Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Panning - how do you do it

+8
fcltd
Fly_Dirt
GoldstalkerGPX
bp77
stevo 444
detecta2
jdnno1
Kon61gold
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Panning  - how do you do it - Page 2 Empty Re: Panning - how do you do it

Post  Guest Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:47 pm

was it dug by hand ? if so no according to the ranger /was it filled in to a contour /was ok by the ranger/ was the said hole reopened by some one else and not filled in ?

Back to top Go down

Post  Fly_Dirt Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:50 pm

As there are different prospecting laws in all States of Australia, it is up to the individual prospector to check the rules and regulations in each State they are prospecting in.
Fly_Dirt
Fly_Dirt
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2008-10-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:06 pm

yes you are correct -- this is for N.S.W.

11 Fossicking(1) A person must not:<blockquote class="Paragraph">(a) fossick for minerals using explosives, power-operated equipment or
any other equipment except hand-held implements, or</blockquote>
<blockquote class="Paragraph">(b) in the course of fossicking for minerals:<blockquote class="Paragraph">(i) excavate or clear any land or waters, or</blockquote>
<blockquote class="Paragraph">(ii) damage any bushrock or remove any bushrock from the site,
or</blockquote>
</blockquote>
<blockquote class="Paragraph">(c) in the course of fossicking for minerals, remove more than:<blockquote class="Paragraph">(i) 25 kilograms of minerals (other than gold or gemstones),
or</blockquote>
<blockquote class="Paragraph">(ii) 50 grams of gold (except where found as nuggets of 10 grams or
greater), or</blockquote>
<blockquote class="Paragraph">(iii) 100 grams of gemstones,</blockquote>
during any single period of 48 hours, or</blockquote>
<blockquote class="Paragraph">(d) fail to replace any soil, rock or other
material that the person has disturbed in the course of fossicking for
minerals.</blockquote>

Maximum penalty: 50 penalty units.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:08 pm

wow and i thought we had it hard in Victoria --N.S.W is tougher by that list Panning  - how do you do it - Page 2 Icon_eek

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:11 pm

can someone tell me how much is a penalty point?

Back to top Go down

Post  Fly_Dirt Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:20 pm

This is for NSW:

Crimes (Sentencing Procedure) Act 1999 No 92
Current version for 9 July 2010 to date (accessed 4 August 2010 at 22:19)

Part 2Panning  - how do you do it - Page 2 Bullet_breadcrumbDivision 4Panning  - how do you do it - Page 2 Bullet_breadcrumbSection 17
<< page >>

17 Penalty units
<BLOCKQUOTE class=FlatParagraph>Unless the contrary intention appears, a reference in any Act or statutory rule to a number of penalty units (whether fractional or whole) is taken to be a reference to an amount of money equal to the amount obtained by multiplying $110 by that number of penalty units.</BLOCKQUOTE>
Fly_Dirt
Fly_Dirt
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2008-10-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:28 pm

1 unit=$110 I believe.

NSW you gotta clean up on site, only minerals or gems can be taken away.
You can take your black sands as they are mostly minerals or gems.Same as Vic I think.

Is that the trench left at Eldorado after the Easter group trip?Heard about it from a local. Panning  - how do you do it - Page 2 Icon_wink

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:35 pm

prospekta wrote:

Is that the trench left at Eldorado after the Easter group trip?Heard about it from a local. Panning  - how do you do it - Page 2 Icon_wink

No it was actually the one Spud was digging. even seen a photo of him in it.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:37 pm

prospekta wrote:1 unit=$110 I believe.

NSW you gotta clean up on site, only minerals or gems can be taken away.
You can take your black sands as they are mostly minerals or gems.Same as Vic I think.

No that one was filled/contoured but the other ones weren't filled in until someone else did it in May --drove down the bank onto the creek in 4x4 made a terrible mess

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:41 pm

Goldsubaru wrote:
prospekta wrote:

No it was actually the one Spud was digging. even seen a photo of him in it.

actually all diggings are photographed when I leave my areas and emailed to the ranger so don't go off half cocked in future --all the holes that were left open were by a group at Easter

Back to top Go down

Post  sigron Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:02 pm

Panning  - how do you do it - Page 2 Lol
Just out of curiosity what are gardening angles .Some type of work tool ???
Still waiting for a GENUINE story

sigron
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:05 pm

Shovels with wings on them Panning  - how do you do it - Page 2 Icon_basketball

Back to top Go down

Post  sigron Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:11 pm

Not angel , but angle as in right angle No wings on them . Panning  - how do you do it - Page 2 Icon_lol

sigron
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:41 am

Hey Wombles,

I had the wrong site in mind. Alluvial gold prospectors proboards i think- i can't access from here?!!!

