Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New member from Cockatoo

+5
piston broke
kon61
Back on it
Digginerup
luckysue
9 posters

Go down

New member from Cockatoo Empty New member from Cockatoo

Post  luckysue Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:21 pm

Hi everyone,

I have had numerous interests, obsessions and hobbies over the years and have never had the need or desire to join a forum in relation to the interests, that is until now!! My ancestors caught the gold bug, coming out from England during the gold rush days, living in Castlemaine, while others ventured up to the Walhalla mines. It was a thrill finding their names on the miners lists up there. So now I have more time on my hands and
an x-terra 705 in MY hands I want to chat and meet guys like yourselves who have the same interests. I dragged my poor husband out yesterday to a nearby park to test my abilities with the new x-terra. Picked up bullet casings, car bits, screws and some strange bits of rock that read 42-44, no idea what they are. Anyway I looked forward to making heaps of friends on hear and hopefully meeting up with you on your explorations.

luckysue
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2013-02-16

Back to top Go down

New member from Cockatoo Empty Re: New member from Cockatoo

Post  Digginerup Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:30 pm

Welcome Luckysue, Smile I'm sure there are plenty of 705 owners here with some good advice for you, they seem to be very good at coin and relic type work and are not unkown to find a nugget in the right circumstances,read that manual!!, check the archives for lots of good information, keep those rocks and where you found them to yourself and investigate them further as you learn, sounds like your getting targets so your half way home already and you never know what you may find, be careful hubby doesn't get the bug!!..... he may be dragging you out there next time! Wink

Wayne. cheers
Digginerup
Digginerup
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2399
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Back to top Go down

New member from Cockatoo Empty Cockatoo

Post  Back on it Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:33 pm

Hello lucky Sue.

I grew up around there and you might want to try around the old railway station area. The Puffing Billy was a working railway before my time but I spent a lot of time on the track before it was restored. Also, around the Community center used to be "Old Pop Treloars" property so anywhere around there from the creek back. At the bottom of the hill to the right was the old public pool. Opposite the Community Center was the Hall that was burnt in 1983.

Good Luck

Back on it
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2013-02-10

Back to top Go down

New member from Cockatoo Empty Hi Wayne

Post  luckysue Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:43 pm

Thanks for replying so quickly, Smile) makes me feel welcome. LOL have been practising around the backyard with the 705, have made myself a little chart of Target IDs, I wanted to check that the ones I had found in my research matched the readings from my 705. Woohoo all good so far, I must be doing something right. You mentioned reading the manual, LOL oh that was fun, a whole new language, words and terms I had never seen before, think I have got the general gist of it now. But nowhere in this manual did it give you guidelines on how to keep your balance on a steep hill whilst holding the 705, wiping sweat from your face and frantically waving your spare hand around to ward off the march flies. No shorts next time!! I thought I had gone prepared, aerogaurd, water etc but it wasn't enough.

Thanks for the advice, I am doing what you suggested... reading archives. As far as the rocks I found, they are a puzzle, one reads 28 and the other 42 -44.
Hubby is so good, he prefers to play in the bush with his 4wd, cant see him wanting to repeat yesterdays experience unless he drops me in the bush and goes driving. Lets hope he remembers to pick me up before going home.

Great chatting with you Smile

Suzanne

luckysue
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

New member from Cockatoo Empty Hi back on it

Post  luckysue Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:51 pm

Hi,

As I said to Wayne, thanks for replying so quickly. It is fantastic to hear from someone that has lived in Cockatoo. I have done some research on the gold found around here down on the Worri Yallock creek, I live in Terara street which is off Mountain road, so not far from the creek.You mentioned looking around the railway station and near the Community center. I am familar with that area as I get my books from the mobile library which parks there, next to the bowling green. If I am standing with my back to the shops and looking west I can see the creek. So you suggest that area, cool Smile) One question is it okay for me to detect there?
Where and when did you live in Cockatoo? I have been here for 13 years, Monbulk before that.

Suzanne

luckysue
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

New member from Cockatoo Empty Cockatoo

Post  Back on it Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:02 pm

Sue,

The creeks are only good for fine gold and tin panning. Best to head for the coin and relic areas. I was there as a kid but was in there during the 83 fires with the forestry. I know the road that you live on. We had a house that was on the way there from town but before you turn onto Woori Rd.
I think that the change area was on the wetern side of the creek.
Try to talk to the bloke at the top of Main St shops in the house. Alan. Tell him Gary said to ask him about some older places there. I think that he also had a detector in the early days as well. He was at a family funeral just after xmas if he wants to know which Gary.

Good luck

Back on it
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2013-02-10

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:38 pm

Welcome to the forum Suzanne. cheers What a Face

Cheers kon61.
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

New member from Cockatoo Empty fellow cockatooian :) Gary

Post  luckysue Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:12 am

Hi again Gary,
It must have been devastating for you back in '83, I remember that day vividly, my ex husband and I had just bought property in Upwey and I was in hospital, my son had been born that morning and I was watching the sort rain down all the way down in Moorrabbin. Terrible day!!! Now here I am living in Cockatoo next to 30 acres of scrubby bush, sure you know it, its between our property and Rainy hill road. Anyway back to your suggestion to speak to Allan, did you realise his house is up for sale. I will have a chat with him tomorrow, thanks for the contact. I am wondering if you know the answer to this, can I detect in Bunyip State park? I have searched and searched all the relevant sites, now have a list of all the National parks I can and cant detect in but Bunyip ...hmmm can't find an answer. I imagine being a State park I would be allowed but need to know before I go wandering around up there.
After I chat with Allan I might take a look around the creek, hehee let you know what I find.

Thanks again Laughing

luckysue
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  piston broke Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:17 am

Welcome Suzanne Very Happy it's great to have you on board. cheers Pete.

ps Have a crack at loading a picture of your finds, they would be cool to see.
piston broke
piston broke
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1633
Registration date : 2011-05-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:52 am

Hi Suzanne,
Check here and if you dont find your answer ring some of the Park rangers in that area: (hope you got a miners rights)

http://www.dpi.vic.gov.au/earth-resources/exploration-and-mining/prospecting-and-fossicking/faqs

You can also find some old info here:
http://trove.nla.gov.au/

Just type the area you interested in and you might get some interesting articles.

GoldEN

Back to top Go down

New member from Cockatoo Empty Hi Golden

Post  luckysue Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:11 pm

Thanks for the info golden, I did email Parks Victoria last night, so waiting on a reply from them. Yes Very Happy : I do have the miners rights, even purchased one for the reluctant husband just in case he does decide to come out with me. Checking the trove site as we speak, I remember using this site a lot when I was doing our family history, dug up a few bits of information that didn't impress some family members.

Thanks again.

Sue

luckysue
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

New member from Cockatoo Empty hi kon61

Post  luckysue Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:34 pm

Hi Kon61,
Thanks for the welcome, I think I am going a bit loopy as I am sure I replied to your welcome last night. confused lol!

I look forward to chatting with you and other members Smile)
Cheers

Sue

luckysue
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:28 am

G'day and welcome to the forum.. Very Happy .. Hope you have good luck with your 705 looking forward to hear of your adventures.

Cheers.

Mike. cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  getascripter Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:25 am

Did I hear someone mention "only good for panning"? Panning? Panning? Where? Gotta go find it .... Laughing

G'day luckysue, and welcome to the forum. I'm Kate from SA ... but I do most of my 'hunting' in VIC. A bit of detecting, and some panning & highbanking too! Nice ta meet ya! Hope to catch up one day ... panning? gold? gotta find it, gotta find it!! affraid What a Face lol!
getascripter
getascripter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1900
Registration date : 2012-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post  TTT Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:00 pm

Hi luckysue welcome to the forum you live down the hill from i am in Emerald I was born in Emerald then lived in Cockatoo for 25 years on Pakenham rd now i live back in Emerald now a little info for you the top of Bailey rd where fourth fifth and sixth avenue are there are some diggings up there as i opened the area up with a tractor and slasher about 1987 but i would say there would be a lot of junk there was to gold there i don t know if any was found will keep in touch cheers Terry

TTT
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 419
Registration date : 2012-05-28

Back to top Go down

New member from Cockatoo Empty Hi Terry

Post  luckysue Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:38 pm

Hi Terry,
Great to hear from another member in the area Very Happy

Interesting information about fourth, fifth and sixth avenues, if there was gold there I wonder if there is any in Wright's Forest? Does anyone detect around those avenues or is it not allowed. Still trying to get my head around the areas I am allowed to detect in. I received a message from Slagheap informing me that it is illegal to detect in Bunyip State Park so that's off my list LOL. I am planning a trip up to Dunolly on the weekend, let you know how I go. Hell of a long way to go, that's why I had hoped there was something closer. Oh well!! We should get together sometime to do some detecting, at least I will feel confident in the fact that you know the local areas where it is legal to detect. Talk soon. sunny
Cheers Sue

luckysue
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

New member from Cockatoo Empty Hi Kate from SA

Post  luckysue Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:41 pm

Hi Kate ,

I was beginning to wonder if I was the only woman on this site lol! Would love to catch up with you next time you are in Victoria, good luck with that panning Smile)

