ... .can they do anything else.?... T05
Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:47 am

AAAH you blokes, you rearly know how ta hurt a bloke.
But I can tell you that I have not dug a bit of rusty iron for a while now, The finny even IDs twist top bottle caps (after you get the knack) Hmmmmmm Come to think of it, I haven't dug a bit of gold for a while either. Doh!!
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:51 am

adrian ss wrote:AAAH you blokes, you rearly know how ta hurt a bloke.
But I can tell you that I have not dug a bit of rusty iron for a while now, The finny even IDs twist top bottle caps (after you get the knack) Hmmmmmm Come to think of it, I haven't dug a bit of gold for a while either. Doh!!

Good to see a bit of humor without it getting taken the wrong way. Very Happy and I'm glad you can get the "finny" to do somethings the 4500 is not able to do.

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:02 pm

Good to see a bit of humor without it getting taken the wrong way.  Very Happy  and I'm glad you can get the "finny" to do somethings the 4500 is not able to do.
That would be a boat anchor... am i correct.? ...cause..cause its waterproof to 109 fathoms or there abouts. T05
Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:34 pm

Inf is wp to 33.3 fathoms = 200 feet.
I am serious you blokes. The Inf is very good at ID ing a signal  as possibly iron or not gold to the depth of detection.....Inc boat anchors. Although it does have limitations.
It will not tell you if a target IS gold but it will tell you if it is not gold. I am talking about gold nuggs not alloyed gold rings and jewellery.

When looking for gold nuggs The rule for the Inf is very simple.
If a signal diminishes by any amount in Rev Disc you must dig the target.
If the signal does not diminish at all then the signal is Iron. or an iron mineralised hot rock.
If a signal changes from Lo Hi in Norm to Hi Lo in Rev disc. Dig the target.
If the signal is Lo Hi in Norm and a diminished Lo Hi in Rev disc. Dig the target.
Large gold nuggs give a Lo Hi tone in Norm and Rev disc.
Small (0.15 to 10g approx) nuggs give a Hi Lo tone in Norm and Hi Lo in rev disc./
Any signal that changes from Lo Hi in Norm to Hi Lo in Rev disc should be investigated.

For those who do the beaches:
If a very strong Hi Lo signal In Norm all but disappears in rev Disc the target is very likely a plated steel twist bottle cap. But on the beach the digging is easy so check it out anyway. What a Face
Digging Hi Lo tones at the beach will give you a high gold ring tally. 9ct to 18ct
Digging Lo Hi tones will give you a high Large sil ring tally along with an occasional large 22ct gold ring.

The only 100% sure way to recover all gold and any other valuable item is to dig all signals no matter which metal detector you may be using.
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Gold Miner Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:31 pm

Mike54 wrote:G'day G.M,

There is only 1 discrim setting and it only works when using a DD coil.  Sometimes you can tell what a target is by the sound the target is making, but is not a real test.  I have dug a horse shoe nail and then got an identical sound, which turned out to be an 8 grm nuggy.   scratch  Hope this helps when you next in counter another debate as above.  

Cheers.  

Mike.  

Thanks Guys!!
Gold Miner
Gold Miner
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:07 pm

adrian ss wrote:
When looking for gold nuggs The rule for the Inf is very simple.

Ah, good... I like simple! Smile

adrian ss wrote:

If a signal diminishes by any amount in Rev Disc you must dig the target.
If the signal does not diminish at all then the signal is Iron. or an iron mineralised hot rock.
If a signal changes from Lo Hi in Norm to Hi Lo in Rev disc. Dig the target.
If the signal is Lo Hi in Norm and a diminished Lo Hi in Rev disc. Dig the target.
Large gold nuggs give a Lo Hi tone in Norm and Rev disc.
Small (0.15 to 10g approx) nuggs give a Hi Lo tone in Norm and Hi Lo in rev disc./
Any signal that changes from Lo Hi in Norm to Hi Lo in Rev disc should be investigated.

For those who do the beaches:
If a very strong Hi Lo signal In Norm all but disappears in rev Disc the target is very likely a plated steel twist bottle cap. But on the beach the digging is easy so check it out anyway. What a Face
Digging Hi Lo tones at the beach will give you a high gold ring tally. 9ct to 18ct
Digging Lo Hi tones will give you a high Large sil ring tally along with an occasional large 22ct gold ring.

pale Neutral Crying or Very sad Embarassed No

Sorry, that doesn't seem so simple to me...

adrian ss wrote:

The only 100% sure way to recover all gold and any other valuable item is to dig all signals no matter which metal detector you may be using.

Yes, this rule is simple! Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum