Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Am i missing gold with a DD coil?

5 posters

Go down

Am i missing gold with a DD coil? Empty Am i missing gold with a DD coil?

Post  sebtones Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:34 pm

Hi all, i'm currently in my old hometown in NSW helping my mum with some stuff and i'm hoping to fit in as much prospecting as i can while i'm here(indefinite at this stage).
The town is built around a huge hill with open cut goldmines(was once the biggest pick and shovel open cut in Oz until it was reopened in the '90's) and there is plenty of old alluvial diggings within walking distance from my house.
I have a Minelab GP3500 with a Commander 11"DD coil, the day before yesterday i found a nice little 2grammer but other than that i've only found several bullets(all at lesss than 2" deep) and a mild dose of sunstroke from checking some quartz wash out at a mates farm yesterday(close to a couple of old goldmine shafts, will be investigating there further aswell)but no more gold as of yet.
Anyway, i feel as if i may be walking over alot of the good stuff with the DD and missing out on finds that a Mono coil would detect, i've never used one(was going to buy one a while back but then the funds where needed elsewhere) so i'm only going by what i've read and all the vids i've seen on the subject.
Would you guys recommend that i invest in a Mono coil and would i be increasing my chances with one? Unfortunately would be only a cheaper used one at this stage but obviously if it does fill my gold jar then its money well spent! Or alternatively, should i just stick with my DD and keep trying with it?
I do know that i need to slow down, i've got a bad habit of rushing from spot to spot and trying to cover as much ground as possible. I'm in no hurry so i reckon if i map out the areas and methodically do a section daily i should do better. Theres been detectorists here in the past(can see their holes in the mullock heaps) but i've dug several old bullets already and theres also a ton of old-timers ferrous junk so i reckon theres still some virgin ground here.
Thanks for any help guys
BTW, if anyone is selling a 14"+ mono coil for around the $2-250 mark please drop me a line, cheers.
sebtones
sebtones
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2012-07-29

Back to top Go down

Am i missing gold with a DD coil? Empty Re: Am I missing Gold with a DD

Post  sandy2010 Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:43 pm

Hi Seb,
I will lend you a 8" (20cm) mono if you pay registered post both ways.
Cheers.

sandy2010
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 821
Registration date : 2010-06-25

Back to top Go down

Am i missing gold with a DD coil? Empty Re: Am i missing gold with a DD coil?

Post  sebtones Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:00 pm

Gday Terry, thats a great offer mate and i really appreciate it but i reckon its a bit too risky atm(if it got lost, stolen or broken it would be a real PITA!) and i've got alot of ground to cover so i really need something bigger. I wish i'd held onto the 18" DD i got off ya but it was too large for where i was prospecting at the time and wasn't getting used.
Again i really appreciate your trust mate, all the best!
sebtones
sebtones
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2012-07-29

Back to top Go down

Post  joe82 Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:39 pm

gday mate, im in the same boat with dd coils and still think they are good in the own way; and low and slow is the go, if you have fond one bit there will be more it might be 5 mtrs away ,it might be 500 a good gridding sit up should help I use a 4000 and has worked for me, cheers and good luck!

joe82
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1156
Registration date : 2013-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post  pilbarachad Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:11 pm

Hey mate,

I run a GP extreme and use both monos and double D's-ive got to say my success is about equal with both, I generally try an run a mono where I can but often find it a bit noisy- so I guess it depends on the ground conditions where you swing??? No point running a mono if its noisy as hell.

Anyway ive got an older style spoked nugget finder mono, (cant remember if its 14" or 16" though) that is surplus to my needs- PM me if you want to make an offer Very Happy and we can work something out.

pilbarachad
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 130
Registration date : 2011-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post  joe82 Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:14 am

im over in north gueensland, a nother good thing I have found with my dd is the powerline drama I can switch to cancel and work right up to them as a mono goes spack at about 200 meters away ( in some cases)

joe82
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1156
Registration date : 2013-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:52 pm

This is where common sense prevails here.Where ever the ground allows a mono coil to be used successfully,then it is the preferred choice over a DD due to having greater depth and sensitivity to positive targets,over a similar sized dd coil. As the ground gets hotter or higher in mineralization,the reverse starts taking affect. Both coils lose depth over hot ground,with the mono becoming more noisier and unstable than its equivalent dd brother,to the point of drowning out any possibility of hearing those faint deep target signals,over the surrounding ground noise.This is where the dds shine and come into play concerning ground balance,threshold stability,and clarity of signal over a positive target,as compared to the surrounding ground noise,caused by mineralization. As far as I'm concerned,if one seeks to hear those faint weak or deep positive signals when working over highly mineralized ground,forget about dumbing down ones machine,via the gain,when in Sensitive smooth,Enhance or Fine gold timing,but whack on your dds instead and get to understand what they're truly capable of.

Cheers Kon.cheers
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down