Cheers

Sue

luckysue
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

New member from Cockatoo Empty Mike 54

Post  luckysue Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:44 pm

Hi Mike, and thank you for the welcome. Smile

MY adventures may be few and far between unless I can get this husband of mine interested enough to come out with me lol! No fun doing it alone.

Take care

Sue

luckysue
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

New member from Cockatoo Empty Hi piston broke

Post  luckysue Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:45 pm

Hi Pete, thanks for the welcome, looking forward to more chats with you and other members.

cheers
Sue

luckysue
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  TTT Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:41 am

hi Sue i always travel away from the area to detect normally go to Heathcote or near Tarnagulla it s a bit of a pain having to travel so far but if you enjoy being out in the bush looking for that golden stuff and other goodies that is the fun good luck at Dunolly on the weekend i m hoping to go to Heathcote Saturday if i can organise i don t have to work cheers Terry

TTT
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 419
Registration date : 2012-05-28

Back to top Go down

Post  thelion Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:59 am

Doing some hunting and came across this, wondering if this is the Police paddocks on the Dandenong Creek between Dandenong and Scoresby!

"Gold was discovered at Emerald in November 1858 and news of the find
> brought some 60 miners hastening to the district at a time when the
> remainder of the existing Shire was populated by a few timber workers
> and pastoralists living in the foothills. Five months later one
> thousand people were living on the "Dandenong goldfield" at Emerald.
> By 1861 only 52 miners remained with 52 more engaged on the "Nicholson
> and Brittania" diggings some half a mile downstream."
> "Narre Warren North is generally regarded as being the site of the
> original settlement of Narree Worran. However Robert Hoddle's
> composite plan of 1854 bears (sic) the words "Nerre Nerre Warrene" on
> the site now known as the Dandenong Police Paddocks. Thus the
original
> Narre Warren was located on the site of the present Police Paddocks.
> Later, when a township sprang up on the borders of this Government
> reservation, the name Narree Worran was transferred to the township."
> It appears that when the original cattle "runs" were subdivided and
> allotments taken up by selectors during 1870 and 1880s, they were
> gradually cleared of timber and scrub and land was used for grazing
and
> dairying. No mention at this time of crops, etc.
>
> Anyone want any more?

thelion
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2013-02-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Gold digger J Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:10 pm

Hi luckysue your x-terra 705 will find you gold there is no problem with that as my brother and I brought one about 12 months ago when out looking around your area as we grew up there and thought there has to be gold in the hills and found a nugget first time out , lost our mines and up graded two days later to gpx5000 x2 .since then we have found a lot of nuggets I mean a lot , the rocks you are talking about mite be hot rocks unless they are quarts or ironstore rocks then smash them up with a hammer there will be gold in there if your not shore on what they look like just google them and look at the photos and compare and my advice to get your husband into it take him where the gold is try places like amhurst -talbot very good and find where it hasn't been dug to much the bushy the better Smile if he finds the gold watch out you will lose your detector Smile just keep swing slow and low it's all about luck on the day somedays you hit it somedays ya just miss it. if you can find a lead bullet your doing it right the next one mite be yellow .

Gold digger J
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2013-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:14 pm

G'day Gold digger J and welcome to the forum. Very Happy . Some good advise you have given there. Q15 Hope to hear some of your gold detecting adventures in the near future. Q31 On board.

Cheers.

Mike. Q39

Back to top Go down

Post  Gold digger J Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:35 pm

Mike54 wrote:G'day Gold digger J and welcome to the forum. Very Happy . Some good advise you have given there. Q15 Hope to hear some of your gold detecting adventures in the near future. Q31 On board.

Cheers.

Mike. Q39
how ya going mike54 thanks for the welcome buddy ,I only try to help with what I have work out my self countless hours in the golden fields Smile and now iv worked out the gold game just be out there and swing well I will be hitting it tomorrow hope I find some yellow I will let the ppl know how I go .

Gold digger J
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2013-04-08

Back to top Go down