Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

N/F COIL - TRIMMING THE LEAD

Go down

N/F COIL - TRIMMING THE LEAD Empty N/F COIL - TRIMMING THE LEAD

Post  Guest Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:19 am

Hi All,

Just a quick question, I am referring to a 16inch white N/F mono S/L coil. The lead is far to long and requires multiple wraps round the shaft to get it out of the way. After nearly tripping in the excess lead the other day I want to give it a short back and sides hair cut and hopefully trim the lead back to an acceptable length. My question is, will my trimming it back interfere with the performance of the coil given that the lead will be considerable shorter? I intend to just resolder the connections back to their original position.

Thanks in advance

Back to top Go down

N/F COIL - TRIMMING THE LEAD Empty N/F COIL - TRIMMING THE LEAD

Post  shandeemax Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:31 am

Hi Ray,
I wouldn't do it mate! My understanding is that trimming the lead will change the induction characteristics of the coil & could seriously affect the performance of coil/machine. I think if you have equipment to re-tune the coil after trimming & know what you're doing it would be ok

Probably one of the electronic gurus might be able to do it for you??

Cheers Andy
shandeemax
shandeemax
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 149
Registration date : 2008-10-24

Back to top Go down

N/F COIL - TRIMMING THE LEAD Empty Re: N/F COIL - TRIMMING THE LEAD

Post  Guest Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:58 am

I was led to believe the same as Andy...but then you can buy a coil lead extention

Back to top Go down

N/F COIL - TRIMMING THE LEAD Empty PI Coil Cable length

Post  Guest Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:02 pm

Raymondj.

You can shorten or lengthen the coil cable of a VLF machine without much trouble but if you do the same to a PI detector Coil Cable, the cable capcitance and impedance can change enough to alter the detector timings which could mean the difference between finding and not finding a nugget, if altered by more than or a foot or thereabouts.
I have heard that the cable extensions that were mentioned did cause a few problems with some detectors.

Back to top Go down