It is actually mind boggling how many forums are out there, but from what I have seen, I really think this one is the best, not only for layout but for the general good balance of posters.
Invitation only eh. At least someones got some mates Panning  - how do you do it - Page 2 Icon_lol

Cheers.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:49 am

I've got to agree with you there ferrous this is a good site for it's layout and good balance. For the AGP try
www.alluvialgprospectors.proboards.com

Cheers wombat

Back to top Go down

Panning  - how do you do it - Page 2 Empty Crevice hunting & boil pots

Post  Guest Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:51 pm

Another thing you chaps and ladies might want to try is hunting for hidden crevices and even 'boil' holes when out gold panning in a creek.

Near to where I live is a nice little gold fed creek that has a couple of rock bars that cross the creek. After floods you can return to known crevices and scrape out the detritus and gravels that get washed into the crevices. You then pan this and usually find some nice colours.
It's good to leave the crevices as you found it as it is a natures way of 'concentrating ' gold for you.

If you search the net you will probably find plans on how to make a crevice pump which can be used to extract the gravels out of the crevices, they are very similar to 'yabby' / bait pumps that fishermen use to collect bait. (can be used to draw up or even flush out a crevice)

Boil holes are similar but are usually shaped like a pot (not always), basically it's where there is a soft spot in the base of a creek, where water flowing over gouges out the 'weaker' soil leaving a hole. Good old gravity helps collect heavy materials in these which if you find one you can scrape out and pan.
You can also find these at the base of small waterfalls, but I have found that there is too much force from the rushing water to collect gold in, these look like 'cleaned pots' because very little collects there.
enjoy.
Scott

Back to top Go down

Post  Kon61gold Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:32 pm

I think you guys must know when I am not on and looking, for sometimes all hell breaks loose. I shouldn't have to look at every post, but if disagreements didn't occur then life would be dull.

I have deleted the offending posts so if you have anything to offer on Panning then please do so. If you chose to disagree or have issues with the other forum then you all know where the email button is.

I have read your comments on your PM to me and I thankyou for them. Still I have no issues with any of you and I thankyou for your contributions but please keep to the topic. Now where was that other topic I had to look at?

Jeff
Kon61gold
Kon61gold
Management

Number of posts : 4505
Registration date : 2008-10-16

https://golddetecting.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:52 pm

Clay Base wrote:hunting for hidden crevices and even 'boil' holes
Panning  - how do you do it - Page 2 Affraid

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:26 am

yep prospecta ive never had a boil that had gold in it!! Panning  - how do you do it - Page 2 Lol only pullin yer leg clay base -- yes it is good to find a hole with some good gold in it Panning  - how do you do it - Page 2 Icon_cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:33 am

how many of you guys have the Garrett sluice pan ( the newer one)? the reason i ask is that way back in the early 70's the green pan came out and they made a big thing about the "drop" in that pan ! and yes i think we have all come to accept that it is a great tool in getting ALL your fine gold to go and settle to the top of the pan as you tap the top edge.Now the new pan has a much wider bottom on it which is great BUT the drop is gone !!!! so now when you tap the top edge the finest gold climbs up the rim of the pan which annoys me! your feed back would be appreciated as im going to send an Email to Garrett asking that they bring back the "drop" Panning  - how do you do it - Page 2 Icon_biggrin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:44 am

If you search the net you will probably find plans on how to make a
crevice pump which can be used to extract the gravels out of the
crevices, they are very similar to 'yabby' / bait pumps that fishermen
use to collect bait. (can be used to draw up or even flush out a
crevice)

Clay base i agree that these units are a great tool in crevicing but be aware that there are some departmental staff who see these Yabby pump things as breaking the law in so much as you are not allowed to use a PUMP to shift water with sand or gravel in it!!!! wtf! yep it has happened i believe, they see no difference in that usage as say a dredge! and you can argue all ya want in the field with a ranger but in the end "the lands manager on the day has the final say" this was a stumbling block when I and many others were fighting for our/your rights in the ECC Box Ironbark Commission,we unfortunately failed to rescind that paragraph.
I know the PMAV is doing some work on many recreational issues for all of us at the moment hopefully saner minds will prevail.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:31 pm

Murachu I've got to agree with you about the Rangers and their line of thinking on Yabby Pumps, but when you look at it the Yabby pump will not work until you use human muscle power, same as a shovel will not work without muscle power. But some rangers classifie the Yabby Pump as a mechanical aid because it has moving parts. It is a thin red line and it depends on the ranger on the day. If it was a Back Hoe or something then you would see were they are coming from, but a Yabby Pump, nar, the damage that a yabby pump could do would be like a single drop in the Ocean.

Wombat

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:57 pm

yes wombat i think the line is that we would like is that it is classed as a hand tool

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:29 pm

You hit the nail right on the head Panning  - how do you do it - Page 2 Icon_biggrin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:06 pm

have we any members who use something other than a regular pan? such as the trinity or the pyramid pan ? your thoughts please

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:31 am

One 4x4 trip near Canberra "panned" up a nice bit of colour with a shovel-head and a fry-pan. Cool

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2